We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Need For Speed Shift

sanrevo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Games in Europe launch on a Thursday iirc (although clearly it was Tuesday in Poland :/ ), the UK on a Friday. So if the date displayed is a Friday then you should be able to get it the day before, apart from in special cases such as GTA IV where a simultaneous worldwide launch took place.

I would not recommend this game at all, if you want something nice, get GTR2 for a racing game and TDU for something to drive.

hmmm it's interesting ur recommending two 3 years old games instead something new and all that on the forum dedicated to TDU and other driving games. Of course they are better than Shift, they are both in a hall of fames of driving games, each in their own genre, but considering the fact that nothing came out since GTR Evolution that had a slightest indications of a sim racing we should consider this title as well.

From what I've heard so far (still waiting for the envelope in my mailbox) the physics are very far from any kind of sim and it's much closer to Grid.

However, there are considerable differences between low class cars and high end cars later in the game.

So, if u decide to try Shift, u shouldn't uninstall it straight away if u don't like it from the start. That's only what I've heard from many ppl.....

the driving-experience isn´t that good, in fact it is nearly impossible to drive in third person-view, cockpit is ok but when you have a look at the driving from behind, it´s disgusting.

too bad if you want too see some of the gread cars while driving, it´s not a simulation nor an arcade-racer.

in germany we call it "Weder Fisch noch Fleisch", which means "Neither Meat nor Fish" and i think it´s self-complaining ;)

the uderground/pro street kiddies are crying because it´s too realistic, the simulation-fans are crying because it´s NOT realistic und the old-school gamers are crying because they want NFS:Hot Pursuit back :D

I, for one, think EA have drastically improved their pathetic physics engine. Shift feel much more realistic now (not as realistic as TDU/GTR2 Etc..) but a shedload more realistic than the Undercover/Most Wanted physics. You can actually spin out!!!!!! :eek: You have the options to turn the driving aids off, too. So if you really want to give yourself a challenge, you can.

Graphically, the game is visually stunning. If there is one gripe to the graphics, it's that the vinyls on cars are very low res, so if you zoom in, you can easily see the pixellation. Apart from that, though, the scenery is beautifully crafted, the car models look higher poly (even though they're re-used models) and the addition of Cockpit camera really makes this game for me. I also love the way the cockpit blurs as you go faster, to simulate tunnel vision.

Graphically: 8/10

Physically: 7/10

Gameplay: 7/10

Audibly: 9/10

I'd recommend this game, but I wouldn't say it's worth the full £30, perhaps wait until it's come down in price.

Played it for about 2 mins (never completed the first tester race thing) and got annoyed at the 'accelerate slightly and turn slightly = spinning BMW' handling so turned it off. I'm a bit dissapointed as I've spent £25 and not had the wow factor yet.

However I'll try it again when I have less of a hangover and the in-game movies don't make me feel sick with all the flickering and fast camera movements. I doa gree with Sponge, the handling has improved since Undercover in terms of realism. (but it is in no way perfect). I'll also try tweeking the driving options for my controller.

Going back & forth at the moment wether to get it for PC?

I heard some of the team that has developed Simbin's GTR series worked on this game?

Hence the somewhat sim approach to the car physics (but still arcade). But every review and comment I have seen/read states that the physics are more arcadish not a sim which is fine by me.

I am hearing it's one of the better NFS games for many years.

I like GRID, & Dirt 2 alot so if the physics are anything like those I would enjoy it.

The close ups of car vinyls in GRID are the same low-res so that would not bother me at all. If it looks and plays anything like GRID I will be all over it!

I'm going to have to digress guys... Yes, the physics may be slightly more realistic, but even driving in Most Wanted or even Underground felt more natural than this. NFS IMO should be an arcade racer. There are too many games out there that are sims, or claiming to be sims, and most casual gamers simply can't be bothered with serious racing.

In trying to be more realistic however, EA (and whoever the developer is this time) have failed big time. Not only is it, like zubi said, neither here nor there, it doesn't even look right going round a corner. Take a look at this for example:

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hehEFc2tavA

Notice how the rear wheels are sliding out so much, and yet no opposite lock is applied? This isn't power-oversteer of a RWD car, it's how cars behave under normal conditions, and it's simply ridiculous. Ok, while it doesn't look natural, it's perhaps slightly understandable in an M3. But on a Pagani Zonda R? Big wing, diffuser, slick tires, racing aerodynamics? And yet the rear still steps out like that? I'm sorry, but this is simply unacceptable in a game trying to sell itself as a realistic driving game. Sure it looks awesome, sure there's lots of cars, sure there's Spa and the Nurburgring, but if a racing game can't even get the driving aspect of it right, then that's sorely missing the point isn't it?

(And I know all this because I actually tried the damn thing today, both on the PS3 and Xbox.)

the way of third-person driving is totally different from the cockpit-views.

it is not nearly like in GT5P or any game in this way and there´s not so much fun, but the sound is really great and there are so many things you could unlock with nearly every race(event) that you get caught a little bit.

it´s not a 60€ game, but for me this game´s can be count on one hand:D

but then again, who actually drives from outside the cockpit around here? (Excluding Consoles) I downloaded the demo and I rip around the tracks with very little issues on oversteer. game works great IMHO

EDIT: Just thought of this, and althought I have no proof to back it up, RWD cars can step out the rear end slightly while the driver has control of the car. In my camaro (which I cannot drive before anyone asks) my dad and I were taking a left handed 70 degree turn at 140 km/h and the rear end slid out ever so slightly, not so much like a drift, but enough to feel the change in direction in the car. I think if there was a little less of the wobbling in the rear end of the car there would be very little room for argument..

Well, the rear can step out in any sort of vehicle in real life, if you're ham-fisted enough

What happens in the game though is that all 4 wheels are losing grip, thus you see four tire marks on the road. How is it possible for any car, particularly a RWD one, to oversteer and understeer at the same time?

True! didnt see the front tires leaving marks too. Anyways, I played the demo, and I think the handling is much more involved than TDU.. like, by a long shot! I think this will be my next driving game. (Probably gonna need a new computer though but thats how it goes)