We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Microsoft Tricks Vista-haters.

hesonly5

REDMOND, Wash.--After months of searching for ways to defend its oft-maligned Windows operating system, Microsoft may just have found its best weapon: Vista's skeptics.

Spurred by an e-mail from someone deep in the marketing ranks, Microsoft last week traveled to San Francisco, rounding up Windows XP users who had negative impressions of Vista. The subjects were put on video, asked about their Vista impressions, and then shown a "new" operating system, code-named Mojave. More than 90 percent gave positive feedback on what they saw. Then they were told that "Mojave" was actually Windows Vista.

"Oh wow," said one user, eliciting exactly the exclamation that Microsoft had hoped to garner when it first released the operating system more than 18 months ago. Instead, the operating system got mixed reviews and criticisms for its lack of compatibility and other headaches.

To be sure, the focus groups didn't have to install Vista or hook it up to their existing home network. Still, the emotional appeal of the "everyman" trying Vista and liking it clearly packs an emotional punch, something the company has desperately needed. Microsoft is still trying to figure out just how it will use the Mojave footage in its marketing, though it will clearly have a place..... Full Story

Told you Vista was a decent operating system :cheeky:

The drivers thing is not Vista's problem though. That's bad programming on the hardware end.
Not true, Microsoft changed the way drivers need to be programmed and configured to work on Vista and thus if the Hardware manufacturer's didn't have the new driver ready then Vista was more than likely to not respond well with it. Basically when you have as big a monopoly as Microsoft you can say "now we want to do it this way and this means you need to do as we do".

Microsoft OS's are never really good to go until about Service Pack 2 anyway. Vista is very resource heavy where it doesn't have to be also. I wish for the day that Apple make OSX for Windows.

Not true, Microsoft changed the way drivers need to be programmed and configured to work on Vista and thus if the Hardware manufacturer's didn't have the new driver ready then Vista was more than likely to not respond well with it. Basically when you have as big a monopoly as Microsoft you can say "now we want to do it this way and this means you need to do as we do".

Microsoft OS's are never really good to go until about Service Pack 2 anyway. Vista is very resource heavy where it doesn't have to be also. I wish for the day that Apple make OSX for Windows.

Oh whoops, didn't know that :o

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's not relatively easy to boot OSX from a Leopard Retail DVD... [link]

indeed, a hackintosh is a very easy piece of kit to do if you are able to tell your arse from your elbow. Its rediculouly light, mine cost about £150 to buy all the stuff i needed.

I still dislike Vista, I dont like teh way it tries to get you to put everything you have on the C drive, or the way that using 'my computer' is like doing brain surgery on yourself whilst simultaneously doing the tightrope. it just feels awkward to me

If you get the dialogue box at the bottom left saying hat UAC is turned off, do this

• Click the start button and type secpol.msc
  • Go into local policy and then security options
  • Find "User Account Control: Behavior of the Elevation prompt for administrator's in Admin Approval Mode"
  • Change it to elevate without Prompting

That will get rid of all the crappy UAC popups and warnings if you are on an admin account

i rly like vista, it might by power sapping and have a few... lost of compatabilaty problems but the user interface is nothing but lush and dx10 is ace. i couldnt go back to XP naw. im kinda keen on duel booting vista with ubuntu tho that looks snazzy