We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Rumor: "Avatars" are Microsoft's take on Mii's?

Nodz86

Rumor: "Avatars" are Microsoft's take on Mii's?

Posted Jun 15th 2008 2:00PM by Terrence Stasse

Filed under: News, Xbox Live, Rumors

xboxavatar.jpg

Well, well, well, what have we here? Looks like we're finally getting some real evidence that Microsoft really does have some sort of response to Nintendo's Miis on the way. It's been rumored for some time now and the above shot of the linked flash page seems to portend the end of the rumors. Giving the rumor more credibility is that the information contained in the image, supposedly taken from an online survey, conforms to details recently given to Joystiq by a trusted source. These "Xbox Avatars" certainly look to do everything that Miis do and more.

Taking into account that Microsoft doesn't seem too troubled by the rest of the year, this, along with the rumored "Newton" controller, could possibly be what they're betting the farm on.

Hmm ... E3 should sure be interesting this year ...

[Thanks Mighty Healthy]

Source

yeah I heard about this ... well MS couldn't stay with the 'avatar' they have at the moment for long ... don't Sony have a 3d avatar thingy coming out soon

the interesting thing will be how you create your avatar and also how you use it ... anyone for a small world where you can just chat to your friends?

As usual Microsoft can't keep anything undisclosed, I even heard they have leaked Activision's games and also some games that aren't even for the Xbox 360. lol

They've stolen something else also, what was it, ehh ....uhh ...oh yeah Lips aka SingStar which has been really popular on the PlayStation. And that rumour regarding Forza 3 with 2 discs, 400 cars and 100 tracks. Hmm 100 tracks or is it 100 ribbons? :D

Haha, I was going to post the Forza one but it just seemed like complete.. erm... rubbish to put it nicely.

I read the one about Lips and that seems like something they would do, as it is successful on the PS and the amount they could make via DLC.

• 4 weeks later...

so what do people think of the new look dashboard and avatars that have been shown at E3 ?

I think the dash board looks very Sony (sorry to all those people out there who think it's a swear word) and as to the avatars they look like they've stepped out of 'Theme Park' or a game similar

lets just hope they've got the serves ready as it looks like it's going to be a 'small' download when it's released (please note all sarcasm is intentional)

Woot, unnecessary updates FTW!!!

Xbox Dashboard and Guide looks and functions just fine as it is, really no need to add all this rubbish other than to make it look all fancy which is really stupid, after all, how many of you seriously give a damn about all the new features that got added after the last update? Can you even name a feature that you used more than once? I can't.

Woot, unnecessary updates FTW!!!

Xbox Dashboard and Guide looks and functions just fine as it is, really no need to add all this rubbish other than to make it look all fancy which is really stupid, after all, how many of you seriously give a damn about all the new features that got added after the last update? Can you even name a feature that you used more than once? I can't.

Most of that is true but I did make good use of the extra video codecs that were in the last update before i got my PC

Well just found these shots from Major Nelsons Flikr

looks good I just hope the 360 can handle it as my guide as dashboard seem to lag sometimes when online during peak xbl times.

Edit:

Just had a thought, all those themes and avatars that people have been buying over the past few years, does this upgrade make them obsolete and useless thus all them points they have spent are wasted??

Obviously they've never played on a Wii then as Miis have arms and legs ... OK not very complex ones but they have one

Isn't something similar coming to the PS3 soon too ? I think it was called 'Home' or something with 3D avatars ...

And you could just say it rips off Second Life or something like that ... as it looks like you'll be able to 'wander' around and chat to your mates with all your Avatars in some virtual space

I say if its a good idea why not use it ... I just hope MS don't COCK up the update ... and I also wonder how big the update is in terms of disk space!

Yeah I keep hearing about Second Life as it's all the MS boi's bring up and you know what fair enough Sony imitated/ripped it, at least people can admit that, them on the other hand, you would think Microsoft's founder was Adam or something as they seem to have invented everything.

I'm keeping my Calgary Flames 'C' :cool:.

I use it to show my support to my favourite hockey team, I certainly won't be happy if I have to use a 'mii' instead well unless EA bring out a Jersey pack then I don't mind :cheeky:.

Besides its a stupid idea, Microsoft have just looked at the wii and said "we need our own mii's because its worked for Nintendo".

I guess only time will tell if this is successful or not ........