We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Top Gear Season 1.

TDU 505

Hahahaha I've just seen the first ever episode of Top Gear, Season 1, Episode 1.

And wow, isn't it so different! They're so serious and sorta (don't kill me!!) dull.

Whadda think about the first season? What has been changed?

Oh, and Harry Enfield looks REALLY REALLY different 6 years ago!

I remember watching TG with the orignal cast, the used to have bits on rally driving with some old bloke who's name I can't remember, Tiff and JC. Near the death of the Original they had the cast of 5th Gear Vikki Butler-Henderson and Tom Ford. TG used to be like TG used to be a more informative look at cars.

^ You mean Quentin Wilson... :p

The first series was very conservative. And rightly so. Remember they had changed it a lot already from old Top Gear, so they had to get everyone on their side. I remember watching the first episode live back when I was 10. My parents thought I'd like it, and I did. I've watched it all, and loved it all. And now I've downloaded it all, so I can watch it again. Excellent stuff!

But the slow transition from series to series is surprisingly obvious. The cocking about really takes over the show. And I hear from many people saying that they don't like TopGear because it has become an entertainment show with cars as opposed to a car show with entertainment. The only answer to this is to go and watch Fifth Gear. Its what it was invented for.

Erm you might want to go further back into the archives as what you've viewed is the first episode of the first series of the NEW Top Gear ... the old motoring programme the BBC had was previously Top Gear and that was a completely different kettle of fish. It was good in it's time but was from a completely different era. Now that's showing my age compared to you kids !

As to current Top Gear ... Well I've loved it from the off ...

Fifth Gear I hate for a number of reasons ... Plato, crash tests that tell the public nothing valuable, Plato, copying Top Gear, Plato, Copying Top Gear and Plato ... I think you get the point ... but then Fifth Gear was started by the old Top Gear production crew when the BBC originally shut the programme down ... things I like about Fifth Gear ... Tiff ... he's a legend ... oh and VBH's laugh !