We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Thread - Messi am disapoint; Germany are the World Cup Champions!

Eudemon

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't describe how I am feeling right now after that match. You can of course try via GIF's though.

It's this kind of thinking which makes me almost hope the yes campaign wins. :rolleyes:

Edit: and this is coming from someone who isn't interested in football.

It's this kind of thinking which makes me almost hope the yes campaign wins. :rolleyes:
Aww waaah waaah. Seriously every other home country loves it when this happens to England because it shuts up the biased media and means we can watch the tournament without having to hear all about them.

Blame the media for why Scotland, Wales and NI revel in A(nyone)B(ut)E(ngland) at all the big tourneys.

Aww waaah waaah. Seriously every other home country loves it when this happens to England because it shuts up the biased media and means we can watch the tournament without having to hear all about them.

Blame the media for why Scotland, Wales and NI revel in A(nyone)B(ut)E(ngland) at all the big tourneys.

Oh believe me I completely hate how much focus the whole bloody world cup gets in the media, not just the English team. However you can't really complain about an English bias in the UK if none of the other countries are good enough to even qualify. And scotland haven't for what, 15-16 years? If they do, and the English still get over 70% of the attention then your rhetoric is completely fair enough. But to complain that the one country that qualified in the UK is getting a lot of attention within the UK just seems a bit pointless, which then highlights your wish to leave the UK, and shows that the reasoning you put for being 'ABE' in the quoted post, and the actual reason are two completely different things.

In this tournament, only England qualified out of the 4 within the UK, are you really suggesting our media not focus on that team? We are a helluva lot less nationalist than most countries on the planet, so i'm rather confused. I completely agree with being sick and tired of hearing about the england team and whatever, but its more to do with me being sick and tired of hearing about the england football team, the main word being football, not england.

And the whole 'ABE' and the whole independence thing is the scottish going 'waaah waaah' so i don't exactly understand that either.

Didn't take long for the mention of Scotland not qualifying and that's fair enough but the problem is even when all the home nations were in, the media focus was on Eng-er-lund - John Motson and Jimmy Hill always had to mention England in some form or another. Whether it was the last time they played one or both teams currently playing, or maybe how many of the officials were from England or perhaps even that one of the teams playing were at the '66 World Cup just so they could get that in. Thankfully it's reduced since those two have gone off but even your fellow countryman notice how often it slips into the talk and commentary even today. The ITV and BBC are broadcasting to the whole of the UK not just England, notice that other home countries tend to say the country name and not "we" when talking about the team. This is why ABE is so big and is nothing to do with our team being there or not.

And haha no the whole Independence "thing" isn't us going waaah waaah at all, it's about wanting to take more control over our own and that's it. A number of people want to hear Westminster say devo-max is ours if we say 'No' and job will be a good'un however if they wait till near the day and say it, it won't go down well and a good amount who were on the fence will just say Yes. There is also a growing feeling of let's go for it and see what happens, you may not hear about it but it is around, most recent I heard it myself was between staff in a shop in which a member of the public jumped in too and said "it cud be good, it cud be bad but if we don't gie it a try, we'll never know". I liked that and it makes sense.

You remind me of the comedian who said the "Better Together" campaigners are not even delivering that message as all they seem to be doing is telling Scotland how they will be "worse apart". You want to sound like you are putting across valid and important points but actually all that's coming across is "you need us" in a heavily condescending manner.

Anyway I thought you weren't into this that much, so why would you even know what we're talking about in regards to how the media makes everyone but England hate the England team?

I drafted a reply to that post but I think this just comes down to different opinions and perspectives and could go on forever :p

Though, I might not be 'into it', but my family are rather insane regarding football so I tend to know most things, just not by choice haha

The Arg v Iran game was extremely enjoyable and Iran fought hard right up until that little bit of brilliance from Messi near the end finally finished them off. Was very surprised by how they played and like many expected Argentina to comfortably win that one.

Now with Ghana v Germany, it's another brilliantly entertaining match for the neutral and as is usually the case you want the underdog to do well but I don't know if Ghana have the ability to properly string an attack together to get a goal, I can however see them throwing in some long-range efforts right at Neuer and maybe getting a lucky tap in from a ricochet.

This World Cup is one for surprises and great matches!