We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU2 featured on Autoblog

gingervette

Video: Test Drive Unlimited welcomes virtual characters

by Jeff Glucker (RSS feed) on Jan 23rd 2011 at 8:01PM

test-drive-2-unlimited.jpg

Test Drive Unlimited 2 features character customization – Click above to watch video

after the jump

Can you think of something missing from the current crop of automotive video games? If you said cosmetic surgery then you must work for Atari. The upcoming Test Drive Unlimited 2 is going to let you customize more than you car. Your on-screen avatar can appear exactly how you want it to thanks to numerous facial and clothing options. Click past the jump to see what we're talking about.

[source:

]

Filed under: Etc., Videos, Toys/Games

Go on a car blog, post a cosmetics trailer and focus on the social aspect.

The commenters will have a field day. If you're going to direct it at car people give them cars.

It's their Achilles heel. Atari's marketing strategy promotes the game's "life of a billionaire" features, but in doing so they alienated the actual driving part.

If you ask me, they've also forgotten about driving in the game itself, too. :rolleyes:

-Leadfoot

;387209']

If you ask me, they've also forgotten about driving in the game itself, too. :rolleyes:

If it is true, that their are 3 different available modes of driving and that they did new physics for the cars I think they did a good job. :)

And in TDU1 you also could change the style of your face a bit.

I think we´re gonna see, when we drive in TDU2. ;-)

Greetings

eVo

I don't think cosmetic surgeries and such, shouldn't be in the game as something secondary, just a bunch of miscellaneous features. However I must say that they put too much effort and time into features that aren't that important.

Only about 1 in every 3 TDU2 videos talk about cars, and TDU2 is a "car driving game" after all. Clearly, lots of important parts of the driving experience have somehow failed to deliver what fans wished for, specially in the car list, engine sounds and physics departments, at least it seems so.

That is why I think its even kind of offensive to the fans, to be so focused on something that people didn't really asked for. Either they are trying to avoid the matters of driving or they got the wrong idea of what fans wanted when they set their priorities in the game development.

I think they could have spent that effort and time on working in every detail of driving, like making an animation for accelerating and braking, changing radio station, turning on/off air conditioner etc...

Personaly I'd like it best if you could do a cosmetic surgery to your car via changing body parts than actually changing the appearance of my character.:cheeky:

Yea, according to my firefox history I visit autoblog more often than I visit google. I saw this story and was writing up a long winded cry of defense for the game, because this was quite possibly the worst trailer to feature for it. I got about two paragraphs in and said screw it. Knowing that the internet is a terrible terrible place, and that I would just be run over in the comments.

I felt sad really, I really love autoblog as a site and was completely dumbfounded that they chose that trailer.

On a happier note, original poster, I don't even know what It means but I gave you an internet.

It's more to do with the time taken to do these things could have been better spent on getting the dashes working, the rev lights on the Ferrari's and other details wanted since TDU. Night and Weather is a great addition but the social thing was what you made of the game not of what the game gave you. Typically those who adore the first game have their concerns as think about where the racing game has gone recently.

Early adopters will help in making this game great though, I do feel that! :D

Oh no i was there for the first one lol, i loved it (still do), but then again, i love rpg's (whats an rpg without character customization?), the sims etc so yeah... I also remember that this is closer to arcade than sim, if you are all so worried about the physics being properly realistic and arent worried about the pretty stuff forget it, try rFactor ;)