We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

F1 2009: Melbourne

Car Freak

Since GP weekend has started, I'd like to take the liberty of starting the first thread for the 2009 F1 season.

Practice times are in, and I must admit, I'm quite disappointed by Hamilton's poor placing on the leaderboard. Hot-shot talent who doesn't have experience and can't develop a car properly? I do hope not, but we'll see.

On the other hand though, Brawn GP, who have been marked bookies' favourite, put in the expected strong showing, though how much that was down to their controversial "diffuser" is yet to be seen.

Interestingly, in the 2nd practice session, a Force India was ahead of both Ferraris! :eek2: This should prove to be a very interesting season ahead, I can assure you that

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7967203.stm

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate how to please the Europeans we were forced to run a Twilight Grand prix just so they don't have to stay up late to watch it:mad:

And even worse if we wanna keep the Grand Prix any longer we have to run it at night next year. :mad::mad::mad:

So I really couldnt give a crap about the grand prix at the moment. I'm only gonna watch the V8 Supercars race at Melbourne not the F1.

OK firstly may I take my hat off to Shadow for systematically destroying everything I've asked for any having a pointless rant in the second post in the new F1 section ... thank you for reading my previous requests.

As to the content of you're post ... well being a "European" (actually I say I'm British but lets not go into that) I don't mind when races are as I'm that into F1 I'll get up to watch it live whatever the time !

But back OT ...

Well the boys with the legal illegal rear diffuser/crash boxes are up front ... as they're on the Williams, Brawns and Toyotas ... As to McLarens poor performance ... looks like they might need to go back to the drawing board ... and you have to blame the whole team for the cars performance not just one driver ... as the team, including 3 drivers, develops a car ... one of the best test drivers in recent history is DC !

looks like the diffuser may be working ... which if it's declared legal after the full hearing in a couple of weeks could be a big problem for Red Bull as it won't fit on their car due to their rear suspension

but I don't think we can make too many comments till after Quali ...

Oh I might not comment on the race quickly ... might be busy :)

Oh and can people please be aware that we CAN post results in these threads as soon as it's happened ... so if you're going to wait till 1pm UK time to watch the race don't read this thread/section

Oh don't forget summer time starts on sunday !

We're looking at making a result thread. And you might be busy in the early hours of the morning? Interesting haha.

And remember, no ranting, i wont comment on the F1 stuff as it doesn't interest me, but i will be keeping an eye on it.

1. it's free practice so sometimes not a full representation of race pace

2. you'll notice Williams, Toyota and Brawn at the top ... with their diffuser style

3. Ferrari obviously are lacking pace as the cars are COMPLETELY different to last year

4. Surely you should correct your statement and say that McLaren and Renault and BMW are also struggling ... as well as obviously your beloved Ferrari

5. I QUIT this thread/section

I hate how to please the Europeans we were forced to run a Twilight Grand prix just so they don't have to stay up late to watch it:mad:

And even worse if we wanna keep the Grand Prix any longer we have to run it at night next year. :mad::mad::mad:

So I really couldnt give a crap about the grand prix at the moment. I'm only gonna watch the V8 Supercars race at Melbourne not the F1.

No, we don't have to stay up late to watch it, we have to get up early to watch it (live) =) Which I will be doing! There's a re-run at 1pm.

Great not even a day in and we've lost a big F1 fan from posting in the threads, joy.

Anyways we wont know for 2 weeks how the outcomes of the 1st few races will be, so thats a bit of a farce. and as hybrid has mention Red Bull will be stuffed if it is legal.

Also Mr DC is reserve driver for red bull for the 1st 2 races as their other reserve driver didn't get his super licence

I'm too a get up at anytime fan.

The first race is going to be a lot of fun if they keep their front wings after the first few corners. Is nice to see top teams on their back foot for a change and at least the first few races will be full of unpredictability. This is good for F1 and the fans I just pray the new aero works to make more overtaking and wheel to wheel racing.

And remember, no ranting, i wont comment on the F1 stuff as it doesn't interest me, but i will be keeping an eye on it.

It was not a rant, it was a legitimate post related to the Melbourne F1 Grand prix. You may not be aware but we didn't choose to hold this at Twilight, WE WERE FORCED! If we didn't hold it when the F1 commity said so, we would lose the grand prix contract. I'm just peeved we didn't get a say in the matter.

5pm twilight :confused:

Thats early evening and with it being summer time its still day time at that time (how many times can I say time in a sentence :lol: )

Twilight would be a race that starts at 10pm on wards till about 4am in the morning. It also appears they are doing your end of the world first so most of the races are on at a more reasonable hour for you rather than us then it changes as the races move to Europe. So I cannot really see what you are moaning about.

Offtopic: I don't care what time's the Singapore leg gonna be on the Tele because i'm most probably gonna be there again! thrst

OnTopic: Looks like that stupid diffuser thingy's really showing a difference in times. Quite anxious to find out the podium winners

I've just been told that we are to delete any posts in any of the F1 threads that go off topic or are likely to cause an argument. That means that a few posts would've been deleted already.

Anymore posts like that will be replaced with this...

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

If you see any troublesome posts, please use the report (report.gif) button rather than getting involved yourself.

I would just like to point out that I haven't posted in this thread yet until now ....

Should be interesting ...... I've got a funny feeling that Kubica will win and something tells me BMW are gonna pull the biggest surprise this year and absolutely take control of the championship I have a feeling ..... *puts bet on BMW to win constructors championship*

Still I suspect overtaking will still be a rare occurance ....

it's a shame Honda quit really, being as the brawns are doing so well, they could have made some hefty cash off it all if they'd have kept it as their own team.

i'm hoping red bull do well, it looks like they have a fighting chance of regular podium finishes, and if the diffuser becomes illegal then they'll just eat everything else, look at Webber's Red bull compared to the nearest non-diffuser car. (Incidentally, another red bull) and you can see how well the team is kitted out, i mean, 6 places above Ferrari is something not to be sniffed at.

Good race! Good race!

Brilliant from Button and Barrichello and Trulli and Hamilton! Plus, quite a lot of action went on which was good for a race. First half was a bit dull, but second half was brill!

Loving the new cars. Loving the new BBC features. Loving the lack of adverts. Not loving the new commentators so much. But hey, I'll get used to it.

Loving the lack of no adverts?

Anyway, epic race. Like Iced said, not so good first half, stunning second half. I think Hamilton is VERY lucky to have been able to make the 14 places, especially in the light of his car's lack of performance.

Vettel's and Kubica's last min shocker though, well what were they thinking? I mean it was brilliant for the spectators, but as a driver they should know better than to lunge like that, or at least back off for the next few corners. Must say though, was very funny seeing Vettel on 3 wheels holding everyone else back during the safety car period. Would he have been allowed to finish the race on 3 wheels though?

Anyways, congrats to Brawn GP, and to commemorate their win, here's something I've been working on since yesterday (it's still a WIP though) :

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/1carfreak1/NFS%20ProStreet/nfsProStreet051.jpg

:D