We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Internet Speed

jbenekeorr

Hi, I know there's been a lot of 'hoo ha' about people not getting the internet speed they are promised.

Now for my moan - I am on Tiscali UP TO 8 Megabit Broadband but as usual I dont get that .. I have just done a speed test to see that it is truly appaling. Obviously It is needed for games like TDU so I dont lag terribly.

268152279.png

Could anyone else tell me how theirs is doing in relation to the speed they COULD get?

EDIT:: I just did another and it's even worse!!

268158118.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I'm up to 16mb with sky, I ran the BT line test and it appears to be that my phone line is crap, hence why i only get 1-2mb, similar speeds to you. I could go Virgin on the fibre optics which would mean I could have 20Mb but it costs a bit too much for me. Check the line test I linked above to see if its your line that limits you. If you know the landlines of anyone else in your road try them too, as some people on my street come out as 4MB where as I'm only 2MB.

@ Iced, have you adjusted the settings on the site or do you really download at 4.2MB a second? (40MB Connection) I'm guessing you get 420Kb/s. (4MB connection)

It might be displaying in bits not bytes or some shizz, Or you could just be rich and live in a good area. Meh I dunno this nonsense confuses me.

@ Iced, have you adjusted the settings on the site or do you really download at 4.2MB a second? (40MB Connection) I'm guessing you get 420Kb/s. (4MB connection)

It might be displaying in bits not bytes or some shizz, Or you could just be rich and live in a good area. Meh I dunno this nonsense confuses me.

What Settings?

What Settings?

They way it displays it, I remember my brother using that site and trying to tell me we had a 20MB connection when we really really don't. In options you can change it, after you run the test perhaps. I cant remember exactly. (Yea I'm useful huh?)

Or like I said it could be fine and you just have a -super- connection.

...anyway we don't need everyone showing of how fast their net goes, back on topic.. the internet sucks in my area and obviously his too.

EDIT: Yea once you have run the test, click the see my previous test and change site preferences text that is to the right, click download, and change units to kilobytes not kilobits.

268178769.png

*sigh* one day maybe I will pay for Virgin, lol.

And whoa, jbenekeorr. Now you have changed the units.... damn. Has it always been that slow? I think you should call Tiscali.

@ ScaR they are still pretty nice speeds to be honest. Something that has bugged me a lot, my download is like 200kB, yet my upload is 77kB. It's always been this way. Means I don't lag on LIVE I suppose.

It seems to be some confusion about this. When you download of the internet most website say their file is in Kilobytes when in fact it isn't, it is in Kilobits.

There are 8 Kilobits(Kb) in a Kilobyte(KB). So there is a huge difference and most people tend to measure in Kilobits as it is more accurate. The same goes for Megabits(Mb) and Megabytes(MB)

The most important things for gaming is the ping(lower the better) and the upload(higher the better). when playing, the best thing to do is make sure you have about 50Kb/s per person that you connect to and vise versa and there should be no lag.

Hope that helped you and didn't confuse you more.

May as well post mine. We are paying for the upto 20MB connection which should give us upto 20,480Kb/s download and upto 1,638Kb/s upload but O2 seem to of gone a bit wrong and took the limit of our line.

UK

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm305/Mellors_08/speedpost.jpg

Australia

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm305/Mellors_08/perth.jpg

268445455.png[/url]

That's my school line!!! 8Mb with Mozilla Firefox with the Fasterfox addon.

I'll add my connection when my Internet gets fixed, its a 20Mb Virgin broadband.. :twisted:

I wanna get 1 150M Ethernet cable and connect it to my school because last time i looked there upload and download speeds were about 10Mb/s, not that mine needs improving anyway

notice the second one has better download yet slower upload?

This is because your connection speeds are always changing, they never stay the same. I could go into detail why but you would just fall to sleep reading it so I won't.