We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Let's talk about the Sony PlayStation 4 event :: Feb 20th 2013

Eudemon

But the PS4 have many components that were available in the market for some time now... so what's the great thing about it?

If it was the latest and best tech, it'd be too expensive for most people. Look at Xbox 360, it was running old hardware by the time it was released and still has managed to improve a lot from where we started. Can't wait to see the true potential of next-gen consoles :)

If it was the latest and best tech, it'd be too expensive for most people. Look at Xbox 360, it was running old hardware by the time it was released and still has managed to improve a lot from where we started. Can't wait to see the true potential of next-gen consoles :)

It's true. They even stated in the press conference that the tech will be easy to make games for, but extremely powerful to expand on for the life of the console. The tech inside consoles are obviously limited by what's available - pc's can upgrade at any point. But consoles last with the tech inside them.

Some people forget that consoles are closed systems and make full use of their components and that even sometimes these components are custom fabricated to work in a specific way. A PC has quite a bit of overhead to contend with in the OS and such, that's not to say a high-end PC isn't more powerful of course it is but equivalent spec consoles vs PC are usually going to work in favour of the console due to having a set standard to develop to and also like I said the hardware is full-on ready for mainly one purpose, playing games.

The good thing is the PC based architectures of these systems allows developers to create similar titles across all platforms and maybe even use more advanced multi-core techniques that the PC has been longing for but has been held back since the consoles were the systems to create for. The other thing is launch titles are never usually near using the full potential of a system so like all generations as devs get used to the systems even better visuals and games will come in the future.

Thing is for me personally I hardly ever play older games on a newer console. If you've bought on launch day then no doubt you will still have your old console anyway if you do get tired of playing the latest next-gen delight. BC is not a big thing for me and I really wonder just how many people actually do use BC systems when they have their new systems. Don't get me wrong I have played older games on new consoles but only when I've felt like a bit of nostalgia or if I want to see if I have rose tinted specs about a certain title.

The x86 CPU was designed when 3.85GB of RAM was astronomical (we measured RAM in KB back then).

Unlike an ARM or Cell CPU which are completely different in their design, the x64 is more of an extension of the x86 design (which is why it's "x86-based") so that it can make twice as many computations at once and the maximum amount of supported RAM is again now astronomical.

So yes, you need the 64-bit OS to use over 4GB of RAM but in a 64-bit version of Windows you can still run 32-bit apps, whereas you can't insert an Xbox DVD and play that in Windows.

That's the dumbed down version, check Wikipedia if you want something more nerdy :)