We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Just got the 3 Red Lights!! (Have a read it may help)

FA430RGT

Just turned the 360 on and to my horror the 3 red lights (of doom) started flashing.. I've currently using the in-famous "Towel trick" (Google it to see what I mean) and hopefully (by some miracle) the 360 will be fixed.. As I'm writing this I have noticed a few strange rather recent events whilst playing on the 360.. The most recent is whilst playing any game really the console crashes.. The screen sort of turns into a diagonal form of the game before it happened. However about and hour ago (if that) I left the 360 on and came to the computer and when I returned it had crashed on the marketplace blase (I had left it there) and it was just when I had finished a download as the little Icon saying "So and So has just been downloaded" was imprinted at the bottom and wasn't going. So like anyone else I just turned it off and left it to watch some normal TV..

Be Warned I have started shifting pictures from a little pen drive as my background wallpaper very recently and I'm not sure weather or not it ended up playing a part in the presence of the 3 Lights.. I'd say it's been about 3 minutes I've been writing this message I will write to you lot again shortly once I finish the "Towel Trick" and tell you what future actions I will have to take because of this... And all I can say is.. What a timing!! :damnit: Oh and last and probaly most important is a huge increase of useage for the pass couple of days aswell which is possibly had a factor aswell!! Also tips on what to do are nicely requested! Also past experiances would be nice..

EDIT----------- (After about 20 Minutes)

Just removed the towel and and placed 360 ready to press the button. As I did the screen started up as normal for about a second at the most before cutting out and we have a result! My console is now only displaying 2 Red Lights instead of 3 (great).. I'll check back here in about 25 minutes I've just disconnected the power supply and am now letting the 360 cool down..

EDIT (x2)------------ (Aftermath)

Well it appears that the internet has once again proved its worth and it seems all is well.. The temperature is back to normal it has started up and run normally before I turned it off (by choice) and I will keep in touch with this thread if problems arise)..

ALSO: 1500 Post wOOt!!

Here a referance for those who don't know what the lights mean.. Made very clear for you ;)

Xbox 360: Two red lights flash on the Ring of Light

SYMPTOMS

The two left quadrants of the Ring of Light flash red on the front of the Xbox 360 console.

CAUSE

This behavior occurs when the internal temperature of the console exceeds the acceptable limits. You may think of this as too hot, overheating, and so on.

Xbox 360: Three red lights flash on the Ring of Light

SYMPTOMS

You see three lights on the Ring of Light (RoL) flash red on the front of the Xbox 360 console. The upper-right quadrant light is the only light that does not flash red.

CAUSE

This behavior occurs when the Xbox 360 console experiences a hardware failure.

Xbox 360: Four lights flash red on the Ring of Light

SYMPTOMS

All four lights on the Ring of Light flash red on the front of the Xbox 360 console.

CAUSE

This issue may occur if one of the following conditions is true:

The audio-visual (AV) cable is not correctly connected to the Xbox 360 console.

The cable is not being detected by the console. This issue is not caused by incorrectly plugging the AV cable into a TV, a stereo, or a VCR.

Ahh check all your cables first, if nothing, then you have an issue so phone Microsoft, the 3 red lights of death problem is expanded to 3 years in the warranty and the work is done free including pickup and delivery.

I will do in about 10 minutes because I want to be 100% sure nothing can be done by me because its going to take soo long with the whole repair deal.. Plus I have some.. Missing stickers on the console which might be a minor problem but I've just had a good friend running the whole return process with me and the 3 year extension aswell!!

Your not the only one, mines been playing up loads lately aswell, the disc tray doesn't always want to open, normally when I first turn it on, Fifa always freezes and says disc read error when someone lquits a match or makes subs (the sub one is occasionally), Its put a 3/4 inch crack on Saints Row fom centre of the disc outwards, Scratched Crackdown when I first got it and now TDU and it loves saying when I boot up a game please put this game into a 360 console or it justrdoesn't load the game and just stays on the dashboard spinning.

If it is over heating alot of people aim a desk fan at it to try and keep it cool. Don't bother with them aftermarket coolers as some of them have been known to alter the current and cause very small spikes which the 360 detects it and it then crashes.

Hopefully its just being a bit temperamentle which mine does, sometimes it'll work for weeks and be fine other times it'll be a pain for ages. If not at least M$ has extended the warrenty but then you run the risk of getting a recon/banned unit back on which your DLC wont work.

I too have the 3 lights now! No problems with my 360 and now this happens. Just over a year old too...

Your lucky that they have just extended the warranty for 3 years as you would have had to pay to get it fixed or buy a new one.

I know I should really be creating my own thread, but I was thinking about getting a 360 until I read this thread and found out about all your problems. Do you recommend it, or is it just a waste of money beacuse it seems like a lot of hassle to me? Thanks :)

Thats quite an interesting point.. I never thought of getting an Elite if my current 360 went down.. I believe I got my about 2 years ago now..

Trouble is if you go down that route you cannot transfer any DLC the units as all DLC is lock to the consoles code so you either have to try and get your points back off M$ or you have to buy them again.

I know I should really be creating my own thread, but I was thinking about getting a 360 until I read this thread and found out about all your problems. Do you recommend it, or is it just a waste of money beacuse it seems like a lot of hassle to me? Thanks :)

In the words of Clrkson describing an Alfa Romeo "They always break down or things always go wrong but when it all works its the best thing ever".

That qoute may not be exact but he says something along those lines.

This is the first problem I've had with my 360. I've had it 14 months and it's never done anything major like this.

As for Nodz's other post about DLC being locked. Does that mean if I get a refurbished console back I have to go through all the hassle of getting my points back?

By the way, +rep for Nodz. Thanks, man!

This is the first problem I've had with my 360. I've had it 14 months and it's never done anything major like this.

As for Nodz's other post about DLC being locked. Does that mean if I get a refurbished console back I have to go through all the hassle of getting my points back?

By the way, +rep for Nodz. Thanks, man!

Unfortunately yes and theres a new problem aswell. It used to take 3 weks from when you sent off your console to get it or a recon back but now they have blocked modded, chipped, flashed 360's from using live all them people have been sending them in to get them fixed and getting a recon back which ment other people where getting a blocked 360 back so the time it takes to return a 360 has gone up as they have to get them unblocked.

thanks for the rep.

Well the 3 red lights have struck again this morning so i'll most likely be calling microsoft later today if not tomorrow as I have plans tonight.. I'm doing the Towel Trick again but this will porbaly be my last time doing so as I don't think it's too healthy for the system..

im the next guy to be struck down by the 3 red lights of death,

had mine just over a year now, think it would of lasted a whole lot longer, but where i had my xbox, it got very hot down there, didn't do it any good, currently saving up for a new telly to play my xbox on, looks like that will have to wait a while