We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Had a Bad Day? Post Your Story Here

"Hedge"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car's at a garage today (hopefully) getting a new Auxilary Belt and tensioner. I keep thinking of things I want to do with it because I've got the day off as well, but then I remember I don't have the car. I can see me going to get it and the guy saying he couldn't do it because of X, or the car will still be in pieces when I need it for Monday morning.

When I say garage, I mean it's at a friend of a friend's (who is a mechanic) house. He has a proper workshop and everything but that car is a pain in the rear to work on, literally no space in the engine bay at all.

Going on from the previous post, it turns out the car was pretty much ready to kill me.

I only wanted him to change the belt and tensioner, and look at my speed sensor, but he had a look around the rest of the car because he didn't have much else to do on Friday and I'm glad he did. He discovered the driver's side front tyre had a split in it on the inner side of the tyre (which you can't see unless you park with the wheels turned or with the wheel off entirely), to the point where you can see the canvas in places. Now I don't think I'm one to neglect my tyres, I check their condition and pressures twice a week, and I don't spin the wheels or go around corners too fast. But, that's what was found there, I knew the tread was getting low on it but it still wasn't near illegal in that respect. Then he moved onto the brakes and has pretty much said there's isn't much more life left in the front brakes at all and I need to get them changed as soon as possible (rears are OK). Luckily for both of these things I have a spare set of wheels and tyres and I'd already bought new brake discs and pads a month or so ago in preparation because I knew they'd need doing in the next few months.

My old Auxilary Belt was described as a swear word beginning with the letter F (I knew that already, hence why I wanted it changed) and an earthing terminal on the battery was corroded. Only real good news from it was that the belt and tensioner got changed, the sensor got changed and so far I think that's fixed the speedo dropping out occasionally.

Brakes are hopefully being done at some point this week and after Christmas I'm putting some decent tyres on all round because I'm fed up of looking at the ones I've got now even though the back two have 5mm of tread left on them. I might post a picture of the offending tyre later, but I feel like setting the thing on fire.

Starting to wish I hadn't bothered passing my test and I'd stuck to going on the bus to work. £20 a week to do 250 miles, and I didn't have to worry about tax, insurance, tyres, fluid levels, diesel, MOTs or anything else.

Going on from the previous post, it turns out the car was pretty much ready to kill me.

I only wanted him to change the belt and tensioner, and look at my speed sensor, but he had a look around the rest of the car because he didn't have much else to do on Friday and I'm glad he did. He discovered the driver's side front tyre had a split in it on the inner side of the tyre (which you can't see unless you park with the wheels turned or with the wheel off entirely), to the point where you can see the canvas in places. Now I don't think I'm one to neglect my tyres, I check their condition and pressures twice a week, and I don't spin the wheels or go around corners too fast. But, that's what was found there, I knew the tread was getting low on it but it still wasn't near illegal in that respect. Then he moved onto the brakes and has pretty much said there's isn't much more life left in the front brakes at all and I need to get them changed as soon as possible (rears are OK). Luckily for both of these things I have a spare set of wheels and tyres and I'd already bought new brake discs and pads a month or so ago in preparation because I knew they'd need doing in the next few months.

My old Auxilary Belt was described as a swear word beginning with the letter F (I knew that already, hence why I wanted it changed) and an earthing terminal on the battery was corroded. Only real good news from it was that the belt and tensioner got changed, the sensor got changed and so far I think that's fixed the speedo dropping out occasionally.

Brakes are hopefully being done at some point this week and after Christmas I'm putting some decent tyres on all round because I'm fed up of looking at the ones I've got now even though the back two have 5mm of tread left on them. I might post a picture of the offending tyre later, but I feel like setting the thing on fire.

Starting to wish I hadn't bothered passing my test and I'd stuck to going on the bus to work. £20 a week to do 250 miles, and I didn't have to worry about tax, insurance, tyres, fluid levels, diesel, MOTs or anything else.

Problem is ur car is french mate :P

lol I was thinking the same thing patch but didn't want to say it

Hope you get it sorted soon GTAMD. Having a safe car is more important than.... etc etc

I wouldn't worry, even I blame certain aspects of the car for being French so I don't mind if other people slate it for being French. I like the car too much to want to get rid of it now despite it's problems, all of which are just consumables which every car owner has to deal with really.

At the end of the day though, it's cheaper to fix the few problems that I have now than buy a different car out-right. I'll be keeping it until I can afford a decent VW Bora, or maybe an Audi A4. Anyway, I have the money to fix everything that is wrong with it 10x over, but I really dislike spending money :p

speaking of car problems, i had a bit of a scare this morning. i was driving along when i noticed that something was squeaking in my truck. i'm not sure what it is, but it sounded like the suspenison or chassis or maybe the truck bed. but on the way home it was just fine, so i think its ok now. that set the tone for the day, and today pretty much sucked.

• 2 weeks later...

My god, seems just about everyone is getting hit with something bad in the family.

My Grandfather is in the hospital right now. He had severely low blood sugar and pneumonia in the liver. The doctor said if his temperature was one degree lower he would have died...

He is getting better now, I just hope.

:\

My god, seems just about everyone is getting hit with something bad in the family.

My Grandfather is in the hospital right now. He had severely low blood sugar and pneumonia in the liver. The doctor said if his temperature was one degree lower he would have died...

He is getting better now, I just hope.

:\

I hope he returns to full health soon. And to everyone else as well, I hope for health and happiness for all.

I'm not the only one then, my grandfather spent about a month in hospital last year. Ever since he retired he hasn't done much, he pretty much gets up and sits infront of the TV all day, because his knees are pretty weak. The job he did for most of his life up until he retired was driving 7.5 tonne milk lorrys and it always involved him getting in and out of the back of the lorry with pallets of milk which ultimately did his knees no good at all. So because of this and him not getting out much any more, his immune system has suffered and even the simplest cold can make him really ill now.

When he was rushed into hospital last, he was really bad, but the hospital staff were reluctant to put him on a life-support machine for fear that he may not come back off it again. He now uses an oxygen machine to get more oxygen into his blood, but I sadly think this is just a temporary thing to hold off the inevitable.

Unfortunately I can also contribute, my gramp died a couple of months ago due to natural causes. He had alzheimer's/dementia to the point where he couldn't remember who my mum was (his daughter). In a way this was better for him as he seemed pretty happy though, not sure he remembered much about my nan dying a few years ago either. Also just found out my granddad is in hospital with pneumonia and other complications, he's got over this before but obviously each time leaves him weaker so it's a bit touch and go really.