We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

GTA IV delayed until 2008

Who

From IGN PS3

US, August 2, 2007 - In a conference call set to begin at 5:30pm EST today, Rockstar Games will announce that it will delay the release of its highly-anticipated title Grand Theft Auto IV. Previously slated to hit stores on October 17th, the game will now make its way to gamers some point early next year.

In technical, company jargon, Rockstar has moved its release from the fourth quarter of fiscal 2007 to the second quarter of its fiscal 2008. In real-world terms, this means the title will ship sometime between February 1st and April 30th, 2008.

The reason for the delay is simple: Rockstar North needs more time to polish it. Given the game's exceptionally high expectations, Rockstar has chosen to push back the release a handful of months rather than rushing the title out to market.

Sam Houser, founder and executive producer of Rockstar Games, had this to say: "The new consoles are allowing us to create the Grand Theft Auto game we always dreamed about. Every aspect of the game and its design has been completely transformed. The game is huge and is pushing the hardware platforms to their absolute limits. The top engineers from Sony and Microsoft are working closely with the team in Edinburgh right now, helping us to fully leverage the power of both platforms. As always, our goal is to surpass even the wildest expectations of the game's fans, and to create the ultimate high definition video game experience."

Shame really, but I guess if they make the game better then it'll be worth it. Really looking forward to playing ti for the first time, I love it when a new game lives up to your expectations, and the GTA series always does, always pushing the boundaries of greatness.

P.S. Edinburgh WTF? Lol :)

Good find Lwsbrck, Shame thats happened was really looking forward to it for Xmas. Looks Like I'll be on Rock Band or GH3 at Xmas then.

Theres rumors going round that the 360 version is nearly done but its the PS3 they are having problems with. Not sure how true this is but are developers say that the PS3 is way harder to work with than the 360.

Shame really, but I guess if they make the game better then it'll be worth it. Really looking forward to playing ti for the first time, I love it when a new game lives up to your expectations, and the GTA series always does, always pushing the boundaries of greatness.

P.S. Edinburgh WTF? Lol :)

Rockstar has got offices all over the place and the one in in Edinburgh has been responsible for a large amount of the scripts in previous GTA's and alot of other things to do with it aswell.

As part of Sony's deal with Rockstar, Rockstar can't release the 360 version version before the PS3 version for obvious reasons (ps3 sales slump - 360 sales go up) so thats the reason why us 360 owners have to wait.

There is zero chance that the 360 version would go on sale because I presume Sony will sue Rockstar for millions.

Just thought I will let everyone know.

As part of Sony's deal with Rockstar, Rockstar can't release the 360 version version before the PS3 version for obvious reasons (ps3 sales slump - 360 sales go up) so thats the reason why us 360 owners have to wait.

There is zero chance that the 360 version would go on sale because I presume Sony will sue Rockstar for millions.

I do believe I heard that too. What has NOT been confirmed though, is it's the fault of the PS3 that the game has been delayed. I think Rockstar hinted at it, but didn't actually give a full statement saying it was the fault of the PS3.

Still, I heard somewhere else, and there was a quote given, that the 360 version will have more content in their version thanks to Microsoft's pennies, but the PS3 will have a separate GTA game that will not be out on the 360...

I don't think anyone knows the date as Amzon is saying 25th April 08, Game is sayin TBC 08 and Rockstars own store is still saying October.

Even worse is that Amazon U.S. is saying 30th June 08. But then EB games U.S. is saying the 3 March 08 so no one knows.

Maybe the game is not delayed and they are just creating pubicity and it will still come out in October ???

It could be that you never now.

Doubtful. People who are hoping for this game will be gutted it won't be coming out on the original release date and go out and buy another game. I don't think Rockstar will risk people not having enough money to buy GTA 4 too.

So what am I to play around Christmas time?

Band of Brothers : Hells Highway and/or Call of Duty 4.. Those are the two that I've been watching for months.. Shame about GTA thou :(

Thanks for that.. Can't say it's not a clever move but in a way it doesn't make sense.. Only a very small % of gamers will go back to buy the 360 just for GTA therefore PS3 Owners will just wait (pissed off ofcourse, but wait nevertheless).. Therefore, I say it's dirty, but good tactic :(

And no, I wish no one to quote this and say that I've gone wrong somewhere.. Thank you..

It's reported on the BBC News site ... share price in Rockstar has dropped by 16%

So what am I to play around Christmas time?

Certainly be worth buying some shares now then as with Manhunt 2, a 360 version of Bully/Canis Canis Canem (sp?) and of course GTA IV, R* are going to have one hell of a 2008. Not to mention the PS3 exclusive franchise they are working on also.

Come on the Scots !! Rockstar North is a legend and they are Scottish. lol

well that really sucks. i was lookin forward to it. well, it better be the best game ver with that extra few months

Same here, but I guess it would be better in one way. I rather them to take more time to make the game better and no bugs/glitches than to release it asap.

Same here, but I guess it would be better in one way. I rather them to take more time to make the game better and no bugs/glitches than to release it asap.

Same again :P But as it goes I never seem to get past half way - either because I get bored, or a new game comes out, so if they only released half the game... I'd be fine - and ofc at half the price XD