We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Caterham SP/300.R

calster17

Though i'd post this here since I love Caterham!

But A new caterham is comming out, and not a new edtion of the 7! An all new car! All Caterham will say for now is that the new car will be powered by the next-generation Caterham Motorsport engine and that it will "provide a logical expansion to the company's racing and track day portfolio" as well as remaining true to the Seven's lightweight,minimalist ethos.

My Guesses are a 7 with a real body!(Doors, roof, rear window)! But Last time caterham tryed to expand the range, it failed...goodgle Caterham 21 to see the results!

The car will be unveailed at the Autosport show in January!(thats 13 January 2011)

I'm glad to see people happy about this. When I first heard the news, I was worried everyone would be complaining about Cat becoming "the next Lotus," when what they're really doing is becoming the old Lotus, the one that was rare and low volume, but nonetheless filled a niche that (if you live around where I live) can be used on the road.

Loti, especially the Elise, was almost the standard road tripping tourist's vehicle, and you would see a bunch crackling past you throughout the summer months in the resort town where I live. If Caterham did something similar, I wouldn't be disappointed at all! :)

-Leadfoot

• 3 weeks later...

Its been unveailed, and its not what I was expecting!

The Caterham SP/300.R...

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z23/calster-17/Car%20Pictures/caterham_2-L.jpg

Caterham has unveiled the dramatic new Caterham-Lola SP/300.R at the Autosport International show at the NEC - the first all-new model from the Dartford company for a decade and a half, and its first-ever sports prototype.

The new car - Caterham's first mid-engined offering - has been developed in conjunction with legendary chassis builder Lola Cars, and marks the debut of a new supercharged version of the familiar Ford Duratec motor.

That's expected to produce around 300bhp, with up to 330bhp available for short bursts via a 'push to pass' button. The sub-600kg kerb weight will give the car around 500bhp per tonne (excluding the driver).

Caterham reckons this should allow the SP/300.R to reach 60mph from rest in just 2.8secs, while the gearing has been developed to allow the car to hit its maximum 170mph on the Spa-Francorchamps circuit's Kemmel straight.

Only 25 SP/300.Rs will be built each year, and the finishing touches are currently being put to the car's powertrain and chassis before a one-make race series is launched for the car in 2012.

The SP/300.R will initially focus on racers and track day customers and, although a roadgoing version is being considered, motorsport is the new model's main focus as it is intended to provided the next step up for Caterham's domestic and international racing 'ladder'.

Caterham have stated that They are also going to keep development of the 7 going as well!

Looks like Caterham are just stepping into Lotus's boots for trackday toy! And Good luck to them!

Who knows, maybe some TDU2 DLC in the future?