We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Joystiq's first impressions of TDU2 (good read)

khevolution

What I see as new info is the part that of the 60 levels, level 10 unlocks the commute-ability, and that the yacht can be docked at either island.

Interesting read.

Also a co-pilot will have the ability to display directional icons on the drivers screen, lets hope there not too distracting as I can see some people abusing the feature

Either 60 points is a heck of a lot, or 10 out of 60 to unlock O'ahu seems like too few IMO. The rest of the article was a good compliment of everything else we've read so far.

Can you imagine pulling off an awesome, unrepeatable chain-drift only to have the car following you accidentally bump into you (or the car in front stop suddenly) and you lose all those points. :D

Firstly, it's great to see it getting good coverage, and the enthusiasm he has for it goes further to reassuring me that this will be a fantastic game. His comments on the visuals should go some way to pleasing the Crysis chasing crowd as well, what's more the demo was running on a PC, they will be happy.

Still appears to have been a hand off demo though.

Either 60 points is a heck of a lot, or 10 out of 60 to unlock O'ahu seems like too few IMO.

Maybe, but I think they are trying to keep the game interesting, stopping the casual crowd (of whom TDU has a lot) from losing interest.

Codemasters is supposed to have an F1 racing game out later this year, Criterion Games are supposed to be making the next major Need for Speed game that comes out later this year, Gran Turismo 5 is supposedly coming out later this year, and we have less information about those games combined in comparison to TDU2. Sure, NFS and Codies have a shorter decelopment cycle, but we should be pretty grateful to Eden/NBP/Atari for the early revelations.

I think NFS World is not going to beat TDU2, I think the next NFS won't be good enough either, and about F1...

...well.. I don't like F1 games in general. Always the same-looking cars, same sounds, closed racetracks. I prefer driving through cities etc. with cars that look somewhat different and sound different.

About the 10-level-to-Oahu idea, I first thought it was too little, but I think it's good enough. I don't think Oahu is so new and special it's worth to first finish all 60 levels before going there.

I got the idea it might be like Fuel: the Vistapoints are horrible to get to, and once you finally get to one and actually manage to somewhat stay static, the view is far from breathtaking as promised. You have to do too much, for too little.

Sounds pretty great to me as well

Quote: "There's a level cap of 60 and at level 10 you're able to drive to the airport and hop a flight from Ibiza (the game's first location) to Hawaii (its second and the setting of the first TDU, which has been expanded with an additional 600 KM of asphalt and off-road trails)."

So... you don't have to grind to the bitter end on Ibiza to play on both islands *happy*

Then:

Ibiza: 930 kilometers of roads and 310 km cross-country

Hawaii: the original 1,600 km of new roads and 600 km of asphalt roads and cross-country

Total:

3440KM

Just over 2000 miles

These all sound interesting:

You'll eventually be able to put your winnings into buying the ultimate home -- a yacht -- which comes complete with a totally customizable interior a la PlayStation Home's personal spaces, a jacuzzi to invite friends into and ... the ability to dock it at either island.

The game demo started out in a garage, which, in TDU2, is one of the places that can serve as a social hub

At any time, a friend hanging out in the garage could hop into the passenger seat of the same car to admire its craftsmanship, and even even stay in it as a "co-driver" (who can issue directional icons) if you decide to take it out for a spin.

Eden said it didn't want to penalize players for having fun, although I'd like to see an option to enable or disable it

So, will be Like Midnight Club Los Angeles...

At any time, a friend hanging out in the garage could hop into the passenger seat of the same car to admire its craftsmanship, and even even stay in it as a "co-driver" (who can issue directional icons) if you decide to take it out for a spin.

Eden said it didn't want to penalize players for having fun, although I'd like to see an option to enable or disable it

I dont like that...