We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Car physics

Yawnald

I'm starting to despise the game and I've only put about an hour and a half into it. I'm playing the PC version with a Logitech G27 wheel. Assist is set to Hardcore and yet the cars feel like they're running on rigid tracks.

As far as I can tell, there's almost no difference to the assist modes because the underlying physics and handling code is hugely flawed. You've definitely got a problem when the previous game in your series has superior handling. Hardcore mode on TDU1, with all its flaws, blows TDU2's Hardcore out of the water.

There's also no real sense of speed and that in itself is a huge problem. They should have taken a note from NFS Shift, which did a fantastic job of simulating what it's like to be in a vehicle that's moving at high speed. The car shaking, the driver's head movements as he is pulled to and fro, seemingly small things which, when done right, greatly enhance immersion. Such potential features have been ignored by TDU2's developers. In favor of what? Simulating the laughably unrealistic social lives of a bunch of plastic rich kids? Bah!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just pruned the thread fully, and banned me for calling them out on it. People, please, don't give Atari or Eden your money until they answer for this!

TDU Official Forums = Holy Inquisition + Soviet Union + Comunist China + Cuba + Cambodja's Khmer Rouge + Ho Chi Mihn's Vietnam + North Korea + etc...

Stay out of those forums, they don't want anyone to get to the ultimate point where you just have to admit that five years later TDU2 is worst than TDU1.:twisted:

TDU Official Forums = Holy Inquisition + Soviet Union + Comunist China + Cuba + Cambodja's Khmer Rouge + Ho Chi Mihn's Vietnam + North Korea + etc...

Stay out of those forums, they don't want anyone to get to the ultimate point where you just have to admit that five years later TDU2 is worst than TDU1.:twisted:

It's not like anyone cares there, they live in their own happy place afraid of anyone barging in and giving them a shot of reality.

Nor do the devs listen, during the beta they didn't listen to us at all, thus the physics were left ignored.

Hello all!!

I preordered the game in June 2010. I bought a G27 for Shift 2/3,Dirt 2/3 and TDU2.

The dev said in some interview (if i remember well),that the game would be really good to play on with a wheel.But in the Beta, the game feel a lot arcadish, and it seems that its the same on the final game!

I love to just cruise, on good cars and motorcycles, i was ok with the Handling of TDU1 with my G27, as long as i have fun, i don't care if its not a simulation,but really, where is the pleasure to play an "completely-arcadish' game with a good wheel?

I can, cancel my preorder until Saturday, i rarely buy or pre-buy a game (PC), i only buy good game and i wanted to buy it for online (of course^^) and because i really liked the first one.

So now i have a question for those who play with a Wheel (Xbox/PS3/PC) :

Do you think I should cancel my preorder so i don't waste money or do you think the game is still worth to buy and play on a wheel,and for online, having the idea that a patch can make the handling a little better?

Thanks ;)

Haha! That's my name on the official forums! After being banned several times for warning people, I had to go back and say it.

They're pruning and sensoring posts that question the physics over there now. It's a laugh... Thanks Eden and Atari! You have my money! I won't be fooled so easily again.

Yes, the "official" forum is no place to seriously discuss TDU2 (can't offend the moderator there, ya know).

Also, I would lay all blame on atari, as they are the publisher and financier. Eden could only make what atari told them to make, which, obviously, was a dumbed-down version of TDU1 so that it'll play on the consoles. How do you think they got TDU2 to work on a 5 year old XBOX, but most PC players will have to upgrade their RAM or GPU just to run it at all?

TDU2 is shipping with more problems than TDU1 had (for PC gamers), and I will wait till (if?) atari decides to spend the $$ to fix it before I buy it. I hope a lot of people feel this way and we can let atari know how unhappy we are with this backward-stepping game of theirs.

Seriously M1eX i think you should just get your money back from the preorder, i too got the g27 for racing sims (or even tdu1 is great with it) and the possibility of wasting your money on this game is just not worth it at all. The amount of problems with the wheel support is just really bad, the brakes suck, clutch useless, force feedback just plain stupid, and when you center the wheel it just like auto sticks going straight (like on rails), with a bit of a deadzone (which i tried fixing to no success). If you think about it all the preorder gives you is a bonus car, which is not bad but not worth the risk. I would wait abit for a response from atari about the (undeniable) amount of complaints they will recieve, but then again judging from what they said during the beta its probably not looking good.

As much as this pains, they failed the sequel and its not worth it.

