We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Dashboard Update (Nov ,10)

TimBud

There is/was a new XBox 360 dashboard update today.

Primarily for the release of Kinnect.

Theres been a few minor changes, not least being the new 'white/grey' colour scheme. Reminds me of Windows 95.

Personally I really like it. Maybe just because its a nice change. :rolleyes:

Its much faster and slicker then the old NXE dashboard and so far gives me no errors. Will find out if that lasts when I get Kinnect in a few weeks.

Nice sounds too.

Found a list of some of the new features on Major Nelsons blog:

I am happy to announce that the latest dashboard update has now been officially released and is in process of being rolled out across the LIVE service. For many of you, the next time you sign in to Xbox LIVE, you will be prompted to receive the update. A couple of things to keep in mind over the next few hours as the update is deployed.

Here are a few of the features that we are including in this update:

ESPN on Xbox LIVE

Zune Music

Netflix Search

Improved voice chat quality – The audio codec is updated to improve Xbox LIVE Party audio quality.

Improved Gamertag creation – Choosing a new Gamertag? If the Gamertag you’re looking for is already taken, your Avatar will spin a wheel and we will provide five other Gamertag suggestions at a time for you to choose from.

Streamlined in-dashboard virtual keyboard – We’ve taken the existing QWERTY keyboard in-dash and made it easier to use for scenarios that involve repeated text entry, when signing up for LIVE within the dashboard for example.

Improved Xbox LIVE Marketplace UI and browse experience – The Game Marketplace has been re-organized to provide streamlined access to the gaming and video content you want, reducing the number of steps to get to a download.

Easier to get on a wireless network

Ability to sign-out other controllers in the sign-in UI

New browse experience for 100% completed games

Updated Family Settings

Family Programming

Have edited it a bit to make it easier to read, so if you want the finer details here's the link

Looks good, just turned my Xbox on for the first time in about a year because I wanted to make sure it worked before I bought Forza 3 off ShopTo for £11. Lawl.

Last time I turned it on it RROD'd constantly but I've restarted it four times now and it's worked fine every time.

Guess I can sell Forza 3 on Facebook for more than I bought it if the worst happens :p

the audio improvement is easily the biggest boon for most.

haven't loaded anything up yet for a looksee but looking forward to it.

it all seems pretty positive to me.

on the other hand the old blades were the best - we never asked for these avatars...

live did seem to go caput at tea time lastnight though because of the update...

All of my avatar stuff is broken.

The design is tidy but I preferred the staggered dashboard panes.

The voices are clearer and suffer less break up but the downside is everyone sounds like they're sat in a pipe and the nerds with those expensive turtle headphone things sound like they're sat in an empty warehouse.

It failed the first three times I ran the update too. Flawless as ever, although I usually get away fine so I guess I'm owed some inconvenience.

Avatars are fixed. People still sound like they are in a cave. The guide keeps freezing my games when I get invites... handy.

Would be nice if they included useful things in the update - for example support for NTFS and exFAT on removable drives. FAT32 sucks with it's 4GB per file limit.

My 360 back in the day used to read my HFS+ formatted HDD and iPods. These days.. nothing. This makes me believe FAT32 is a choice, not just laziness.

There's not really a need to have files larger than 4GB on the Xbox. The only thing I can think of is full HD movies with low compression.

And the Xbox can still read iPods and play the music. You just need to make sure that the optional media update is up to date. It's in the marketplace.

I'm referring to external HDDs and large capacty USB flash drives. Recorded HD TV is often large than 4GB (about 1.5 hours worth usually). Even if you don't plan on putting large files on it, you'd rather go exFAT for removable drives and NTFS for HDDs.

And the Xbox can still read iPods and play the music. You just need to make sure that the optional media update is up to date. It's in the marketplace.

That is required to play any MP4 content on the Xbox. Last time I tried my old Nano (because touchscreen Pod's don't work) it didn't work, likely because it was HFS+ not FAT, being a Mac based iPod not a Windows one.

I'll try again later maybe and see if that's been resolved. I know for a fact that my HFS+ memory sticks no longer work when they used to quite happily.

Surely the Xbox can't use FAT32 on it's own HDD as most game installs are well over 4GB.

Meh, it's really not a big deal to me as I just stream it all over there if I want it or use my Apple TV. \o/

Ahh yea, streaming HD video to my Xbox used to lag, even with a decent N router and laptop. But I think that was more the Xbox struggling to play the streamed stuff than the wireless not being fast enough.

You don't have to use WMC to stream, just put the stuff into your shared folder and look for it through the video library on the Xbox. Much easier.