We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Which console should I choose?

kalniel

Look i know this is a TDU forum but you don't just buy a console for one game no matter how awesome. TDU doesn't justify a $500-$900 purchase!

Well actually PC gamers quite often buy something the price of say the X360 just to play one game. But I've already addressed the possibility of that in my opening post.

He's right. I remember a while back they compared the PS3 Blu-ray player to that of top of the line blu-ray players out at the time which cost twice as much as a PS3 & the PS3 wiped the floor with them.

Also as far as i know it's the only blu-ray player around that can have it;s firmware upgraded to play new types of blu-ray (it was updated to BD profile 1.1 in a system update a while back which means Blu-ray movies can now have content that accesses the Internet on them)

Which bit of 'I'm not going to use blu-ray' didn't you get? :p You've said your peice and I understand where you stand on the matter, but let's keep this thread for other people to chime in with their opinions backed up with reasoning rather than keeping on argueing the same thing again and again :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, i'd say go 360, mainly because the original members of TDU:C are all from the 360 side of things :p The majority of this community on consoles is on the 360, so that's got to be worth something.

On its own merits, the 360, whilst struggling with the gremlins, is a very capable console. Its base of exclusive racing games surely should appeal to you, being as TDU, PGR4, Forza and Race pro do not appear on PS3. The support for wheels is a bit lacking, though, the official xbox wheel (good wheel but rubbish construction) is the only one with proper implimention of FF, however the fanatec wheel should change that.

Xbox is getting exclusive DLC for GTA IV if you're a fan of that also. The current premiums come with the 60Gb HDD, which is brilliant, as it gives lots of room to install games, demos, save music... whatever you fancy, even download movies, which i know you love so much ;)

The controller I find is the most comfortable I have ever used, and is very good for FPS and driving, RTS are crap with a controller in generall, but the voice controls on endwar work very well. The only kind of games the controller doesnt really work on are punch-em-ups as the D-Pad is hopeless. Overall I find it almost perfect though as a no-nonsence controller, it is nicely weighted, no motion nonsence, pretty cheap to buy, has a nice place to your mic/chatpad in, and can take wall-related impacts ;)

otherwise there's LIVE which is a very very good online system which has brilliant integration with most games, and being as games for windows live is kicking off since GTA IV you can keep your friends from PC on your contacts. and ofcourse you can use winows live messenger (for anyone crossing their eyes, it's the fancy name for MSN ;))

It was a suspicion that they would replace the xbox soon, but the NXE shows they have a long term plan to keep it.

Guest RB26DETT
Right, i'd say go 360, mainly because the original members of TDU:C are all from the 360 side of things :p

So you're saying I'm pirated? :oook:

Aye, I love the 360 gamepad. I have one for PC.

Thats a matter of personal opinion. I personally think the 360 controller is too bulky & has too many buttons. But i guess im a bit biased having used a Playstation controller since i was 6.

Lots of critic opinions also.

But surely they both have the same number of buttons?

I think the positioning of the sticks on the 360 handset is better (imo, of course), the left stick sitting where the D Pad is on the PS3 controller and the D-Pad (which is barely used) being moved down. Good ergonomics considering the D-Pad is used less and less frequently these days. It's a well built handset as well mine has taken many a clumsy or drunken knock and it's still going strong.

Downsides, its a little on the heavy side and if you add a M$ rechargeable battery and a chat pad its gets weightier, not so heavy it interferes with play but much heavier than the PS3 pad.

As for the comment about it having "too many buttons" that's clearly said by someone to never properly use both machines as they have the same number of buttons used for actual game input.

The PS3 does allow you to use a standard Bluetooth headset though which is a plus imo.

if my memory serves me right 360 controller has 2 more buttons then a PS3 controller.

It has the same number of buttons (unless you can't click the control sticks on the PS3 controller, but I thought you could).

The only difference is the D-pad is 8-way rather than 4-way.

Ergonomically I prefer the X360 pad - I can squeeze the triggers without loosing my grip :p I'd probably get used to the PS3 one over time though.

Right, i'd say go 360, mainly because the original members of TDU:C are all from the 360 side of things :p The majority of this community on consoles is on the 360, so that's got to be worth something.

On its own merits, the 360, whilst struggling with the gremlins, is a very capable console. Its base of exclusive racing games surely should appeal to you, being as TDU, PGR4, Forza and Race pro do not appear on PS3. The support for wheels is a bit lacking, though, the official xbox wheel (good wheel but rubbish construction) is the only one with proper implimention of FF, however the fanatec wheel should change that.

