We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

I think the proportions of that 1 series saloon don't look too bad, if it had a similar front to the 2 series it'd be a cute little car.

Though yahhh it's diluting the brand image by having more FWD cars but most of the people purchasing the car probably won't care about that? So I do understand why they've done it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the proportions of that 1 series saloon don't look too bad, if it had a similar front to the 2 series it'd be a cute little car.

Though yahhh it's diluting the brand image by having more FWD cars but most of the people purchasing the car probably won't care about that? So I do understand why they've done it.

I think ladies in their 116i's and 118d's don't care about whether their new fancy BMW is FWD or RWD, but I think the main reason is that BMW wants to save some money while still filling every damn hole in their ever-growing line-up (by sharing the platform with Mini in this case). Unfortunately, this means it's the end of six cylinder engines in the 1 Series like the old 130i, which was one of the best driving Bimmers ever, and the M135i. :(

Maybe, but a $65,000 6 liter 1 series with no equipment in it (overpriced Aus spec) seemed rather daft to me. V8's still have a place amongst petrolheads, and no doubt Porsche will hang onto their signature flat 6 for as long as possible, but most V6's can pretty easily be replaced by turbo-4's these days, as already demonstrated by Merc, VAG, and Ford (>300 BHP).

Mildly interesting news:

According to an Audi fan page Fourtitude, RS version of the A3 Sedan is likely to come (even) to the USA. They say in the article that this was said at an employee meeting at Audi of America. Maybe even with a six speed manual gearbox, but I doubt that since the Europe-only RS 3 Sportback comes only with S tronic.

I would actually be surprised if Audi didn't make an RS 3 Sedan, though... Anyway, like the Fourtitude guys I see it as a kind of spiritual successor to the B5 S4 from the early 2000's. Both cars are almost of the same size and both have almost the same number of cylinders, but I'd say the same tuning capabilities.

I'll take one in blue, please.

In an industry where companies are cutting the amount of buttons dramatically, it's odd/refreshing to see Audi not giving a damn.

The interior looks great, but nothing special, both the outside and the inside seem to be 100% what most people would have guessed they'd be like, which is a huge shame, no imagination. It'll be a good car tho.

All the Mac's look almost the same now. There, I said it.

Feel free to post better pics if you've found some :)

As for them looking the same, I don't think they're quite as bad as the current Audi A4/A6/A8, C/S-Class, XE/XF. The only angle you'd get the 3 McLarens confused with each other really is the front, I think the side profiles and rear are different enough to not warrant too much criticism for being similar, having identifiable brand design features is alright.

Clear pics of the 570S

Better pics!

I actually quite like it now I've seen the whole design, I'm not sure how I'll feel about it once I see it in other colours, as I think that Orange is quite a flattering colour.

Considering this is supposedly meant to rival the Porsche 911 turbo S, those complaining it looks too similar to the rest of the McLaren range are obviously forgetting the:

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera S

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS Cabriolet

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS

- 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet

- 2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4

- 2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

- 2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4 GTS

- 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo

- 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet

- 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S

- 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet

- 2015 Porsche 911 GT3

- 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 RS

(Don't hate on me if there's an error above, i rushed through it :p)

And previous gen 911's too.

I'd say the 570S is much more distinguishable to most people than the 911 Turbo S is to a GTS, or even the non S Turbo. We'll probably get a cabrio, a hardcore version and a track-only version of this too, but that's still a lot less haha

But why should a more powerful version of a car, 911 in this case, look different/very distinguishable? Why should in your opinion a 911 GTS look different than a Turbo S? By the way, they look different if you are not blind and know a thing about Porsche. I don't get your point.

Have you seen such a car? If so, post a pic.

That reasoning is debatable to be honest. All the 911's are called 911; they are the same model and are meant to look the same. The 570S is supposed to stand on its own as opposed to be a version of the 650S. It'd be more fair to compare the 570S/650S and 911/Cayman to each other.

But why should a more powerful version of a car, 911 in this case, look different/very distinguishable? Why should in your opinion a 911 GTS look different than a Turbo S? By the way, they look different if you are not blind and know a thing about Porsche. I don't get your point.

My point is that the 911 Turbo S is hardly the most widely recognizable car in itself, yes the 911 itself is. I know it's not a singular model, I was just trying to point out that it's quite a common car. I do know the visual difference between those cars, but my point is that most people don't. Obviously people will recognise that a 911 GT3 looks a lot sportier than a Carrera. A lot of people will recognise a Turbo S, but even a lot of the people that purchase that turbo S might not know much about porsche, as it's a car to be seen in, a fashion accessory.

McLaren is a marque for automotive enthusiasts, who realistically expects the 'average blonde' (to use a stereotype) to choose a 650S over a Rosso Corsa coloured 458 Italia, the McLaren badge doesn't have half the world-renown reputation that a ferrari badge does. Like you said, anyone that knows anything about the marque will easily see the difference between the 3 McL vehicles but I also think that it's quite easy for non-auto enthusiasts too also.