We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Show us your driving videos

Camel

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[headline]Swerve and Avoid, Brake and Swerve[/headline]

This exercise shows how the car responds in an emergency swerve situation. The last two runs also require us to apply full brakes and rely on ABS. Each time we are to approach faster. The gap at the end is only about a car-length long, and we are not allowed to stop accelerating until the instructor says Brake. The last run was a little too fast on purpose to demonstrate the difference a little extra speed makes.

[headline]Skidpan[/headline]

For the record the low frame rate of these videos (and the speedometer) make this exercise appear a lot slower and tamer than it felt. I should've filmed someone else doing it from outside the car. I was surprised that the FWD car actually drifted when exiting the hairpin.

[headline]3 Laps at Phillip Island GP Circuit[/headline]

A bit of fun and instruction on racing lines (I often didn't brake/turn in quite as early as I should have) and also vision (looking as far away as possible, sometimes out the side window when approaching hairpins).

is that your golf ryzza?

nice driving

Isn't his Golf Ozz, Ry went to an event were he drove the Scirocco R. So, that video is with it.

And about the videos, they look like a good fun, learn how to behave in different situations and speeds... like a defensive driving course. Though, the 3 laps seemed cool, but you weren't really pushing the car... at least is what looks like. Many corners the car didn't even made tire noises! But well, i am judging by a video record... so, i may be completely wrong. :lol:

I can assure you they were squealing most of the way around (and we were told before by the VW guy in charge that he didn't want to hear tyres squealing around the track). The g-force meter gives a small clue that we were hanging on going around some of those turns (FWD car and the tyres aren't that wide - plus the car has been thrashed around this track all week, plus in two previous events for Brisbane and Sydney, so the tyres and brakes didn't feel that great. Lap 1 was just a sighting lap so didn't push too hard on that one. We were also told not to floor it leaving the pits. Safety first, etc.

I checked the video file properties and apparently it is only 12 frames per second (5 times slower than 60FPS), which also makes it appear slower when you watch it. If you don't believe me, try playing a racing game at <15 FPS and then switch back to 60+ FPS somehow

Have a look at the videos again Ozz - that car is clearly white. Surely you know what colour my Golf is :lol:

Thanks for the comments everyone.

20130904_162018.jpg

The instructors aren't from VW btw - they do this for a living with all sorts of manufacturers. My one had just come from a similar event but with Lamborghinis. They're not afriad of going fast, they just want you to drive as good as possible and of course are interested in self-preservation. ;)

I said '

', not video games :lol:

It's obviously not the same but there is a definitely a massive advantage to all those years experience. The biggest difference was noticed on the skidpan - when the car drifted I instinctively went to countersteer as you would in TDU1 but the ESP took over and suddenly started steering in that direction which meant a big wallop of sideways g-forces.

Doing the actual laps it's all pretty simple to combine your simulator experience with your real world driving experience (mountain roads, etc) to work out a decent route around the track. The main difference is between the car and an office chair are the extra g-forces (hanging onto the wheel in fast bends), turning your head a lot more (not looking dead ahead at a monitor), and just the car not being as nimble (i.e. more friction on turn-in) than I was expecting, which is why I often started corner turn-in about half a second too late, because I felt sure that if I did it earlier, it would be too early. Cars in games/simulators never really do a good job at communicating that weight/inertia.

Guest MrLolololXD

Disobeying the instructors is a certain way to get banned from the racetrack. Doesn't matter if you feel you could push it that much faster, if you're told not too, or are told to stick to a speed limit and break it, they can and will ban you, from either that track or all tracks across the country depending how bad you are.

For whatever reasons the 'stupid' rules are there for, they are there for a reason, which might be out of the instructors hands.

I said '
', not video games :lol:

It's obviously not the same but there is a definitely a massive advantage to all those years experience. The biggest difference was noticed on the skidpan - when the car drifted I instinctively went to countersteer as you would in TDU1 but the ESP took over and suddenly started steering in that direction which meant a big wallop of sideways g-forces.

Doing the actual laps it's all pretty simple to combine your simulator experience with your real world driving experience (mountain roads, etc) to work out a decent route around the track. The main difference is between the car and an office chair are the extra g-forces (hanging onto the wheel in fast bends), turning your head a lot more (not looking dead ahead at a monitor), and just the car not being as nimble (i.e. more friction on turn-in) than I was expecting, which is why I often started corner turn-in about half a second too late, because I felt sure that if I did it earlier, it would be too early. Cars in games/simulators never really do a good job at communicating that weight/inertia.

Lol, well, biggest difference then is that you drove a car with driving aids, when you play, you don't have it. In other words, i believe if the Scirocco didn't have the ESP, your countersteer moviment would be right. Thing is though... eletronics always messing up real driving technics! :lol:

• 2 months later...