Xbox is getting exclusive DLC for GTA IV if you're a fan of that also. The current premiums come with the 60Gb HDD, which is brilliant, as it gives lots of room to install games, demos, save music... whatever you fancy, even download movies, which i know you love so much ;)

The controller I find is the most comfortable I have ever used, and is very good for FPS and driving, RTS are crap with a controller in generall, but the voice controls on endwar work very well. The only kind of games the controller doesnt really work on are punch-em-ups as the D-Pad is hopeless. Overall I find it almost perfect though as a no-nonsence controller, it is nicely weighted, no motion nonsence, pretty cheap to buy, has a nice place to your mic/chatpad in, and can take wall-related impacts ;)

otherwise there's LIVE which is a very very good online system which has brilliant integration with most games, and being as games for windows live is kicking off since GTA IV you can keep your friends from PC on your contacts. and ofcourse you can use winows live messenger (for anyone crossing their eyes, it's the fancy name for MSN ;))

It was a suspicion that they would replace the xbox soon, but the NXE shows they have a long term plan to keep it.

You've sold it to me, let alone kal. Even though I already have a 360. You should be the head salesman for Microsoft or something.

I'm going to try and put it as simply as possible:

If you like family/party games and motion-sensing-stuff, go for the Wii.

If you like shooting games, go for the X360.

If you're buying it for the long run, go for the PS3.

They're equally capable with online play and all genres of games and to be honest you don't really notice the graphics difference.

My verdict

PC Gaming. Go for it.

Kal if it wasn't 2009 I would have said go for the Xbox 360, reason being, the community online is much better in it's features not it's respect or maturity though hence why getting a good friends list is paramount!

Now why do I say to consider the PS3 now though? Well 3 main things tbh; Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4 (not sure if you're a fan of the MGS series) but most of all Killzone 2. This game has been called an "'H' killer" but imo it's so much better and beyond that because the gameplay isn't so run and gun, your character isn't a copy of Megaman and has super powers and from what I have heard it has more in common with the gameplay of Rainbow Six than your typical arcade shooter. It's more strategic, it's much more like a flim, it's got amazing effects and graphics because of these effects and the gameplay off and online looks just incredible.

The other plus the PS3 is actual FFB support, so that Logitech wheel you might use will work (maybe not fully) with your games so no need to buy proprietary crap. I like my films also so the BD-DVD player would also be good for me.

However would I buy one? Nope. Why? Well because the price will be down in the near future, and then, the PS3 will have a pretty decent catalogue of games FINALLY and of course GT5 will be about a year away from it's actual release. :cheeky:

Alternatively you could buy a PS3, play Killzone 2, LBP etc and then sell it and buy the 360. :D

Look i know this is a TDU forum but you don't just buy a console for one game no matter how awesome. TDU doesn't justify a $500-$900 purchase!

Find me an Xbox that costs over $500, and I will eat my pants...

TDU justified my purchase for my 360, along with about 60% of my friends. It is most certainly not an uncommon occurance.

You may not think that TDU is good enough, and that's ok. I am just saying...

Now why do I say to consider the PS3 now though? Well 3 main things tbh; Little Big Planet,

Played LBP, not hugely impressed.

Metal Gear Solid 4 (not sure if you're a fan of the MGS series) but most of all Killzone 2. This game has been called an "'H' killer" but imo it's so much better and beyond that because the gameplay isn't so run and gun, your character isn't a copy of Megaman and has super powers and from what I have heard it has more in common with the gameplay of Rainbow Six than your typical arcade shooter. It's more strategic, it's much more like a flim, it's got amazing effects and graphics because of these effects and the gameplay off and online looks just incredible.
No no NO! :p Shooters on consoles are not my thing. They are right royally aweful for someone used to PC gaming. :nanananana:

The other plus the PS3 is actual FFB support, so that Logitech wheel you might use will work (maybe not fully) with your games so no need to buy proprietary crap.
But will the games actually use it, given a lot of gamepads out there can't even rumble?

GT5 is probably going to be a key decider when it comes out, but then again, if MS could release a better Forza, sort out RROD and noise, then it'd be in for a real shout as well. So tricky!

Well, I have both as do a lot of people here, They both offer literally the same things, just different games, Your going to be paying for XBL if you get the xbox, but if you get the PS3 your going to be paying a lot more anyway, so it doesnt really matter.

As for online, I find XBL to be more fun, and i think it has games that are better online than the PS3. Although the Xbox hasnt got any massive names coming out anytime soon, but im sure Forza 3 will be in the planning if not announced and has a release date by the Time GT5 gets anywhere near the shelves, Plus, as has been mentioned, TDU is on The xbox.

If i was you id get an Xbox, since not as many people in the TDU community play on the xbox etc

It will all come down to personal choice in the end, Im happy its you stuck in the position and not me (im really indecisive)