We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Is the Mini brand finally dead?

Is the Mini brand finally dead? that is a question asked by many, and is now a question for you to answer.

BMW/Mini has recently announced the Crossover Concept, the biggest 'Mini' ever, along with all the other new models, i think 'Mini' is a bit of an exaggeration...Lets take a look at recent models.

All sources from Topgear.com/uk

The Crossover Concept

Large%20Image.jpg?p=080917_12:53

10 September 2008 - 11:00

Not-so-Mini

Rumours of a Mini SUV have been knocking around for, ooh, years now. It may be anathema to some, but if you had any doubt that a 4x4 Mini was in the pipeline, here's proof - the Mini Crossover Concept set to debut in Paris early next month.

Before we take a look around the standard concept trickery, here's the big news: This is going to reach production. Definitely.

OK, some of the glitzier bits might not make it, but - like it or not - a four-door, four-wheel drive Mini is happening.

'Mini', however, is a bit of an ambitious claim. At over four metres in length - more Focus size than Fiesta - and 1.6 metres high, the Crossover Concept ain't small.

Despite the size, though, it's a strict four-seater - the two rear chairs are separated by a centre rail to which, Mini asserts, you can attach 'cupholders, storage units and entertainment consoles'.

Or, bizarrely, a bespoke set of dishes and cups, created by German potters Porzellan Manufaktur exclusively for the Concept Crossover. We predict breakage issues.

Equally strange is the Crossover's door arrangement, which puts the mildly odd single suicide approach from the Clubman to shame.

Three of the doors open in the normal fashion, but the rear drivers-side door is a Peugeot 1007-style sliding effort.

There's also a side-hinged boot featuring a retractable window, and a folding roof which extends the length of the car. Simple, eh?

Unusually, there's no mention of what powertrain the Crossover will use, or how the four-wheel drive system might work. Efficient diesels would seem likely, but given Mini's penchant for the wacky (sorry, the 'wacky') it could well be fuelled by whimsy and bonhomie.

No doubt all will become clear in Paris.

The Mini Clubman

Large%20Image.jpg?p=080721_04:42

30 July 2007 - 11:00

New Clubman is as ugly as 60s version shock!

We're still in shock.

Hitting the streets in three engine variants (D, Cooper and Cooper S - there will be no base 'One'), the Clubman is basically a miniature estate for people with very small livestock to transport.

It boasts 8cm more legroom for the three rear passengers (it's now a five-seater if you so wish) and 260-litres of bootspace with the seats in place - which is still pretty bad despite the Clubman being some 24cm longer than the hatch and some 2cm higher.

We've yet to see the car in the metal, but the whole 'modern re-interpretation' schtick is also slightly wearing. The two-piece split rear doors for instance, need a pair of both windscreen wipers and door handles - meaning that the two-tone rear is looks cluttered.

Oh yeah, that two tone rear; best opt for solid colours all round, the Clubman's C-pillars and back bumper can be painted either silver or black, the roof can be silver, black or body colour and that there are 12 colours to choose from, so expect the fashion police to be working overtime.

It gets, er, better. The new 'Clubdoor' appears only on one side of the car and is a kind of half-suicide arrangement that opens from the inside only. Unfortunately for the 'British' Mini, it's on the right-hand side of the car, so opens into traffic - presumably put there for the LHD markets. Also, from pictures TG.com have seen, the Clubdoor hangs the front seatbelt out of the door at ankle-tripping height...

So there are less successful bits of this new variant. But at least the hardware should stand up to scrutiny - Mini assure us that the Clubman will not compromise the Mini's 'revered driving dynamics'. We will also see the Clubman get Stop/Start, brake regeneration and GPI (Gearshift Point Indicator) to help make the most of every litre of fuel - let's just hope they use it to park the things backwards.

The Mini Traveller

Large%20Image.jpg?p=081022_12:28

10 January 2006 - 13:00

Mini Traveller is on its way

BMW has confirmed it will build a Mini Traveller.

The new estate version of the Mini will be based on the next generation model and be on sale within the next three years.

Mini is keeping quiet on details, but the company hints that its recent Traveller concept show cars have inspired many features that will make it into production, either as standard details or as options to personalise the car.

Is this truely the end of the Mini as we know it?

I hope Mini would just die. I'm in love with the old Austin Minis, but these fugly BMW pieces of junk are terrible. They're fugly, they don't sound nice, they aren't overly quick, and they boast a price tag you could find yourself with a Mercedes C180 Kompressor with. AND they're not even small.

EDIT: 1111 Posts :p.

The problem is people are buying them still.

Until that stops BMW will keep producing the turd and continue violating a piece of English history.

I guess a lot of people are buying them for a pop factor, or because they are a "Mini", even though they aren't anymore, they're just a deformed BMW.

And it just shows even more how much the English motor industry has died. The ONLY bit of motoring that is English we have still is Lotus :(.

erm you might want to check on whos engines Lotus use aswell !

No one is truely from one country these days anyway as lots of parts will be built by suppliers, and also there aren't that many independant companies these days ... for example

Electrics - Bosch or Siemens - both German

Brakes - Brembo - Italian

Seats - Sparco - Italian

and that's just the tip of the iceberg

so back OT

There's only one Mini and that was made by Austin/BL/Rover

The BMW thing was never a Mini ... it was a car with styling cues from the Mini but it was never a Mini

but then you all knew I was going to make those sort of comments!

I think whatever BMW do, they're gonna be slated. The new MINI is a pretty awesome car - BUT it's not really any tribute to the Austin MINI. Look at it as a totally different car, and it's not bad.

However, had BMW bothered to brand it as something different (maybe even use this as the 1 series), they would have been bashed for making an obvious remake of the MINI.

The clubman's okay IMO, I don't see why eveyone hates it... But that crossover is weird and just plain fugly.

The new mini is awesome :D the quality is very good, it drives like a kart, and if you want to sell it you get a lott off money back. The Clubman is a bit funny, its expensiver than the normal mini but the interior space isnt bigger. And you've got only 1 suicide door. But you've got some more space in the back for stuff.

erm you might want to check on whos engines Lotus use aswell !

Lotus have always made their own engines, but usually used Ford bottom ends, and they still do make their own engines. The only car they don't have their own engine in is the US-spec Lotus Elise, which uses a Toyota engine only to pass US emissions laws. But you're right, no company really uses their own countries/companies parts anymore.

Lotus have always made their own engines, but usually used Ford bottom ends, and they still do make their own engines. The only car they don't have their own engine in is the US-spec Lotus Elise, which uses a Toyota engine only to pass US emissions laws. But you're right, no company really uses their own countries/companies parts anymore.

Well you implied that Lotus's have always been 100% Lotus ... I was just pointing out that they aren't ... I wasn't implying Lotus have always used someone elses engines ... just that on some models these days they are ... Oh and the Toyota Engines are available in UK spec cars too ... I think you'll find it was partly for Euro IV emissions and partly as engine development costs a lot of money so it's cheaper to buy and engine in and possibly tweak it if you have the time / money

Oh and sharing Blocks is even more common ... the bottom end of my engine is from a GM ! ... but then so is the front end structure of the body!!!!!

Trust me I know a 'little' about the car industry!