We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

DiRT Showdown

Flo

• 2 weeks later...

The demo has recently come out on all three platforms, so you can see what the game's like.

I've just tried it, and in my humble opinion it's crap. It's really sad to see what once was a great rally game series devolve into a mediocre game for 7-year-olds who like to watch brightly painted clunkers smash into each other. If only the handling and the crashes were well executed, it might have been a decent game, but the driving physics have been simplified to the point where the game presents absolutely no challenge, unless perhaps the only other game you've played is Angry Birds. The damage model is almost nonexistent, and the crashes feel like smashing 2 sponges together. What's the point of making a destruction-oriented game where the crashes don't even feel powerful? I didn't get to try the multiplayer, as you have to "challenge a friend" to be able to access it (stupid forced word-of-mouth marketing), so here's hoping the online gameplay is better.

So the handling is worse than GRID?

Definitely. Not in an uncontrollable/wobbly/unresponsive way, just... how can I put this... flat. It feels like your car is made of styrofoam, there's no weight to it at all.

EDIT: I've tried the online destruction derby mode, it's much better. The simplistic physics kinda work there. It's obvious that it was the derbies, not the racing, that the development team focused on. I'm still not sure whether to get the full version though.