We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

General Tech News/Discussion

Andreas¹

Got this idea after last night and this morning were full of exciting new things! Similar to the Salon de TDUCk, post and discuss any tech news you find. :)

[headline]GTX 980Ti reviewed - kicks Titan X where it hurts[/headline]

Starting off: GTX 980Ti reviewed: Titan-X-performance-for-less-than-Titan-X-money

Titan X is officially obsolete... probably

[headline]Windows 10[/headline]

Microsoft has started the sign-up process for Windows 10: official release date is July 29th.

Look at the lower right corner of your screen and a Windows icon has probably appeared in your taskbar, click and you can sign up to get Windows 10 as soon as it becomes available.

w10offerlogo.PNG

34557?l=eyJyZXNvdXJjZSI6IlwvYXJ0aWtlbFwvYmlsZFwvMzQ1NTciLCJmaWx0ZXJzIjpbInQ9YXJ0aWNsZUZ1bGwiXSwicGFyYW1zIjpbXSwia2V5IjoiMjNiZDE3OGY5MjdmMWNkY2QxMDNiOTkxNmUzM2JmMmMifQ%3D%3D

[headline]Broadwell CPUs[/headline]

Lastly but not leastly: Not sure about your countries but there are Swedish sites that are now taking preorders for the new line of Intel Broadwell CPU's, no release date yet though. More specifically it's the Core i7-5775C and i5-5675C. Both quite expensive as they're the C-versions, no word on normal K-versions yet.

The links are obviously in Swedish but you can probably read the specs anyway if you are interested:

Intel Core i7 5775C 3.3 GHz 6MB (Broadwell) - Inet.se (4249kr ≈ £307)

Intel Core i5 5675C 3.1 GHz 4MB (Broadwell) - Inet.se (3149kr ≈ £228)

Discuss :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't feel like creating a new thread so let me just ask you here. I'm looking for a laptop at the moment.

Acer_Aspire_V15_and_V17_Nitro_Black_Edition_high_end_notebooks.jpg

I've done some research already and I'm pretty set on the 15.6" Acer V15 Nitro Black Edition. I'm not a gamer at all, but would like to play some games from time to time. I want something that is future-proof, can be carried everyday and does have some battery life (I'm aware that it won't be MacBook-like). These are my favourites:

VN7-591G-70FN * i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz * 8GB DDR3 RAM * 4GB GTX 960M * 256GB SSD

VN7-591G-71Y3 * i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz * 12GB DDR3 RAM * 4GB GTX 860M * 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD

The biggest complain about the V15 Nitro is battery life (4 hours browsing the internet on wifi), other than that it seems to be pretty good for the money ($1,250/€1,100). They both cost the same money. I think that 256GB of space could be enough for me as I will have only a few games and office documents and I have a 160GB iPod as well.

I've read that the 960M card is basically an OC'd 860M and is, like, max. 10% better and therefore not worth the upgrade; but hey, the bigger the number the better, no?!

Which one is the better choice?

Thanks.

If you can live with the small SSD (SSD's aren't designed to be completely filled with stuff) there's no reason to go for the 71Y3 in my mind. 8GB of RAM is plenty for gaming and they got the same CPU. Neither one will be a gaming monster though and if being safe for the future is what you want, I wouldn't have gone for a 960M but that depends on what games you want to play. Linus Sebastian said he doesn't consider anything with less than a 970M a "gaming" laptop and that's probably what you'd want to be somewhat safe for future titles.

Thank you, guys.

I can always upgrade to a big HDD and install it without any problems since Acer sells the exact laptop with a 1TB HDD.

As for the graphics card... Well, I've found only a few laptops with the 970M card (MSI and Gigabyte I think?) and they're all out of my budget and majority of them are 17".

I'm going for the 70FN.

• 1 month later...

This is something different but it's still tech so I thought I'd put it here, you might have seen this already Ry, you said you watch WAN show but anyhoo:

The Skarp Laser Razor: 21st Century Shaving by Skarp Technologies Kickstarter

Basically, shaving with laser! I'm not going to fund it (not like they need it anyways) but if the finished product works whenever it gets released I might get one, I love this concept.

This is something different but it's still tech so I thought I'd put it here, you might have seen this already Ry, you said you watch WAN show but anyhoo:

The Skarp Laser Razor: 21st Century Shaving by Skarp Technologies Kickstarter

Basically, shaving with laser! I'm not going to fund it (not like they need it anyways) but if the finished product works whenever it gets released I might get one, I love this concept.

That seems like an incredibly slow way of shaving :lol: Also do we really need laz0rz when we have sharp metal thingies? :mhmm:

• 3 weeks later...
That seems like an incredibly slow way of shaving :lol: Also do we really need laz0rz when we have sharp metal thingies? :mhmm:

Slow because it's lika a pre-preproduction model; if the finished thing works the way they say it will then I'd get one straight away. What possible good are razors that fade and you keep needing to replace? :p That said, they've been pulled from Kickstarter so not sure what the future holds...

I found this a little surprising and quite impressive!

Running Battlefront at 1080P Ultra averaging ~100 FPS on two simultaneous VMs in one system

Saw that; it's an impressive concept but setting up the software was extremely fiddly. :yawn: The hardware is also very expensive so it'd probably be cheaper to get two full towers instead.

• 5 weeks later...
the telecommunications brand announced a new camera called BRITECELL that excels in darker conditions. The camera manages to achieve brighter, sharper results by getting rid of the traditional Bayer filter layout used in most smartphone cameras.

Samsung’s BRITECELL cameras can feature up to 20 million pixels measuring 1µm. Compare that to the 16MP cameras currently used with 1.12µm pixels. What’s more, because of the way these new BRITECELL sensors are made, camera modules in smartphones will be 17% thinner

This sounds very promising!

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/18/samsung-smartphone-camera-BRITECELL/

http://9to5google.com/2015/11/18/samsung-britecell-official/

That it does, I'd love to see some pictures taken with it though :hmmm: Hopefully if it's any good it'll be in the S7 (if it's any good I'll maybe upgrade next year instead of 2017).

• 1 month later...