We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Interesting Automotive Articles [Naughty Ferrari]

CarMadMike

Are they too strict? I don't think they are, i just think the deadline of when they needed to be met was a bit too unrealistic perhaps.

Winterkorn has now gone, he says he was unaware of any wrongdoing. Whether this is true or not i'm unsure, as i'm sure VW will do everything possible to ensure that they find a scapegoat, preferably one that has already left the company.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always the guy at the top at fault. With such a massive company, perhaps the decision was made by some other director lower down the hierarchy, but a CEO and also a risk/compliance officer would at least need to be aware of that kind of thing.

I wonder if the strict emissions thing in California is at all related to their love of electric Priuses and Tesla SuperCharge stations. Perhaps VW should have been pushing a beta version of their Golf E exclusively there. I know it goes against their ethos, but anyway.

This has been going on for over a week now, the silence from other car companies other than defending themselves from accusations is rather deafening. The VW is a bohemeth and is rather aggressive with its growth strategy, if I were Fiat or Ford i'd be trying to kick them while they're down and this doesn't seem to be happening. There are obviously a lot of nervous auto execs in the world atm.

• 2 weeks later...

VW engineers have admitted to have developed the software, installed on cars since 2008. It was made top priority when the EA189 engine was discovered to never be able to meet the emission regulations.

German media say it's a group of 12 people responsible for this, including the chief of research and development at Audi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Read the damn article :p

When repatriated to the mainland it was sent to renowned coach builders Coway Ltd of West Horton, Lancashire. At which time they embarked on converting the car to a station wagon. At the same time the car was completely re-trimmed in best quality hide along with a new headlining incorporating a DVD player.

I absolutely love it, It's such a huge *middle finger emoji* to society :lol:

Beginning of nearly the end? New cars added to the list, perhaps the living evidence of the story VW had a special department tasked with improving and further developing the ''cheating device''.

Volkswagen’s still untallied bill for its emissions violations just got bigger.

Today the Environmental Protections Agency and the California Air Resources Board notified the German auto manufacturer that it has identified emissions defeat devices installed in more vehicles throughout the Volkswagen Auto Group brand. The EPA and CARB says that VW, Audi and Porsche light duty diesel vehicles equipped with its 3.0 liter engines for model years 2014 through 2016 are also equipped with the defeat devices that throttle down nitrogen oxide (NOx) during emission testing. Volkswagen AG already was notified of violations found in VW and Audi vehicles equipped with its 2.0-liter diesel engine. The addition of the 3.0-liter diesel engine adds approximately 10,000 vehicles to the number of affected vehicles.

The expansion of the scandal from mainly VW to Audi and Porsche casts a dark shadow on these jewels of the VW AG crown. This could tarnish the reputation of these luxury manufacturers and potentially slow growth, even if only a small percentage of the vehicles are equipped with compromised diesel emissions systems.

“Audi, which has been on a roll in terms of sales, reputation and image of late, now is being drawn deeper into the quagmire,” says Michelle Krebs, senior analyst for Autotrader. “Previously, only the low-volume A3 was under scrutiny, but now Audi’s core models are under fire from regulators as well.”

Volkswagen will be required to fix these vehicle’s emissions systems, which on the road emit up to nine times EPA’s standard. CARB has set a November 20 deadline for the manufacturer to deliver a draft of recall plans.

Affected 2.0 liter diesel models include:

• Jetta (MY 2009 – 2015)
  • Jetta Sportwagen (MY 2009-2014)
  • Beetle (MY 2012 – 2015)
  • Beetle Convertible (MY 2012-2015)
  • Audi A3 (MY 2010 – 2015)
  • Golf (MY 2010 – 2015)
  • Golf Sportwagen (MY 2015)
  • Passat (MY 2012-2015)Affected 3.0 liter diesel models include:

• Volkswagen Touareg (MY 2014)
    • Porsche Cayenne (MY 2015)
    • Audi A6 Quattro (MY 2016)
    • Audi A7 Quattro (MY 2016)
    • Audi A8 (MY 2016)
    • Audi Q5 (MY 2016)

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyvkoff/2015/11/02/dieselgate-woes-grow-for-vw/

It's getting to the stage where everyone is guilty until innocent. So much news and scandal is coming out that you kind of a feeling about, then you hear someone else who you probably imagined would have been a great replacement has been doing the same!

So from now on I hate everyone until they prove they're good. :cheeky:

I really hope Merc have been good. :eek:

TIL North Korea makes cars: Yes, North Korea makes cars, and here are the latest models

Pyeonghwa Motors, whose name is Korean for “peace,”
:rofl:

They provide spare parts? :mhmm: I'd imagine turning up there to tell them your government produced vehicle broke would be enough for execution. :hmmm:

Also, the ads on that site absolutely murdered this computer. :susp:

:rofl:

They provide spare parts? :mhmm: I'd imagine turning up there to tell them your government produced vehicle broke would be enough for execution. :hmmm:

Also, the ads on that site absolutely murdered this computer. :susp:

Paha, never even thought of that.

"Hi, my car needs a service.."

"You sure about that?"

"Nope, you're right, it's the best car in the world!..."

• 4 weeks later...

Despite allocating $10b + to fixing their emissions, VAG are still maintaining a few expensive projects, including

* their Veyron replacement, the Chiron. 100 orders are already on the books. Everything is improved, including the rumored 1500bhp output.

* Audi LMP programme for 2016

• 2 weeks later...

Mr.Orlove from Jalopnik is most usually known for being extremely weird (very humorous because of this, it's his 'thing'), at times it can come across as tiring and taking away from the story being discussed, but I have new respect for the guy after reading this article, great automotive journalism and a really interesting read:

The Mysterious, Disputed Birth Of Americas Greatest Supercar

It's an article that tries to discover just how Saleen came about making the S7 and how it's a story covered in lies, secrets and mystery. It's not a short article but it's a very interesting read nonetheless.

Quite cool that another of America's greatest supercars has a fair amount of british blood running through its veins, along with the AC Cobra and the Ford GT40 :D

Driving instructors 'may offer lessons in return for sex', Netherlands government confirms - Telegraph

Driving Instructors In The Netherlands Can Now Be Paid In Sex

The government in the Netherlands has clarified that it is legal for driving instructors to offer lessons in return for sex, as long as the students are over the age of 18.