We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The 306 Wagon

me™

Well it's about time I posted this. I've only had the car a month or so!

So after my old 306 spat out a conrod and I sold the MX-5 (I just never felt quite... right in it. Bit too conspicuous for me), I needed a car. I always liked the look of the 306 estate, and wanted to try the HDi engine instead of the agricultural old XUD in my phase 1 306 I used to have.

So I went and bought this for £770. 2001 Y reg 2.0 HDi with 110k miles on the clock.

I took these photos after removing the horrible wheel trims and debadging it.

WV3QLan.jpg

2F2dzgV.jpg

I got some new shoes about a week afterwards...

uZGC1ud.jpg

Then after about 2 weeks of ownership, I did a stage 1 remap with an OBD cable and a laptop. It now has roughly 120bhp instead of the standard 90bhp. In real-world driving it's about as fast as the MX-5, 20bhp less but a bucketload of torque! This map just alters the injector mapping and not the boost too, so no risk of the conrods going pop like the last one! Hell, people who tune the XUDs to silly levels use HDi conrods because they're stronger!

This weekend I did a popular exhaust mod. I converted a centre section into a backbox, because it's freer flowing than the backbox. I needed to replace my centre section anyway, and I also found out I needed to replace the backbox...

9qWoNyz.jpg

So, the new mid section went in its proper place and the old one got the end trimmed off to make it into a backbox...

NXXNmII.jpg

Some creative use of an old exhaust hanger and threaded bar later...

QzVpdrN.jpg

UcNzEeh.jpg

It exits in an awesome place on the estates. This is because the back end is so long you have to cut it after the kink.

RjIK3bv.jpg

rq8dA3Q.jpg

I then tidied it up with a bit of chrome trim. :D

q09WIJb.jpg

I also replaced the driver's side wing, which looked like it was repainted by Stevie Wonder...

1SY5MVs.jpg

That's how it stands today.

With those new shoes it definitely looks tidy :nods:

Exhaust note video? :D

The exhaust note isn't really all that interesting. There's a tiny, tiny bit of turbo whistle sometimes, but meh...

Calster: I don't actually have any photos of it with the replacement wing, whoops! It's not repainted, just another moonstone blue wing I got from Overton.

The exhaust note isn't really all that interesting. There's a tiny, tiny bit of turbo whistle sometimes, but meh...

Calster: I don't actually have any photos of it with the replacement wing, whoops! It's not repainted, just another moonstone blue wing I got from Overton.

Ah.. so it doesn't sound like tanks have invaded Scotland... you'll have to fix that. :hmmm:

Well, my next plan is to give the old steel wheels a lick of paint, as they have winter tyres on them.

I'm thinking hammerite of some sort... maybe gunmetal grey.

No idea when it'll happen though, as I'm on holiday for a week, starting this Saturday. Family are renting a villa near Florence, aaaw yeah!

Only just seen this dedicated thread for your new 306 :p

Did you use HDI-Tuning for your remap? What do you think of the differences?

Mine just boggles my mind, it's completely standard (as far as I can tell), some times it feels dog slow and other times it really seems to get it's arse going with little effort, goes really quite well for 90BHP in 4th and 5th which I can sort of understand as the weight is already moving at that point. Always been looking to re-map mine, but I'd leave it at that rather than going down the usual de-cat, de-egr, intercooler, stage 2, blah blah blah. I couldn't do anything else other than the laptop-remap myself anyway as I often end up running around the garage like a monkey while waving hammers about anyway :p

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a stage 1 map from MidnightClub on 306oc at a very reasonable price. Was recommended him by several people on the forums.

Just bought a cheap OBD lead and software from ebay and plugged it in with a laptop. Not sure how far I'm going to go with it. At the end of the day it's a cheap workhorse. The stage 1 map is night and day from the standard map though! The map itself is literally just a 512kb .bin file, lol.

I did this today as I had it lying about and the filter in there was dead. It's bodge-tastic but works and gives it some bwarp.

averoEa.jpg

You can just see the original intake running up underneath the cone filter there, so it's still got a decent supply of cold air.