We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

My Capri

AdamFraser

Nice one man, i can't wait to see how it ends up. A guy by my mate's house has a short-block Chevy V8 engined Capri (was originally a 2.8i) sitting in his garage with a Tickford Capri as his on-road car, they both look fantastic, i'll try and get some pictures.

I wish you the best of luck in this project :D.

Not a clue - Although i'm only on 3k miles a year - Travel 2 miles every day form work and back, rest is leisure... and thats not much. Probably helps quite a bit.

God it's been an expensive day!

expensivedayres.jpg

Alpine headunit mounted to 2 front Alpine speakers through to 2 rear Kendwoods.. new wiring and connectors. Lots of bodywork bits aswell. Bloody Halfords gave me the wrong adapter for the CD player - Not happy. Back in tomorrow for a replacement and then we "should" be good to go. Wont speak too soon though.

Took the front bumper off ...

bumperoffres.jpg

Had a struggle with the rear.. got so agitated with it i grinded it off... somehow looks really good if the back end was all smoothed out... it's an aveue of thought. Although i'm thinking a car with no rear bumper but a front one would look odd... Obviously would have the brackets removed and the holes fillered in and the whole lot smoothed out.. Ive seen it done before and damn it looked good...thoughts?

rearendsmooth.jpg

Started to sand the front bumper down - long and laborious process but I want to get it perfect.

sandingdownres.jpg

Going to take me the rest of the weeknights to get the front and rear end bupers sanded down... and picking up new panels on saturday, and hope to get the exhaust fitted this week too. Good fun !

Its a 1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=257

I've joined a few forums with members that own GM B-Body cars, and have learned a lot of information from it, more than I need to know, but I love doing research on cars. My parents are the original owners, and the car has been sitting since late 2006. We installed a new battery and the car is working great, but we are going to be sending it to a local garage to have them see if it needs major work. This car is my life, and I can't imagine living without it. :D

I want mine to look like this in a few years.

picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=201

Good luck with the Capri and sorry for stealing your thread. :cheeky:

I thought that Roadmaster with the sweet mags was "YOUR" car?

good choice on the Alpine stereo i had that one on my last car, and i couldn't fault it excellent sound quality even on standard speakers, easy to use and not too distracting

however i thought i would different on my current car and try a pioneer headunit , and that was the biggest mistake i ever made, i hate the dame thing, and can't really afford to replace it

liking the progress on your Capri , altho you do realize that with a project like you got you will never be happy with it :P

good choice on the Alpine stereo i had that one on my last car, and i couldn't fault it excellent sound quality even on standard speakers, easy to use and not too distracting

however i thought i would different on my current car and try a pioneer headunit , and that was the biggest mistake i ever made, i hate the dame thing, and can't really afford to replace it

liking the progress on your Capri , altho you do realize that with a project like you got you will never be happy with it :P

Yeah it is good.. and would work great, if some bugger hasnt been messing with the previous loom... so big rewiring job on the way.

Picked up the panels a few days ago (Saturday night) - done a quick mock up on Sunday morning to see what they would look like.

God it's wide. Alot wider than I expected.

Now at the point of thought - MOT it and run it for a year - or get a cheap runaround and throw lots of cash at this and get it perfcet...I dont know :confused: .. My reasoning is, a 2.8 Injection would be a perfect base car for all this... that has power steering (mine dosent), runs on unleaded (this runs 4 star.. nightmare), better engine (this is a 1.6) the list is endless. If I got this decent I could sell it on for near enough the price of a poor 2.8 Injection, but by then I'll have got more money together and could buy overall, a much better car. Decisions decisions..

I'll just stick up this picture for now... I'm knackered! Think I might tackle the electrics tomorrow, either that or crack out the Burton power catolougue and spend a small fortune..

IMG_6008res.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Extemely sorry for the lack op updates - Internet went off for a bloody week !

Well since last update -

Bought new exhaust and fitted it, mucho quietness now. Mmm.

Remember those horrid rotten parts on the front of the bonnet? If not - her is a reminder.

bonnetrust.jpg

Now most people would crap theirself at that and go - Aargh, bodyshop! Dont be afraid though !

Unlike most I have seen, I actually cut the rust out totally and took it back to bare metal. This way, rust is totally eliminated. But just incase, some Hammerite Kurust was applied which turns rust to metal in a matter of hours. Good stuff.

I then filled up the "holes" with a small cutting of Glass Fibre, and then got some U-Pol Bodyfiller over the top. I'm used to using U-Pol at work and it's what I'm used to. Costly at just over a tenner for a tub that wont last me much longer!

Mixed the filler with hardner, gold ball of filler to pea size of hardner. This sets in about 15 minutes, after which you can start sanding. Started with 80 grit to remove the largest parts (used quite alot to I could get the perfect shape) - then jumping to 240 for the next stage and then a final going over with some 600 to really smoothen it out.

Only done the far left hand side so far - the remaining two bits are quite a big job and I dont want to be stressing about time over such a job. Still got some final touches to do to the left hand side - looks messy because there isnt a primer coat over it yet.

filler1.jpg

filler2.jpg

So we are getting there... It's a long process but god it's worth it :D

• 1 month later...

Why does everybody have much nicer cars than me?! :(

I have a bog standard Fiat Punto 1.2 5 door, woo... It is actually quite fun to rev the nuts off it and chuck it around.

Funny to think that underneath all that bodywork though, that Capri is still just a 1.6 :lol:

IMHO It may be a better idea to keep all the fancy stuff for a bigger engined example, and perhaps restore the 1.6 to original spec, see if you can make a profit on it. But what do I know...

I'm guessing with those insurance costs the car isn't old enough to qualify for classic car insurance.