We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Chris Evans Spends Record £5m On Ferrari

hesonly5

BBC DJ Chris Evans has paid more than £5m for a Ferrari - making it the most expensive car ever sold at auction.

The star bought the 250 GT SWB California Spyder, owned by Hollywood actor James Coburn, in Maranello, Italy.

Evans, 42, paid twice the estimated price for the car at RM Auctions' Ferrari Leggenda e Passione event.

The auction house said the car was sold for 7.04m euros (£5.09m). It had been estimated to fetch 3.4m-3.8m euros.

Coburn, who appeared in The Great Escape, sold the car in 1987 and it has since had a number of private owners.

'Determined'

RM Auctions founder Rob Myers told the BBC News website that the car's link to Coburn was a factor in pushing up the price.

"I think it was a very valuable piece of the car's history and it seemed like the potential buyers were more than usually interested in the car because of that history.

"Chris Evans seemed very determined to have it, but a couple of other people were very determined as well, which drove it to that level.

"We had high expectations for the car, but not that high."

Source

Oooops didn't notice this thread ... but hey it's a beautiful car so why not have multiple threads ... I blame ramdomus anyway for not tacking this onto my thread about the auction.

As to the price Chris paid for the car ... I think it is too much even for the ONE car I'd love to own ... it was supposed to go for about £2.5mil which is far more 'sensible' ... but hey they only made 56 of the things and they don't come up for sale that much

Wow, i didn't know Chris Evans was that bothered about cars, he didn't seem it on Top Gear. I wonder where he got that kind of money from.

I'd absolutely love to have one of those. I'd rather not have the SWB but i'd still be ecstatic if i had the money for one and got one :D.

Wow, i didn't know Chris Evans was that bothered about cars, he didn't seem it on Top Gear. I wonder where he got that kind of money from.

I'd absolutely love to have one of those. I'd rather not have the SWB but i'd still be ecstatic if i had the money for one and got one :D.

he's actually known for collecting classic and vintage cars

I think he owns e-types and original mustangs and the likes

Oh and I won't get into arguements over SWB and LWB Cali Spiders ... personal choice ... but for me it has to be the SWB

Just saw it today. Was thinking of posting it up but I see it has already been done.

The California is an amazing car especially in black. Hope Evans enjoys his purchase as I know I would :D

I disagree with Baldy as I think it was worth every single penny and it is very rare!

I like this car this much its in my sig, You likey?

Erm well that's not what he paid for ... he paid for a '61 GT California SPIDER SWB not a Berlinetta as per your sig

oh and that's a SWB in my 'avatar' pic ... well technically it's not as it's the mock-up used in Ferris Bueller ... they only used a real Cali for the close-up shots in Cam's dad's garage

Yeah I am also a sucker for classic Ferrari's. Amazing pieces of kit and these two are no exception.

I saw a lovely 250 Lusso. It looked completely mint and I as I walked through the door into the showroom where it was my jaw dropped to the floor :D

Infact heres one of the pictures I took of it ;)

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/IMG_0981.jpg

Wow, Thats alot of money, I wouldent spend that much for only one car though but hey the guy is rich.

If you had that money to spend on a car and found out there was a 1960s Viper i bet you would spend that much money on it. I sure as hell would. If i had that money to spend on a car i would spend a million on a '63 Skyline :P.

1960 viper? WHERE? WHERE? Ill BUY IT FOR 10 MILLION , GIMME GIMME GIMME.

Drift, you can't use the viper as an example, its the ONLY car that I would waste over 5mil

Hehe, yeah, i guess you're right. Yeah, i'm a LWB person too, i just can't stand it when idiots don't know how wide their Zonda's are and cause traffic jams because they can't fit their car down the goddamn road :mad:.