(god i hope they make me eat my words)

I was tempted to take the game back for store credit. Figure I might as well wait and see what the modding community can do with the game. I won't touch it again unless there's a considerable overhaul of the handling system, at the very least. TDU1 in HC mode until then...
Thats what i was hoping for, the HC mode from TDU1 was near perfect (for me) and i assume others, i can tolerate the new driving physics but there is room for improvement.

Like to play video games? Don't get TDU2. Like to spent your money well? Don't get TDU2. Like racing games? Don't get TDU2. Just got a G25 and want to use it? Don't get TDU2. Like to drive cars? Don't get TDU2. Like to move slowly around a garage using arrow keys while a character who's supposed to be talking isn't emitting sound and then try to drive with arrow keys? Then I suppose you'd like TDU2. But don't get it.

The G25 doesn't work. Pedals jammed open, and I've tried every combo of settings (in/out of game) to get it to work. Even if it did work, though, I suspect everything would be undriveable anyway. I am currently preparing a post on its horridness, but that won't be ready for a few days (look for it in the TDU2 "The Game" section under PC when I finish it).

TDU2 was NOT a nice try, Atari/Eden. You never listened to your community, and you ruined the one thing you had going for you, which was TDU1. That's the classic. That's the one people will be (and have been) playing for years. Not the filthy cauldron of failure that was the sequel.

I'm waiting for TDU1 to come back online. See you there.

-Leadfoot

Thats what i was hoping for, the HC mode from TDU1 was near perfect (for me) and i assume others, i can tolerate the new driving physics but there is room for improvement.

Indeed, HC mode is one of the main reasons why I keep coming back to TDU. Vast improvement compared to the physics in normal mode.

It would have been awesome had they used it as a basis for TDU2's handling, rather than coding an entirely new system, and a flawed one at that. Could have spent the extra programming time to refine the physics and eliminate some of the problems, like chronic understeer.

;392682']The G25 doesn't work. Pedals jammed open' date=' and I've tried every combo of settings (in/out of game) to get it to work. Even if it did work, though, I suspect everything would be undriveable anyway. [/quote']

My G27 works though, as you suspected, the driving experience is horrible. Brakes are too sensitive regardless of settings, clutch can be unresponsive, the response of the various cars in comparison to wheel movement feels off, every car I've tested handles like you're driving on invisible tracks...

I must say that i switched to my steering wheel on 360 and now LOVE this game. feels just like it should.

i have heard that people tinker with the wheel settings tab and it makes the game much more bearable for the controller as well. :coolspot:

I think your using some kind of voodoo magic for it to work well.

yep. and turn the bottom to tabs all the way up to increased the range in throttle so that it isn't balls out no matter how much pressure you put on the trigger.

personally I will stick with my old microsoft wheel. works amazingly. I am absolutely glued to the road :thumbsup:

I think they do listen, which has probably been the downfall, there is so

much involved in this game that things have obviously been

overlooked/rushed/forgotten etc, i personally think that the clinic

and house customization is just unnecessary, but im sure it was probably

suggested years ago by fans of the first one, the trouble of trying to please

everyone! its never going to happen...

I think they do listen, which has probably been the downfall, there is so much involved in this game that things have obviously been overlooked/rushed/forgotten etc, i personally think that the clinic and house customization is just unnecessary, but im sure it was probably suggested years ago by fans of the first one, the trouble of trying to please everyone! its never going to happen...

Atari/Eden didn't even try to listen to anyone! They just built a game that they thought was what people would play - not what would be a classic. I'm not even worried about unnecessary things like cosmetics or whatever - they add to the experience, especially since we're not even required to use them. I'm talking about things like the beta, where only "the biggest TDU fans" were invited (meaning NFS fans over at the official forums :oook: ) and where Atari/Eden didn't even listen to anything that the beta testers recommended.

The phyics are still crap, the game responds slowly, and the G25 doesn't work. They removed TrackIR support (don't have one, but it was a cool feature, and I considered buying one just for TDU), removed about thirty cars, and topped it off with more bugs. Atari couldn't even tell us an honest release date. We gave you four years and a delay, Atari - if you can't get the game right, at least admit it. Don't leave us waiting in the dark for half a decade and then give us this.

-Leadfoot

Must funny thing in a video game ever. GOLF GTI with frontwheel drive and all weight in the front, oversteer without acceleration in a corner so bad its hilarious. So developer for this game is not only incompetent but they obviously never driven a car in real life either. Please never do a TDU3.