We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The McLaren going up against cars like the 911 turbo/GT3 with that sort of performance is going to be a success for them I feel. I just wonder if they are starting to dilute the image of their other cars though as it's going to be a process of elimination for most people to tell what it is that's coming towards them.

"OMG there's a P1 coming.... no wait it's a 675LT ....no hang on, it could be a 650S ........screw it, there's a McLaren coming!"

starting to dilute the image of their other cars though

Do you mean aesthetically, or do you also mean there are too many Mclaren models, it's diluting the brand? Cause i'm not so sure about that just yet.

2016 Lincoln Continental Concept:

xspfrm1p0jaeptvlxf0l.jpg

zpqz7u9gfdxhewjaisdq.jpg

ucylvfily9mvsxhjygea.jpg

Image Source

What do people think? I think it's quite generic looking, if it drove down the street I wouldn't think 'now that's a lincoln continental!'. Personally I do think it looks a lot like a bentley flying spur (comparison). But even so, the Flying Spur isn't the most striking design, and it's basically that design with the best features stripped away.

Good to see lincoln trying I guess, I just think they've missed the mark with this one.

I quite like it, though the maxi cosy design with split side supports for the seats is really a let-down imo. Too bad it's ''just another american flagship concept'', doomed like those who went before it (Ford Interceptor, those Cadillacs including the Sixteen, etc).

If the lights were less 'happy' so to say I think it would look much better it's grown on me a bit

I don't see any happy in them at all, more like 50/50 sad and angry, to each their own. :p

Not sure what I feel about that Continental but meh, it doesn't matter as it won't make its way across the pond anyway.

It's incredibly boring, there's nothing that stands out on it that makes me want to take a closer look. Hell throw a Ford badge on it and you have the new Scorpio!

@Mike: Yeah I mean in the looks, they are fine making different cars but having them all share what is essentially the same design cues is risking confusion when these cars are being identified.

:msuh3: :drool: :nuts:

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder

P15_0201_a4_rgb.jpg

P15_0192_a4_rgb.jpg

P15_0202_a4_rgb.jpg

P15_0189_a4_rgb.jpg

n3zwrlbr6mv5egzyce6x.jpg

The last Boxster Spyder was successful so Porsche decided to make another one, on the 986 chassis.

It's got a 375hp 3.8 liter flat-six according to the press release I'm reading through now so it must be the Carrera S engine, which the Cayman GT4 has got too. 0-60 mph takes 4.3 seconds. The roof tent is now manually foldable in comparison to the old model - watch James May's TG test to see how it's done in the rain. The front bumper is carried over from the Cayman GT4, the headrests and the rear lid pay tribute to the 718 Spyder Porsche says. Front brakes are from the Carrera S, 20mm lower suspension as standard as well as sport seats (not the bucket seats pictured). It is 6-speed manual only (yay!) and because it is a lightweight model (1,315 kg) A/C and radio are not standard, but they can be added for free. The Spyder costs 88 'Murican thousands.

The rear canopy would work great on a larger car but I think on a car the boxster's size, it makes it look like a humpback, not very graceful.

That being said, It's great they've improved the roof situation and I think this would be the Cayman/Boxster of my choice tbh, the GT4 isn't for me.

Rolls-Royce "Project Cullinan" aka "high-sided, all-terrain motor car" aka riced Phantom Series II

This is the test mule for the R-R SUV thing, a Phantom Series II with a shortened wheelbase, lifted suspension (carrying some new stuff probably) and a big ass wing - probably to simulate the longer roof the SUV? Either way, it looks awful.

2018-Rolls-Royce-Project-Cullinan-03-626x382.jpg

2018-Rolls-Royce-Project-Cullinan-02-626x382.jpg

A bit like that raised Maserati 4-door mule (which I think was an Alfa really?). I find too mint for a mule though. I wanna see improvised ways of panel attachment. I like irregularities, stuff like missing center caps, tape here and there, measuring equipment. Now they just riced a Rolls.

I think the AMG GT3 made several appearances in this topic, already telling it comes with a 6.2 V8 instead of the 4.0 hot-V unit. This is what is sounds like:

BMW 7 Series G11/G12

The release of the brand new 7er is getting closer and yesterday BMW shared some interesting tech bits about the new car.

First of all, it's the CFRP material that is the big key thing. They call it 'Carbon Core' and it consists of carbon fibre, aluminium and metal and this structure has helped reducing the weight of the G1x 7 Series up to 130 kg (286 pounds) (depending on engine variants obviously). For instance, the lightest version - 740i - weighs 1,900 kg so if BMW is not lying (there were some inaccuracies going on with the M3/M4), it could be even lighter than the 5 Series.

P90179340-highRes.jpg

P90179343-highRes.jpg

Another important features of the new 7 Series is the infotainment and electronics. At this year's CES showed a 5 GT cockpit equipped with iDrive Touch and Gesture Control, and it has now made its way to a production model. The new 7er has got a new iDrive version (that's quite interesting as the latest version is only two years old) that has now touchscreen in addition to the controller. IMHO, I don't see the reason to use the touchscreen as the controller is very convenient and now you can do gestures to accept/decline calls, turn up/down the volume, turn on/off the screen and maybe other things. The A/C panel has a touchscreen, too.

P90179278-highRes.jpg

P90179282-highRes.jpg

BMW says that the 7er is the first production car to have Remote Control Parking system - it can park by itself. :eek:

Previously leaked photos:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1137153&d=1420053855

attachment.php?attachmentid=1137156&d=1420053855

attachment.php?attachmentid=1137157&d=1420053855

attachment.php?attachmentid=1137158&d=1420053855

What they said was that it can drive forwards/backwards in/out of a parking space by you using the key or something. That way, if it's a really tight space you can get out and let the car drive in by itself. On one hand I can see that being useful, on the other hand I can't see anyone owning this car parking sensibly. xD

One of the biggest issues with that R420 thing is as follows:

A: What car do you drive?

B: A VW Golf R420

A: Oh my friend has a golf, they're so comfy!

B: YEAH BUT THIS ONE HAS MAHOOSIVE WHEELZ, ENGINEZ AND EXHAUSTZ

It's still a golf, I'd rather get a Cayman. Though the golf will be incredible value for money if it's going to be less than €50k as predicted, about the same price as a base cayman. It just isn't the car for me :)

I think you got that a bit wrong :cheeky:

A: What car do you drive?

B: A Golf - ....

A: :zzz:

B: No no no it's the R420 with MAHOOSIVE WHEELZ, ENGINEZ AND EXHAUSTZ

Had Top Gear ever dug up their Cool Wall again, this would have probably have been destined for the lower half of it for that reason. I like that VW have decided to do something actually genuinely exciting though.