We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

DGSotW Week 3: Hot Hatches

Ryzza5

Pick the Week 3 winner for best Hot Hatches photo  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the Week 3 winner for best Hot Hatches photo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont mean to splash some gasoline around the embers here, but I dont think youve interpretted 'hot' correctly here milli. The term 'hot hatch' isnt to mean attractive, its hot in an older sense. My father calls modified cars, and more specifically engines, 'hot' because thats how they described them well back in the day. Hot hatch, is to mean quick or 'hotted up', not necessarily attractive. Though the FF wouldnt be a hot hatch for other reasons, like the fact its actually a Grand Tourer. K, no one have a massive argument with anyone, please.

I don't know... definition of Hot Hatch is a faster version of a small family hatch. Subaru not always have been a hatch, just this newer model get it. So, in my point of view, it is almost the same as put a GT-R R35 in JDM.

It maybe fit in, but you know... just doesn't feel right.

Of course the standard 106 is not hot, but with the right spec it can be. The Rallye is at the lower end, but still fits in imo.

I don't think the Sub does because its Awd (along with the RS3) and closer to sports car than hot hatch, and they should be affordable too.

Lmao, you people must really hate me :lol:

Hot hatch was originally an informal automotive industry term, shortened from hot hatchback, initially coined by the British motoring press in 1984, for a high-performance derivative of a car body style consisting of a three- or five-door hatchback automobile.

Vehicles of this class are based on family-oriented automobiles, and are equipped with an uprated more powerful internal combustion engine, improved suspension, and may also include additional 'aerodynamic' body parts and larger wheels and tyres. Front-mounted petrol engines, together with front-wheel drive, is the most common powertrain layout, although diesel-powered, four-wheel drive and electric-petrol hybrid hot hatches are also available.

Wow mate, stop taking offense because someone has a different opinion too you.

You quoted a wiki'pinion. Brilliant. Hang your head in shame ;)

I'm kidding of course.

It's hilarious that that wiki author says hybrid hot hatches are available! :rofl:

I know wiki thinks awd is acceptable in a hot hatch... but my opinion is and always will be difference. Hell, I'll disagree just because its sourced from Wiki (frickin hate that place),

awd is just cheating in a hot hatch. Completely detracts from the meaning of them. Maybe that has more to do with my age and that I was around when they were actually hot hatches and not just SoB creations by committees.

Doesn't mean your entry is not valid though, because it is just my opinion

I also think that a hot hatch must be able to cock its rear wheel when going round corners and not be diesel fuelled.

I disagree. Ahahahahahaa :)

:evil: The drunk Squirrels will be coming for you in your sleep.

Nah, erm, fair enough, I guess it's just split on opinion here. But I chose the theme so neh. :p

btw didn't Clarkson's last DVD feature a Honda Civic Mugen hot hatch thhat was a hybrid? The Mk7 version of my Golf will also replace the supercharger with electricity.

Had power figures similar to the Golf GTI iirc. For a car to make it into a video game in the first place would have to indicate it's somewhat hot, although GT5 has a lot of slow cars as well. I have no problems with any of the entries so far.

Guest MrLolololXD

Would it help clarify things if a person who actually works in the motor trade described what everybody in the industry calls it?

Because I'm here. In my opinion the GR/GH WRX's are a hot hatch and that's what they're known as amongst the people I work with and the people who work on them.

They're an uprated version from the base model performance wise, so they've been hotted up. And they are a hatchback... So I fail to understand how people don't consider it a hot hatch? :confused:

Would it help clarify things if a person who actually works in the motor trade described what everybody in the industry calls it?

Because I'm here. In my opinion the GR/GH WRX's are a hot hatch and that's what they're known as amongst the people I work with and the people who work on them.

They're an uprated version from the base model performance wise, so they've been hotted up. And they are a hatchback... So I fail to understand how people don't consider it a hot hatch? :confused:

If that is only thing that matters, is Panamera Turbo S a hot hatch? It is a hotted up version of base Panamera. Is BMW M Coupe a hot hatch? Since it is the M version of the Z3 coupe. Both have hatches tailgates... also, to go further, if Ferrari makes a 1000hp Ferrari FF, will it be a hot hatch? Don't think so.

Look, i don't know, i don't consider the STi a hot hatch, same way as the GT-R is not a JDM. But who cares? I am just a hater.

^I don't see why the Panamera would be considered a hatchback when it's more like a luxury saloon or a grand tourer. The FF is more like one but I'd still call it a shooting brake rather than a hatchback. And your logic (how the car needs to have heritage) would be like calling the Honda Integra a car because that's what it used to be. Let's make it simple:

Hatchback

800px-2010_Subaru_Impreza_%28MY11%29_RX_hatchback_01.jpg

Hot Hatchback

ImprezaSTI3rd.jpg

End of thread?