We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Is HD TV really worth it?

Baldy

In my opinion yes, been watching some amazing programmes on BBC HD lately and the detail and colours are just amazing. Never thought it would be noticeable. And that's on a 19" TV.

I've got Sky HD, i wouldn't say it was worth that much more than any other TV packages, it's not that brilliant, sure the quality is great, but the price of HD boxes from sky can be extortionate, they are always doing deals, half price, sometimes free, (unless i'm confusing it with sky+) as pherelas said it's great for documentaries.

All HD boxes have Sky+ Mike, and I got mine free on sign up

Noooooo i didn't mean that, i meant that i know you can get sky+ boxes for free, but i'm not sure whether you can get sky HD boxes for free.

As for the HD box for free on sign up, thats what i was talking about *facepalm*

My dad sometimes watches BBC HD. I see no real benifit in having HD or even a HD TV. But these days you're forced to buy the rubbish because of government plans to update the whole of the UK to digital and what-not.

I would say a few other things on the matter but I'll end up getting in trouble for doing so, so I'll leave it at that.

Well, it's only BBC HD and ITV HD. Ours came integrated in the TV. So we had no choice. I don't know how much it costs to get a box. However, the quality is amazing! Especially when the 'Planet Earth' etc. programs are airing.

I personally don't watch many of the HD programs (I watch the HD version when it available, just not many are in HD). I probably watch around 4 on a good week. (at least the ones that are on this week) http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.HDschedule

I only use mine for the 360. And just for the extra quality there its more than worth it.

The only problem is the speaker quality on the LCD HDTVs. Pretty much zero bass... so if you want any quality sound you have to buy a good speaker setup. I've got a Creative Itrigue 3400 2.1 system that makes the whole house shake when I play DeadSpace.

Would recommend a Samsung HDTV over everything else, absolutely brilliant... and gorgeous too.

You can pick a 19" up from Amazon for just under £190. Now thats a bargian.

i´ve got a western digital hdtv-box and it´s really cool to watch movies in 1080i/p... when you see "the dark knight" in sd/dvd and hd you know what i mean :D

picture is crystal clear, gaming with PS3 is great and i think in about 5 years most of tv´s in western-europe have a hd-tv.

• 5 months later...

If you have the money, HD TV's are really worth it. We have a 50" Sony LCD which is brilliant. We only get about two HD channels since I live out of town but we have a blu-ray player which is absolutley amazing. They were really expensive a year ago when we got ours but they really have come down and there are heaps on special.

We got a 73" Mitsubishi Diamond Tech LCD and I couldn't love it more. For once I can see what I'm doing when I game on PS3 and the TV channels are fantastic. btw, watch Cloverfield in HD, you'll wet yourself.

Overkill much? you mus have to sit a long ass way from the screen...

• 1 month later...

Uhm, really depends on what your using your TV for.

I have a 22" 1080p Monitor for my pc which i love but i need to get a monitor with a 120hz refresh rate. i don't watch much TV and when i watch a movie i do it on my PC.

to me a HDTV would be pointless unless i hook up my PC to it.