We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Chrysler - Fiat and Daimler

YeOldeTDUMan

More info

chry_fiat_580.jpg

Chrysler announced this morning that the beleaguered automaker has entered into a global strategic alliance with Fiat SpA, giving both companies access to each others' products and markets. Fiat will also lend a hand in developing a business plan to present to the US Treasury; bringing to bear experience gained through the Italian auto giant's own restructuring. Overnight, Chrysler gets access to a range of small, fuel-efficient cars that are nothing like what is currently offered in Pentastar showrooms. Fiat's engineering will be ported over to some Chrysler manufacturing sites, keeping the plants busy and offering both brands ample capacity for the parts they will need to build cars.

For its efforts, Fiat will get a 35 percent equity interest in Chrysler and a way for the Italian automaker to re-enter the American market incognito by lending Chrysler the small, efficient cars it's sorely lacking. The partnership will go the other way, as well, with Chrysler vehicles gaining access to other markets through Fiat's distribution muscle. The UAW is on board, as are CEOs Marchionne and Nardelli. It's far more exciting to think of the vehicles that might come this way from Fiat, but who knows, maybe some market, somewhere, will discover it can't get enough of the Sebring. Press release after the jump.

Well, I think Fiat won't mess up Chrysler LLC(Not like what Daimler-Benz do, team up and then dump) and both would benefit, hopefully we can see the Chrysler brand finally rivaling luxury brands and their products might have improved interiors, I'm just worried if that they stop the Viper due to Ferrari's and whatever.

So we can expect to see some big V8 beast from Alfa using the 300c chassis now then :thumbsup: ??????

*stops dreaming*

There was me thinking that Fiat were hooking up with PSA (Peugeot & Citroen) that would have been pretty cool but I guess this bolds well for FIAT what with them wanting to market the Alfa Romeo badge over in the US.

OH MY GOD

Fiat is teamed with Chrysler :S

That means that Dodge (very american, very brutish and direct) and Ferrari (very italian, suave and sophisticated) are err... linked :s

Imagine the possibility... Italian cars, american engines... DeTomaso spiritual successor? :p

OH MY GOD

That means that Dodge (very american, very brutish and direct) and Ferrari (very italian, suave and sophisticated) are err... linked :s

Imagine the possibility... Italian cars, american engines... DeTomaso spiritual successor? :p

Lol i was thinking of a Viper with a "decent" interior.

do you guys reckon that under this arrangement, Plymouth could make a return? or any other of the old Chrysler marques, like imperial for example?

also, i'm very happy because now that Chrysler has some future proofing, the 200C shown at the Detroit auto show may make it to the roads!

83818468bp026_naias.jpg

OK here goes ... engaging enlightenment mode ...

So we can expect to see some big V8 beast from Alfa using the 300c chassis now then :thumbsup: ??????

*stops dreaming*

There was me thinking that Fiat were hooking up with PSA (Peugeot & Citroen) that would have been pretty cool but I guess this bolds well for FIAT what with them wanting to market the Alfa Romeo badge over in the US.

Why would Alfa use the Chrysler/Dodge V8 when it has a perfectly good one in the form of the Ferrari/Masser one ? Especially as it's been rumoured that a 159 has been seen running around with one in already, and of course it powers the 8C !

Fiat might still work with PSA on other stuff, you have to remember car companies share stuff quite a lot ... the Ford Ka is a Fiat 500 for example

OH MY GOD

DeTomaso doesn't exists anymore from what I remember ... and why would Fiat Group buy the name when they have Ferrari, Masserati, Lancia and Alfa which could all have a car in that style in their product line-up?

this could be interesting. maybe some sporty econoboxes from Chysler via Fiat (or vice versa)?

And, I agree with the gent above (currently named Who, Abbot & Costello reference anyone?), we MUST see a DeTomaso spiritual successor!

That's part of the plan from what I've heard ... Chrysler gets their hands on small vehicle platforms and small efficient engines ... Fiat gets American Factories, Dealer network and Hybrid Technology (Fiat hasn't bothered with any Hybrid development to my knowledge ... and please don't get me started on this subject as I will rant till the cows come home about how it's just a bad stop-gap ... see i'm ranting already!)

Lol i was thinking of a Viper with a "decent" interior.

Well American interiors are improving, however the way americans and europeans have typically bought cars is different (americans used to lease most of their cars whereas we will buy and keep for a reasonable number of years and so american interiors not typically need to be as robust) and also typically an american buyer was after toys (electric gizmos) whereas a european buyer was after the feeling they were in a more luxury car in terms of feel ... obviously 'The Jones' on either side of 'the pond' are different.

do you guys reckon that under this arrangement, Plymouth could make a return? or any other of the old Chrysler marques, like imperial for example?

also, i'm very happy because now that Chrysler has some future proofing, the 200C shown at the Detroit auto show may make it to the roads!

Well seeing as all the talk in the industry is more about removing brands, especially those that are just a name change or very niche I can't see Chrysler wasting any money on bringing back old brands.

... and here endeth the lesson

DeTomaso doesn't exists anymore from what I remember ... and why would Fiat Group buy the name when they have Ferrari, Masserati, Lancia and Alfa which could all have a car in that style in their product line-up?

I know DeTomaso itself would not be revived, not happening, i was simply getting at the idea of technology behind sporty, nimble cars from Fezzer/Maser/Alfa could be in some way married to the powerhouse engine technology from Chrysler/Dodge to create the same effect that DeTomaso did all those years ago, hence being a spiritual successor, not a rebirth :) as you suggested, a mental car like that could go under anything, odly enough I think it would fit best under lancia.

and yes, DeTomaso went into liquidation a while ago :(

-snip-

Is it me or does the front end of that look like the new Vauxhall Insigna?

Well DeTomaso was known for good looking Italian cars with American V8s that if you put your foot down slighty too much it would kill you !

Not really a brand to resurrect !

definately a car model for lancia then? :p

it's a shame they are gone really, killer supercars are becoming a thing of the past, soon we will be full to capacity with hotshot footballers who wont crash and die/have to retire from injuries!

I meant some big Alfa Romeo beast designed for the American market ... you know like an in your face saloon (i.e. 300c !) with big beefy Yankee V8 under the hood .... its making me drool as I type lol :drool:.

Yeah you get the idea don't you guys ????