We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Ecclestone wants wins to decide title

Nodz86

Bernie Ecclestone says he wants to see the Formula 1 scoring format abolished and the championship title given to whoever wins the most races.

The Formula 1 supremo told the Daily Mail newspaper that the current points system did not offer sufficient incentives to push for victory, as there is only a two-point gap between winning and second place.

He believes abandoning drivers' points in favour of a winner takes all approach would make the races much more entertaining.

"I got a bit waylaid last season, what with all the business with McLaren and Ferrari, but it is my intention to push this idea through in the coming weeks," said Ecclestone.

"The key word in motor racing is 'racing', and right now there are not enough overtaking manoeuvres in the sport because drivers are happy not to take risks and claim second place because it is only two points less than winning the race.

"What I want to see is the winner of the most number of races as world champion, and second places only to be used if the top two finish the season with the same number of wins.

"The constructors would keep the existing system."

Although Ecclestone controls the commercial side of F1, the FIA is responsible for the regulations.

Bernie's proposed system would not have made a difference to any of the recent championship fights, although more would have been decided by final round showdowns.

The driver with the most wins has taken the title every year since 1989, when Ayrton Senna won six grands prix but lost the crown to four-time race winner Alain Prost.

Nigel Mansell would also have become a three-time champion under Ecclestone's proposal, adding the 1986 and 1987 championships to his 1992 title.

What does everyone think about this good or bad idea????

Can keep on topic and not get into the driver/team slagging off/debates/arguements please.

The thing I could see with this though is more "accidents". Think about it, teammates could "accidentally" cause a safety car to come out, could "accidentally" cause confusion in the pits, could "accidentally hit the guy in front"...well you get the idea.

Sounds good yeah but it definitely has it's disadvantages also.

The thing I could see with this though is more "accidents". Think about it, teammates could "accidentally" cause a safety car to come out, could "accidentally" cause confusion in the pits, could "accidentally hit the guy in front"...well you get the idea.

Sounds good yeah but it definitely has it's disadvantages also.

They'd just have to watch these so called "accidents" and slap penalties on the drivers/teams that cause them. Have a zero tolerance policy.

not entirely the precise scoring points, but surely can't you give a 5 point gap between first and second so for example

1st = 15pts

2nd = 10pts

that way settling for 2nd place won't be enough, and drivers will still have to push hard to either catch up or stay infront, also i think the point system does work cause it means the lower teams ( who lets face it, can't afford the technology needed to win races these days) have something to aim for, say last year they got 5 pts next year they will try and beat that

not sure if any of that makes sense, but im way too tired to care, but thought i would add my two pence worth

I'd like to know how they'd work out the money each team wins ... at the moment it's based on points at the end of the season

if they made it that only the podium positions counted ... so guy with the most number of wins, then in the case of a tie, most no of 2nds etc ... how would you work out what team gets what in terms of cash? ... as car mad put it why would teams like super aguri bother competing?

nige, why doesn't your userbar say "I love Kimi"?

I'd like to know how they'd work out the money each team wins ... at the moment it's based on points at the end of the season

if they made it that only the podium positions counted ... so guy with the most number of wins, then in the case of a tie, most no of 2nds etc ... how would you work out what team gets what in terms of cash? ... as car mad put it why would teams like super aguri bother competing?

"The constructors would keep the existing system." :)

nige, why doesn't your userbar say "I love Kimi"?

LOL :D.

Urmmm people will think I am a crazed Kimi fanboy :eek:.

• 1 month later...

i don't like it and i think that Ecclestone's meddling a bit too much with the sport atm

Firstly, it takes out all the fun of the points system - think of the climax for the 2007 F1 and how gripping the final race was

Secondly, it practically removes the middle and back races. Only the front two teams would stand any chance of finishing first. There was only a couple of races in the last series that didnt end with either a Ferrari or a Mclaren upfront.

(Can anyone tell that i just discovered this part of the forum!)