We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

New PC questions

khevolution

hey its another one of those " what do you think of my pc specs threads" (groans), but seriously coming from a complete PC n00b your opinions would be appreciated

now seeing as my last PC has just died on my after owning it for about 6 years i've decided to buy a new one

here is some spec of the one i've just bought just wanting your opinions on whether it will be good for my extensive music/photo/video collection, general internet browsing with the odd couple of games thrown in as well ( all to highest spec of course)

Proseccor

E8500 Core 2 Duo Processor (3.16GHz, 6MB, 1333MHz)

Memory

4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]

Video Card

512MB ATI® Radeon® 3870 Graphics card

Hard Drive

500GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA/100 Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache

Microsoft Operating System

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English

CD/DVD Drives

DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)

Sound Cards

Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio

TV Tuner and Remote Control

TV Tuner and AVIO / Accellerator

Isn't Vista supposed to be going to be no more soon?

Why go ATI btw? Just curious as Nvidia are so much better!

All the other things look good though ;)

The PC he is getting couldn't have nvidia and im on my computer that I just built and I have only had 1 problem woop woop

Guest RB26DETT

OMG!!! E8500!!!! sweet rig khevo! :eek_blue:

i give it a 9/10! ;)

-1 because of ATi. :p

*awaits Randy to whack me in the head...*

that looks good apart from vista but thats always the letdown - microsoft- whats the price of that then?

Vista is much more stable than XP from my experiences, it's never once crashed on me, and is much easier to use than XP

Isn't Vista supposed to be going to be no more soon?

No, Microsoft is sticking with Vista, people are buying it. Windows Seven appears to be coming out quicker than expected though.

OMG!!! E8500!!!! sweet rig khevo! :eek_blue:

i give it a 9/10! ;)

-1 because of ATi. :p

*awaits Randy to whack me in the head...*

I don't understand graphics cards, so I stay out of the ATi/nVidia row. But I'll never miss a chance to hit you :D *uber-whack*

BTW, khevo - make sure you get the right type of RAM (probably GDDR3 or GDDR4) on your graphics cars, ATi have a nasty habit of doing loads of different versions of a card with exactly the same name

Guest RB26DETT

randy's right about the memory. get the gddr4 if possible.

isn't windows seven the codename for vienna? anyway, it's still the upcoming one. 2009 me thinks??? iono...

*smacks randy just for the heck of it.* :P

isn't windows seven the codename for vienna? anyway, it's still the upcoming one. 2009 me thinks??? iono...

Nobody really knows what it's going to be called yet, but yes, the internal codename for the next version of Windows is 'Seven'. It was originally a lot later (around 2012, me thinks), but it has been brought forward a couple of years due to the bad response to Vista. I can't imagine it being next year, I'd say closer to 2010.

*smacks randy just for the heck of it.* :P

Bah! *rummages around for baseball bat*

Guest RB26DETT

i read on the internet somewhere. 2009-2011 may be the release date iirc from what i read.

no you dont! "goes to the garage, hops in the car, drives all the way to the UK to run over Randy.*

i read on the internet somewhere. 2009-2011 may be the release date iirc from what i read.

Ya, that would be about right :)

no you dont! "goes to the garage, hops in the car, drives all the way to the UK to run over Randy.*

:eek: halp meh someone

Guest RB26DETT

there are a couple on wikipedia from the beta testing. only a few new features mentioned though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

from another forum. really familiar to vista.

http://forums.it-suite.net/index.php/topic,210.0.html

possible screenshots??? i like these ones though

http://apcmag.com/inside_windows_7__what_we_know_so_far.htm

there are a couple on wikipedia from the beta testing. only a few new features mentioned though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

Usually Wikipedia ain't that bad, but I deffo wouldn't believe on this...

from another forum. really familiar to vista.

http://forums.it-suite.net/index.php/topic,210.0.html

They're the ones, remember it's only early days so there won't be many visual changes.

More here - [link] [link]

possible screenshots??? i like these ones though

http://apcmag.com/inside_windows_7__what_we_know_so_far.htm

Bah, that's a load of mockups in Photoshop.

Overall, pretty good, it certainly will hold out for a couple of years without any additional stuff.

Processor: I wouldn't have got that one, personally I would have gone for the Intel Q6600 (2.4GHz, Quad Core). There aren't any compatibility issues (some people have thought that), and you get in effect 4 processors instead of 2 (even though the dual core ones have more power (3.16GHz), there are only 2 of them meaning total you get more from the Quad).

RAM: 4GB: Futureproof for ages to go yet. That will be the last thing you need to replace.

GFX: ATI is a different way to go with nVidia dominating atm, but it will do well. I would have gone with an nVidia 8800GT, as they are coming down in price, will do just as well, and love to be overclocked.

The Rest: All fine, I would be happy with Vista, so don't worry.

Overall, pretty good, it certainly will hold out for a couple of years without any additional stuff.

Processor: I wouldn't have got that one, personally I would have gone for the Intel Q6600 (2.4GHz, Quad Core). There aren't any compatibility issues (some people have thought that), and you get in effect 4 processors instead of 2 (even though the dual core ones have more power (3.16GHz), there are only 2 of them meaning total you get more from the Quad).

RAM: 4GB: Futureproof for ages to go yet. That will be the last thing you need to replace.

GFX: ATI is a different way to go with nVidia dominating atm, but it will do well. I would have gone with an nVidia 8800GT, as they are coming down in price, will do just as well, and love to be overclocked.

The Rest: All fine, I would be happy with Vista, so don't worry.

cheers for all you reply's no matter how off topic. might upgrade the graphics card later on in its life, but for now i can't wait for it all to be delieved