We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Help save the Badgers! (If you care that is)

The Queen

Hello. Just found this link today and I signed myself so I hope some of you lot do. I don't think it's fair that they are about the cull off 120 Badgers plus so I signed the petition. Their target is 25,000 signatures and we might be able to add to the growing tnumber to reach the amount there should be. I hope you feel the same as me and maybe we can make a difference as a community ;)

You don't need to be based in the UK to sign the petition!

Website Link - http://www.backoffbadgers.org.uk/

Please post here if you have signed, Thanks!

I signed because you guilt tripped me on MSN, otherwise I think this should be in "The Bin." I think that shows my view on it adequately :rolleyes::oook:

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) -- VS-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

I think they chose the wrong picture, don't you?

P.S. That was just a joke, save the badgers ;) (Yes I was guilt tripped again :()

Also to add to my point. No wonder the Badger was angry. I found the article the picture was from

On Poking Badgers With Sticks

Our lack of research and knowledge isn’t the only problem. Technology is moving faster than it ever has before, which is causing far more anxiety than ever. As Dr. Aaron Delwiche points out in his must-read article, You Can and Must Understand Technology Now, we all need to ask ourselves, “a very simple question: ‘Am I willing to learn new things?’ And, if so, ‘Am I willing to continue learning new things for the rest of my life?’” If you have the time to read my article on “addiction,” then you have the time to read Aaron’s article on technology. No, really. Check it out.

So will people choose to learn new things, choose not to, or refuse to choose? How ever you slice it, there’s a fear and anxiety that’s closely tied to ignorance. With this in mind, we can start to see where a lot of this game-related anxiety comes from. It’s tied, in part, to more broad social fears of technology. Stanford University’s Nick Yee has been looking at the trouble with calling games “addictive,” and noted that, “the level of social acceptance for technologies, objects, and people influences how likely we blame them in analogous scenarios, and how likely we take on holistic as opposed to narrow perspectives in trying to explain the problem."

badger.jpgSo not ‘getting’ games is like a stick. The mass of people who don’t understand technology, they’re like an angry badger. The badger is already pretty feisty, but give it a poke or two with the ignorance stick and it's seething. Let’s suppose, for the moment, that one particular badger is completely unwilling to understand technology or games. If somebody close to that badger, say a friend or family member, plays games, it would be a lot more difficult for the badger to tell if that person actually had a problem. The badger may very likely drag a perfectly healthy gamer away from a perfectly healthy hobby.

Most people have no desire to be a badger. They know that a lot of people just play for fun. They want and need to become informed, but right now the information out there is ridiculously bad. To turn the analogy in a slightly different direction, gamers face incessant stick-poking by questionable, even laughable information on game “addiction.” With enough harassment, they’d be well within their right to become badgers, except with the major difference that they “get” games, and to varying degrees technology. They’re becoming badgers because they keep getting poked by other people’s ignorance. If good information were available it would be one more area where society could get informed and move on.

So therefore it looks like you were wrong ;). Also it is a different type of Badger. Even says so in the article ;)

To be honest if its gunna kill thousands of cattle surely that saving a few lifes just to kill many more, just becouse badgers are fluffy and can be used in inuendo jokes dosn't really mean they should come above other animals imo. I don't really know enough about the subject but if it will save lots of other animals i'm not agaisn't it.

d'you realise what badgers carry?

it's called Tetanas, do you want that, i don't think you do, i sure as hell know i don't.

also one of the worst animals in the world is a honey badger, they may sound nice, until you hear that they can kill porqupines with just there mouths.

i don't think i want to save the badgers or get tetanus TY