We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Car spotting hate

ILPhotography

:hello:

I guess some people think their license plate being photographed is an invasion of their privacy for some reason or another *shrug* I've never had this issue, but I'm always aware/paranoid of having that kind of response if I'm talking a photo of someones car quite obviously in front of them.

Welcome to TDUCK btw :D

Here in the city of Berlin, we got a criminal clan, one of them is driving an Aventador (the fifth in 2 years) and he once said "if he will ever find a picture of my car in the internet, we will get a huge problem with him" very aggressivly. But he is not the guy hiding - blasting with 200 kp/h in the city center and thinks the police stopped him because they found our pictures on facebook.

Well, from this moment, I just keep ignoring his stupidly loud Aventador, eventhough I seem to be afraid of the Aventador sound in general. The Aventador Corsa mode sound burned in my head like "oh noes, not again"

Interesting intro :hmmm:.

I can understand regular owners being wary of people taking pics of their cars and tbh if I did it myself I would tend to hide the plate of any pics I tended to throw up online. In a way you could understand the worry of dodgy folk looking up the plate details to find the car or even the owner's place of residence. Crucially though, it is not illegal to take pics of cars out in public so it would just be a case of common courtesy whether you obeyed their request if they so asked.

I hate those kind of people. They think there above the law.

--- Post Updated ---

Interesting intro :hmmm:.

I can understand regular owners being wary of people taking pics of their cars and tbh if I did it myself I would tend to hide the plate of any pics I tended to throw up online. In a way you could understand the worry of dodgy folk looking up the plate details to find the car or even the owner's place of residence. Crucially though, it is not illegal to take pics of cars out in public so it would just be a case of common courtesy whether you obeyed their request if they so asked.

It was in a public place and totally legal, i think they are worried because the car was bought with stolen money.

Yeah an i8 is kinda exclusive but also kinda normal so you'll probably come up against a mixed bag of owners. If you owned a supercar you must surely realise that the government can also search by make/model/colour and not just by the ID plate.

It was in a public place and totally legal, i think they are worried because the car was bought with stolen money.

Of course she could have just said something politely, but some people don't want to be photographed. Me and my car neither. If you find my car nice and appreciate it, go tell me and we can have a chat. Tis better than some teenager or twenty-something with a Canon (and he's made an FB page with the word "photography" at the end) setting up his tripod while recording himself in front of the car, etc.

Of course she could have just said something politely, but some people don't want to be photographed. Me and my car neither. If you find my car nice and appreciate it, go tell me and we can have a chat. Tis better than some teenager or twenty-something with a Canon (and he's made an FB page with the word "photography" at the end) setting up his tripod while recording himself in front of the car, etc.

Depends on the car imo. If I owned a Mclaren P1, it would be fine, compared to a gray sedan.

The only times I could understand people taking offence at this is if their car was photographed outside their own home or if they were in the car/around the car at the time. What's wrong with asking someone if you can take a pic of their car? The worst they could do is say no.

As for a car randomly parked up somewhere I really don't see the problem. It's in a public place and you're not intentionally taking pictures of people so it's legal. As for the number plate thing. The police can't even lookup registration details without a reason, it's needs to be for policing purposes and you can't just ring the DVLA up any more and pay for owners details without good reason. This is in the UK at least.