We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

No Man's Sky Goes Gold

TurboDuck

[headline]No Man's Sky Goes Gold[/headline]

AlpineFly-800x300.png

No Mans Sky, if you've not heard of this title yet from (former) indie developer Hello Games then where have you been and how did you find a rock big and light enough to live under for the past 2 years?

Anywho, I digress, one of my most eagerly anticipated games of the year and possibly decade so far...

Read more on this...

It is indeed. A single "piece" of coding that generates each and every planet from a string of letters and/or numbers. Same goes for the vast array of lifeforms too. Very smart indeed.

I'd be surprised if the core part of the game was more than 100MB, or even 50MB.

Does anyone else keep finding themselves visiting the store page for this and then wondering when Steam began selling games at those kinds of prices? :eek:

How much is it in AUS? It's £39.99 for me, which is pretty standard pricing for new games :hmmm:

Working out to be around $80 AUD, which for a long time has been a standard price in physical shops but I rarely seem to spend that much in Steam. No big deal, I will get it regardless.

--- Post Updated ---

Even though there is a TDU-esque multiplayer system, basically due to the size of the map and it's 3rd dimension, and lack of identifying players apart from NPC ships, you're never going to meet up.

The 'true' way to play this game with friends is to share your adventure + experiences either in person (home LAN party!) or via social networks.

Alternatively everyone can try and race towards the centre of the universe.

Think of it like generating the world in Minecraft, as you walk, you generate more of the world – and things get pretty taxing after a while, because Minecraft is saving a lot of this information. No Man’s Sky however throws this information in the trash when it’s not needed – the planet is simply regenerated from the same seed, if you will, when you return.

How does it handle your information?

Anything you do is saved forever to your machine, that bird you killed, that terrain you destroyed, that blueprint you found, etc. but for everyone else, that planet is as untouched as the day you found it.

So how does the game handle two players being in the same area?

When you and another player are in the same area, unlikely as it is given the scale of a universe, with planets that can be the size of Earth or bigger, you’ll be placed in the same lobby – in this lobby data is shared. The terrain one player blows up is visible on the other players machine, and so on and so forth.

So how do you plan on playing?

* Exploring, roaming, discovering, naming.

* Mining, Crafting, Trading, Upgrading.

* Shooting, stealing, defending

* No preference, everything in equal amounts

Apparently a non-essential story goal is to reach the center of the universe to discover secrets behind the Sentinels. You can discover portals on planets that take you closer, but you can only walk through them. Meaning you lose your ship. Would you?

If you die whilest walking on a planet you lose all resources that you were carrying but respawn next to your ship with all its contents. So bank your resources often in case you upset sentinels while mining. However if you die in flight you lose just about everything, respawning with a new basic ship at a nearby space station.

Learn more here

“What do you do in No Man’s Sky?†and other questions – Answered : NoMansSkyTheGame

And here

No Man's Sky Information Repository

Do you think we will need a NMS subforum?

No Man's Sky is not an MMO

While it does feature multiplayer, it does not affect gameplay at all. The offline experience will be almost exactly the same as the online experience

Friends will show on the galactic map

You will be able to see other players

Only a few people can be seen at one time. If lots of people converge on an area, then you will only see a few of them

Friends do not take priority in regards to who can be seen

There will be PvP

It is unknown whether players will be able to trade between them

There's no actual LAN multiplayer btw, just put two screens side by side.

So how do you plan on playing?

* Exploring, roaming, discovering, naming.

* Mining, Crafting, Trading, Upgrading.

* Shooting, stealing, defending

* No preference, everything in equal amounts

I think I'll be trying all of them but will probably lean towards the exploring/trading side of things. I tend to be a hoarder in game for some reason which is odd as I don't hoard things in normal day to day life. :hmmm:

So theres no option to squad up, or form some sort of alliance with friends or anything?

I have a feeling that douche people gonna ruin the experience in this game, like they do on GTA:O

Nope, no option to squad up or join other people. And I find it very unlikely that you'll run into any trouble seeing as though the game is as big as a universe.... Even if the entire population of Earth was online in the game at the same time, you'd probably not come across other people very often, it at all.

Okay. New goal, tduck meet up at the center of the universe.

New new goal, meet up at my spawn point. There will be cookies. :nods:

Nope, no option to squad up or join other people. And I find it very unlikely that you'll run into any trouble seeing as though the game is as big as a universe.... Even if the entire population of Earth was online in the game at the same time, you'd probably not come across other people very often, it at all.

This really gives you a good perspective on the actual size of space and the unlikelihood of encountering another intelligent life-form or a planet that could host us hoomans.

The game world definitely is beyond huge (just watch those video clips of them flying through the galactic map). However, (with quite a bit of time + dedication), reaching the center of the galaxy that everyone starts off in (it seems there are other galaxies) is possible. Therefore meeting players, perhaps even friends, should be possible. Even if it's just the 5% of hardcore players. If everyone has the one destination then suddenly the massive size of the map is much smaller (made irrelevant by being ignored).

To illustrate, this planet, with no cars or roads or air planes is massive for us to travel accross. If I knew you were somewhere on the opposite side of it, but had no idea which continent or country (in-game star systems are comparibly undiscovered) then it would be 'impossible' to suggest we could meet up. But now if we bring back direct travel and a common destination, it's much more plausible to suggest we could all get on a plane, fly to NYC and then work out the finer time+place details for meeting up. This doesn't change how massive China is for example, but it's irrelevant if neither of us is traversing it to reach NYC.

So is anyone up for the challenge? Apparently the closer you get to the center the harder the game (i.e. alien spiecies and economy) gets.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
:rofl2:

Anyway, there's a new update scheduled for release very s**n

Path Finder Update Coming Soon | No Mans Sky

To be fair, these updates seem to be making massive improvements. Although I suppose they've started with poop and now they're trying to polish it. :shrug: Ah I dunno. I'd like to give it ago but I'm not paying £40 for it. Hell I wouldn't pay £20 for it either.

Details released - quite a lot has been going on.

v71rW9J.png

Path Finder Update : No Mans Sky

Given I haven't yet tried the 1.01 update yet (bases and freighters) I might give this another go. I think I was last on a planet which finally had valuable resources (those orb thingo's) - which might be important since it seems rewards have gone down and the amount of things to spend units on has increased dramatically. I wonder if the new auto-harvesting mechanism will work with it.

The problem with leaving is that I've found my first black hole in this system, so don't know how easy/hard/impossible it is to return.

btw is anyone kind-of interested in starting a new (separate) save in Permadeath difficulty to see how far they can get before dying (in comparison/competition with other forum members here)???

• 5 months later...