We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

BTCC - Vauxhall Leaving after 20 years

CarMadMike

vxr-vectra-btcc.jpg

By most accounts, the mantra of "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" hasn't worked for a long time. In fact, we're not sure it ever worked. But there were certainly happier times for motorsports fans when the automakers blissfully adhered to that age-old nugged. Unfortunately blissful ignorance isn't the best game plan at this stage – especially for any General Motors divisions – which could go a long way towards explaining why so many automakers have been canceling their factory racing programs recently. The latest to leave the track, British motorsport fans will be saddened to learn – is Vauxhall.

The British automaker has been competing in the British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) for 20 years now, and with its partner Triple Eight Race Engineering racing under the VX Racing banner, had achieved an insurmountable dominance of the saloon car racing series in claiming the title seven out of the last eight years, racking up 100 race wins along the way. Unfortunately, desperate times call for desperate measures, and that dominance will come to an end after this season is over. Will a future Vauxhall teamed up with Opel under new management find its way back to the BTCC? Only time will tell, but Vauxhall is leaving the door open just in case.

Source: Autoblog

I dont think BTCC will be the same without them, they were great.

The sticker emblazoned on the front of the car reads "BTCC on ITV4". That says it all really. Years ago BTCC had a slot every week on a prime channel, now relegated to the depths of digital television with dwindling popularity. The glory days (See TOCA Touring Car Championship on PS1) are sadly gone. I hope this doesn't signal the final days of BTCC.

Very sad news. Looks like motorsport in general is really struggling these days. Damn. Was born 10 years too late... :(

This is probably gonna be as big a blow to the sport as Subaru's departure from WRC, being one of the long-standing pillars of the series. Here's hoping they can return to racing once the economy recovers

To be honest. I like this, Fabrizio Giovanardi ruins it for me just as much as Sebastian Loeb does for the WRC. Which is why I stopped watching BTCC, I used to have my eyes glued to it every time it was on.

I just hope it doesnt end the BTCC. I agree with the others, bring the 90s along with the cars, well their newer equivilents anyway.

The ITV4 broadcast does actually get a good response, if it didn't why would ITV4 pay for it year after year?! :D Also losing Vauxhall under GM might be a problem but I don't think we'll lose a Vauxhall as the team, the drivers and the cars are a goldmine for anyone wanting to break into the BTCC. Not to mention there is word of Alfa Romeo and Volvo (they are supposedly going to race once this season to see how to is) coming back, in fact there was even a slither of a hint that a Ford Factory team might enter the fold due to the ever increasing popularity of the BTCC weekend due to the all out entertainment as well as the value for money with all the support races also.

Oh also there is a team with 2 or 3 MG ZS's I think they are who are looking for another driver before they enter the season.

The ITV4 broadcast does actually get a good response, if it didn't why would ITV4 pay for it year after year?! :D Also losing Vauxhall under GM might be a problem but I don't think we'll lose a Vauxhall as the team, the drivers and the cars are a goldmine for anyone wanting to break into the BTCC. Not to mention there is word of Alfa Romeo and Volvo (they are supposedly going to race once this season to see how to is) coming back, in fact there was even a slither of a hint that a Ford Factory team might enter the fold due to the ever increasing popularity of the BTCC weekend due to the all out entertainment as well as the value for money with all the support races also.

Oh also there is a team with 2 or 3 MG ZS's I think they are who are looking for another driver before they enter the season.

I think you just made my day :)