We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Nodz86

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why were they on Fifth Gear's test track?

Because it's called Millbrook Proving Ground (been there a 'few' times for work) ... which is one of the 2 main testing facilities for cars etc in the UK, the other being MIRA.

Fifth Gear just use it for filming ... they used to use the Ace Cafe in London but then decided they needed to copy Top Gear once again and so started filming from the 'hospitality suite' at Millbrook

And I think you'll find that the 'traffic' was all staged!

And I think you'll find that the 'traffic' was all staged!

Quite fitting for modern Top Gear then. Seriously wish they dropped the scripts. Sooo boring when you can guess what they are going to say, also notice how fast they think of grade A combacks to each other? Sometimes even starting the comeback before the original statement is made.

Having said that, Faulty Towers was all scripted and is funny even today. =]

Nipper;119630']Quite fitting for modern Top Gear then. Seriously wish they dropped the scripts. Sooo boring when you can guess what they are going to say, also notice how fast they think of grade A combacks to each other? Sometimes even starting the comeback before the original statement is made.

Having said that, Faulty Towers was all scripted and is funny even today. =]

It would be rubbish without a script, nothing that's funny would really ever be said or done.

Nipper ... just sit back and enjoy the programme for what it is, great entertainment.

It was pretty obvious the Clarksons lorry was going to catch fire the moment they showed you he was transporting some hay and a bar heater ... but it still made me laugh when it did.

Comedy is all about the build up to the punchline

Episode 2:

Starting off with the Fiat. This review lacked a little something. Only a little bit - but it reminds me of why Top gear don't do small/affordable car reviews anymore because (are you listening you idiots who whine that there aren't enough factual reviews in the show, because I'm only going to say this once...) they aren't very good at them anymore. The LP560-4 is all well and good, because its what Top Gear do, but the 500 just felt a little too small for this big time show (if you get what I mean). An OK review it was, but it did feel a bit too much like Fifth Gear for some reason.

The American Muscle cars however were much better. Introducing what TG is all about - mucking about while trying to look intelligent. I must say it felt much more factual than normal - and I don't mean that in a bad way... They really did portray the 3 cars as proper, brash, fun supercars.

For the first time in my life, I actually want a Corvette, a Challenger, or a Cadillac (I've always been a Viper and Charger boy). And to add insult to my injury - I actually want to go to America! (Well, only the large expanse of desert bit. I like my being alone).

It was however, entertaining. Brilliantly entertaining. I'm afraid they will have to be chased and killed by Bruce Willis. There usually is a certain let down feeling after one of these huge films that takes up almost the whole show (the specials are fine, because they are supposed to be specially long) - During the show its all brilliant, then when it ends, you feel as if you went to London's new year celebrations, then they set off five of the biggest fireworks in the world, then told you that was it and to go home... However this did not feel like this. It felt much more complete and fun. I was left with no urge for more afterwards.

And on the salt flats - there was a moment of rawness - a moment of the sense that this bit wasn't entirely set up filming wise (when they all recieved their winning speeds). I liked it a lot. As did I Jeremys awesome drifting around the mountain roads.

I was wondering - who thinks that Richard actually DID buy that Challenger, and if so, what happened to it. The lack of any other reference to it lead me to believe that they just pretended that Chrysler didn't lend them one.

The news was OK. A bit short, and just a news section really. Not all the usual randomness that tends to turn up, and no surprises of any kind. Left me feeling (I hate using this word) empty.

About turn when the SIARPC comes on. I wasn't really looking forward to Will Young. Hes always been in the Pop Idol/XFactor/some other rubbish TV show limelight. But somehow they managed an enjoable interview that didn't end in me wanting to kill them all (what usually happens when I see Will Young). And I would just like to say that there are actually 2 people who watch all the reruns on Dave - I do too!!!

Overall, it was let down at the start a bit, but picked up from then on. It didn't leave me hanging at the end, surprised me throughout, and gave me a chance to perhaps change my ways. Although if you put the two in front of me, I'd still have the Viper over the Corvette. 8/10.

Ahh the 2nd episode was pure joy! I new that there was no way in this world he could say anything bad about the new ZR1. It's just too fast and too amazing for Jeremy to deny. But him considering buying one really suprised me. And buying the Challenger surprised me too.

"Oh sorry sorry you know, my foot, it slipped off the clutch" lol pure joy!

What I want is a good ol' shootout on the track... The Challenger (Hammond) vs XKR (JC) vs Daihatsu Copen (James)... Remember the news segment during the caravan holiday episode in season 8?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Top-Gear-Season-8-Episode_179659.htm

skip to the 12min point

Haha they were fighting over the Dodge Challenger and Hammond actually said "I'll buy one when it comes out."

LOL!

That new Toyota. Hmm...I don't think it'll become popular. I'd be surprised if they sold more than 5 in this country, a least ones that didn't go straight into museums. Its a japanese thing, thats for sure. Not a 'youthful' thing. I think companies need to concentrate more on - and I know this sounds stupid, but - cars. Pretty informative, with an amusing 'interview'. Maybe the success of last week's 'factual' performance has changed them a bit...

The news, well a good one again. Amusing comments on the Dacia '4x4 even though its not actually called a Dacia because it has a Renault badge on it, but we know that and are ignoring it for the purpose of this example of a new car' Sandaro, however again not that much actual news. The V8 blender was a hilarious interval to a section of seriousness. The Man juice: AKA The Bloody Awful!! :lol: And when are they going to do the Cool Wall again???

The SIARPC was OK, but I felt that Mark Wahlberg swore a little too much (I mean its a bit low as such...), but still an OK intervew none the less. I would've liked to see some of his offs though - shame.

The Finnish driving section was certainly an interesting insight into another culture, but also it just adds to my depression. Their driving test consists of drifting, and even then you get kids (the one on the show looked what, 12?) having more fun then ever. But anyway. Nice to see James succeeding in being a fast[er] driver again. I loved Mika's intro too. Damn retired bloke! The race looked brilliant fun, and a brilliant way of doing motorsport - keeping it even by the selling/buying rule.

The Avantime saw another excellent ending to a show. I've also always loved it's quirkyness, and how it seems awkward, but not weird. Their modifications certainly seemed interesting... most of them being good ideas too, except for the spoiler and splitter. Sounded pretty awesome too! The end result was still pretty good, despite failing to reach a damn ambitious target. And why didn't they note they had been ambitious but rubbish? :p

Overall I think its a huge improvement on the shows where they have one huge film filling the show (even though they are brilliant). A wonderful range of ideas and pieces today. 9/10.