We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Did you know TDU devs quitted Atari to start The Crew idea alone?

MaddGuss

Hello community!

Tonight i have been missing a lot the old times cruising the Oahu island with friends i met there. The Mustang Saleens bodykit, the Jaguar's XKR V8 sound, the menace of the Ford GT stage 3 tuned, the 2.6secs for zero to 60mph with the Z06 with manual gearbox + clutch +steering wheel. Ahhh it had been a good time actually!

I have been a player of San Andreas Multiplayer (SA:MP) for over 6 years, i have understood the reversed engineering concept iKey07 (the developer) went throught to make it happen for GTA SA. I, my self realised TDU1 needed to be reversed coded with private servers being coded by users at home. I wanted and still want to learn more than the basics of coding to make it happen.

My tonight's research came up with Speeder's (that French-pretending-tobe-developing) TDU: Paradise Online project and it his word "s00n" was very promising... until i realised he posted that back in 2012... ughh!

Well, i feel like i am a bit happy because not only us-the users of the game were disappointed, but main developers from Atari/Eden as well. The "Edge-Online.com" has a post that describes the story of the TDU1's producer Ahmed Boukhelifa, director Stephane Beley and Eden CFO Emmanuel Oualid.

Link: The Eden project: why The Crew creator Ivory Tower quit Test Drive Unlimited 2 to start all over again | Features | Edge Online

I am sure many of you have already read this though. It's a very interesting story and can show the values of ethics, beliefs, strength and risk, freedom and generally the do-what-the-phack-you-want-in-life!

I was one of you that BETA tested TDU2, complained about the physics and the steering wheel/clutch problems. Though i bought it when ti came out, fooling my self Atari would have heard of our complains. Sortly after my onlien save got corrupted i gave up.

I was one of you who would play TDU1 on the weekends, do some easy cruises on Hawai, and race some fools with groups A's against my Z06, my RS4 or even my Cobra Daytona in the corners and hills for easy money. Ughh god i miss those days.

Now i am older than i used to be back that time. Now i am 20, then i was 13. Though i am going to spend the money needed to get The Crew as soon as it is released! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I remember the TDU2 beta. It was actually pretty fun, purely because finally we knew it was happening and could test it for ourselves. I also complained about the handling/physics, shame they never listened. Too many negative qualities ruined a game which had some good qualities.

Also you'll be happy to know the Paradise mod is in beta testing at the moment, online works again. :)

Yeah, I remember the TDU2 beta. It was actually pretty fun, purely because finally we knew it was happening and could test it for ourselves. I also complained about the handling/physics, shame they never listened. Too many negative qualities ruined a game which had some good qualities.

Also you'll be happy to know the Paradise mod is in beta testing at the moment, online works again. :)

It was nice to be part of TDU2's beta, until you realized that their second update didn't really bring more than just a new car or two but no fixes. They never seemed to care about the Beta and it was too massive for them to fix anyway (my noobish topic had 14 pages full of bugs, glitches and errors at the end of the beta period). The only ''recognition'' you'd get was a compliment of that GM[...] mod/admin who was also just a community representative and was abused as a human shield by atari and eden studios. :(

Ooooh, I remember the moment when a member on here, whom I haven't seen around here for ages, sent me the link for the code (I think) and the game. I was freaking out like a little kid... Well, I was little back then... :susp: I even moved my PC to my bedroom as sister was studying for some exams and wouldn't let me play it for the whole weekend. I was enjoying it quite a lot. Definitely more than the final game.

After all this broken english?

The post is for what? Telling your life story or saying the TDU2 devs quit for The Crew which we all knew about since The Crew was announced.

I'm confused at what you're trying to say, please make it clearer :)

He made only two mistakes, and all he wanted to do was share his thoughts.

@Op

You say french pretending to be developing TDU, but you know what? He actually did it and released the beta today so head over to TDU section, download it and have fun! Cheers :D

After all this broken english?

The post is for what? Telling your life story or saying the TDU2 devs quit for The Crew which we all knew about since The Crew was announced.

I'm confused at what you're trying to say, please make it clearer :)

What a nice welcome for the guy. Drop that tone, you've caused trouble with your attitude before and I can't be the only one getting tired of it. That was his first post and there's a chance that he hasn't seen the article before.

Welcome to the forum MaddGuss, be sure to check out Speeder's work now that it's nearing completion :welcome::duck:

I wasn't really aware of the latest things going on about the TDU Paradise, i randomly visited Speeders blog and i saw the last post 2 years ago. My mistake is that i did not search the whole forum if there was a topic about the Edge's article too. My intention was to share it with people who, like me, may have not seen that yet. Along with that i felt like saying my story too. Probably i could have made that thread with a welcome title...

Just removed TDU DVD from the shelf, cleaned it up and set it for a clean new installation ;) Thread can be closed, see you online the sooner.