We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Car dobs in hit-run suspect

Ryzza5

xJ9S6CYkbfqrCVVG4cKsbdAzaZuR1e.png

Connected cars are all the rage these days. Live traffic conditions, navigational points of interest, online radio, social feeds, accident avoidance, even auto-pilot functions are available on the latest and greatest models.

One feature available in the United States is “911 Assist”, as marketed by Ford Sync. The car detects when it has been in an accident (likely monitoring air bag deployment) and calls the emergency services for you via your bluetooth-connected mobile phone, just in case you are incapacitated.

It also turns out to be a handy hit-run dobberinnerer.

Continue reading...

In that sort of situation I'd appreciate the tech doing that, idiot shouldn't have tried to run in the first place. And in a case where you may be knocked unconscious from an impact it could be a literal lifesaver. But in the scenario mentioned above of speeding, that could be a real pita, it already is in fact with those damn average speed cameras. :fp:

The panic of black boxes surfaced a few years ago but nothing became of it. It seems that speed isn't logged like some thought it might. Then again, it also seemed that emissions were above board too.

There is one exception, and it's not even a 'smart car' thing as I've seen it on an older Fords in the 90's (some police investigation show). If someone has a big enough crash the speedometer dial freezes on the speed of impact. Not sure if that was a common feature though.

The panic of black boxes surfaced a few years ago but nothing became of it. It seems that speed isn't logged like some thought it might. Then again, it also seemed that emissions were above board too.

There is one exception, and it's not even a 'smart car' thing as I've seen it on an older Fords in the 90's (some police investigation show). If someone has a big enough crash the speedometer dial freezes on the speed of impact. Not sure if that was a common feature though.

That's a great idea if it never messes up. Better using a couple of different methods of recording the same date data perhaps.

I am pretty sure that happens on most cars in a big crash