We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

End of the world tomorrow?

CarMadMike

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All science points towards the answer being no. We've done this before on a smaller scale in the US, its just a large step up. There is a risk in everything, but for this it is tiny. As someone who is interested in how the world works and how everything fits together in such complicated simplicity, I'm going to find the next few years should be very interesting. :) If we die because of it I don't think we'll know :)

I wonder if people have bet on it actually ending. It always happens, which confusses me, because if you win you don't know about it and also, can't spend your winnings :-/

Also, I wonder if I ring them up and ask them to postpone it to firday, they'll do so :p Can't miss Billie Piper thursday night now can I? xD

I posted about the Grid system they are using to collect the data in this thread http://forum.turboduck.net/showthread.php?t=3683&highlight=grid.

As to my views it'll be a big success or a huge balls up, and as some say we might not know what the cause of it is for a few years.

This is also an ongoing thing it wont be a case of turn it on play for a few hours and thats it, it will be running for loads of years to come. Iirc they reckon in a year they will have enough data to fill at least 56m CD's. thats why they invented the grid.

And by the way the bloke who is pushing the button is from south wales and 20 countries including Britain have put money in to do it. Total cost is about £4.4billion.

It will change the world or end it, all I know as soon as I hear its gone wrong I'm going straight home

Even if there are chances of this happening I very doubt it, this is just my opinion since the people who do think something will go wrong is just doubts and worries from watching Sci Fi films etc.. :)

If anything does go wrong it's because the Welsh man said before he pushes the button, " Don't worry mun, what's the worst that can happen! " ;) I'm from South Wales, wonder if I know him :D

Well I guess we'll soon find out ...

I for one don't think it'll cause the end of the world ... but then I'm not a partical physisist (or however many eyes and esses i need there)

there was a programme about it on BBC4 the other night (how cultured am i?)

and the most interesting thing that all the scientists talked about on the programme was what if they don't find the Higgs boson, otherwise known as the God Particle ... now THAT would open a hell of a lot of questions about physics and the uiniverse we live in

here's hoping we can write on the forum tomorrow night !

I was talking about this with a few of my friends from college.

More random stuff about how the world would go under, if it did. Stupid stuff that doesn't really have any meaning.

There are alot of people on the internet who seem very worried about it, I think they think they know more than the Scientists carrying out the task.

It will be interesting to see what happens though.

This Image Reminds me of Terminator 3 Rise Against The Machines :)

_45002107_-1.jpg

Resource

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm

+

Another thing of this matter, I think the machine will malfunction and will not work and do nothing and will either take another 5 years to rebuild or they don't bother putting anymore money into the machine and leave it.

Or they press the button and nothing happens ;)