We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

XBOX ONE - #XboxReveal 21st May 2013 - Discussion Thread

Eudemon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you missed the Reveal.

Also BAk all that extra stuff may sound good to you but to a large number it's just not needed, Xbox 360 and PS3 were premier Netflix and Hulu providers and were used to prove 'that people are watching less television'. With a big match like the CL final or the World Cup I am not going to want to game and 'snap' the TV to the side as my full attention will be one or the other only and tbh TV's these days have been allowing people to do this for years with picture-in-picture. It just seems crazy to me that they have gone down this route considering a lot of players on Xbox picked 360 for their cross-platform titles due to it looking better, now Sony is probably going to have this advantage. The only good thing I heard was that Live was going to dedicated servers, that could be a giant feather in their cap as it allows larger playcounts and less lag. It also now justifies paying for Xbox Live.

It comes with a 500GB Hard Drive but how easy can this be upgraded? All games need to be installed, now say you use XBone as a PVR too that 500GB is going to go in not too long a time. I actually worry more about how lackadaisical Sony could get if people don't take to the XBone meaning there's no need for them to try harder like they have been doing so well lately.

Well, it will still play the latest games very well, so all you have to do is not use the extra features... I'm sure there are consumers out there somewhere that will want those extra features, some of them look pretty nifty to me. But the actual console will still play games very well I'd imagine so I'd hardly say it's a reason not to buy it. Especially since PS4 will probably have a lot of similar social internet stuffs. :p

Microsoft are not stupid. It's called 'One' for a reason & if they provide the same level of gaming abilities with those features then I'm massively happy. I collect games & sure pre-owned has done me well recently with titles that I couldn't be bothered to pay for full price for but here's the thing. If you think like Steam new copies of games will be available at discounted prices anyway because pre-owning won't be around to make a more competetive market with used games. People won't decide to trade in a game within 2days of buying it. That's what retail customer disatisfaction is for. Really I'm not caring about the great console wars cos I'll be buying both Xone & PS4 since I own the predecessors. I can assure I won't be buying another Nintendo system anytime soon that's for sure.

It comes with a 500GB Hard Drive but how easy can this be upgraded? All games need to be installed, now say you use XBone as a PVR too that 500GB is going to go in not too long a time. I actually worry more about how lackadaisical Sony could get if people don't take to the XBone meaning there's no need for them to try harder like they have been doing so well lately.

I'm glad somebody brought this up, 500GB isn't very much when you have to install every single game. Battlefield 3 takes up 19GB on my 360 alone and all the Mass Effect Games total up to another 48GB. Newer games are going to take up even more space as well.

Perhaps they'll see sense and let you format externals so that they can be used to install/record to?

Even more wishful thinking would be to let use install to network media. I have a nice 4TB NAS that could do with some more use. /dream

I have done. And it wasn't any slower than running it off one of the internal drives. Not saying it would be like that for everyone as their network may not be upto it or NAS for that matter.

It'd just be nice to have a choice.

Based on what's shown at E3, you might see those figures jump even more. There are many, many people not happy about the Xbox One. From the Kinect always watching you, to the supposed $35 used game fee you'll have to pay - not to mention the Xbox isn't even a gaming console anymore, they've focused way too much on adding 1,000,000 other things onto the console that over 50% of people aren't going to bother with..

I've always been a bit disappointed in Microsoft but this is just insane. Perhaps we've reached a point where their greediness has overcome the want to make a quality gaming system.

It's not even so much just the gaming as think of PS1 it allowed you to play CD's too, PS2 and Xbox were DVD players and PS3/Xbox 360 allowed streaming media, DVD's and Blu-ray in the case of the PS3 so they haven't always been dedicated to ONLY games. It's the whole shift in making 'games' a secondary focus that's upsetting people, not to mention the stupid decisions and after-thoughts that seem to be slipping through the media now. Good example being they're calling it the XBOX ONE but it requires a separate set-top box to plug-in to it to have that one box functionality. Then we have the whole Live TV only for the US at launch with the outlook of signing up other networks and services in Europe etc later.

Then there is the whole probability that PS4 is going to be 25-40% more powerful so games especially those from Sony will look increasingly better on their system, how third-party devs will utilise this will remain to be seen. They also seem to be trying to talk up the 'Cloud' but current infrastructure doesn't really support some of the things they are saying, have you seen the "XBOX ONE is 10x more powerful than Xbox 360 alone but 40x more powerful with the CLOUD"?

There's a lot to shake your head at with the Xbone but time will tell if they - just like the Wii did - can hook up the casual market with these gimmicks and less of a focus on games.

There's nothing to stop Sony releasing a TV box [again] either if that's what people show what they want.

Currently, with all the stuff comming out from Microsoft about the "One", it's looking less and less likely i'll be getting one.

What i've heard about the power of the thing is that apparently it has 8GB of some form of RAM, and atleast 5GB of that RAM is used for the 3 OS' that the "One" has, leaving atleast 3GB for games.

Then there's the stuff comming out about Kinect. Always listening even though you can apparently disable it. It will always be listening for an "Xbox On" command. Sound unsettleing.

Currently, with all the stuff comming out from Microsoft about the "One", it's looking less and less likely i'll be getting one.

What i've heard about the power of the thing is that apparently it has 8GB of some form of RAM, and atleast 5GB of that RAM is used for the 3 OS' that the "One" has, leaving atleast 3GB for games.

Then there's the stuff comming out about Kinect. Always listening even though you can apparently disable it. It will always be listening for an "Xbox On" command. Sound unsettleing.

hardware on consoles are quite irrelevant if your reference point is pc though

see how good GT5-6 looks with only 256mb GPU

You know what made me burst out laughing earlier tonight? The new IE advert where they talk about the 'Do Not Track' functionality and how Privacy is their main concern ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt51MWll1oY

...and then they bring out the Xbone which is always listening and on (when plugged-in) via Kinect 2, may stop or charge you for movies you watch due to how many people are in the room and of course their seriously out of touch anti-consumerist take on not only used games, but the general happening of how you may take your game round to a mates to play and won't be able to without either some DRM/Profile check or paying to be able to use it on your mates machine. :fp3:

Other way round mate, 3GB for OS/Other and 5GB for games.

MS took a big risk in setting Do Not Track = On as the default option in IE10 (which is default on all Win 8 devices) in upsetting all the worlds advertisers. They were threatening to boycott the whole DNT technology altogether and ignore the setting.

So apparently game retailers have now been briefed by MS concerning used games. They will be hooked up to a MS database (think along the lines of activating Windows or Office), and before they can sell a used game, they enter it into the MS database so that the previous owner can no longer play it. What we still don't know is if there's an extra charge associated with this that goes to MS and the game publisher. In which case you're not going to get as much for your trade-in (so why bother) and/or the used game will cost more (again, so why bother when you could buy new on eBay for about as much).

For a great game I'd preorder new, and for other games I'll get cheap on eBay or wait for a Steam sale. Pretty rare that I buy a used game, and if I do, it's only because I've wandered into a shop and noticed something that might be half decent but wouldn't phase me if I played it or not (i.e. last used game purchase was Skate 3)