We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Help! I'm becoming a Brit!

Immelmann

Well, the main idea of the thread was to find out about the place, as you all seem to be from the UK. We're thinking the UK will be a more interesting vacation place than Norway or something, so yes. Do you think it would be a good place to vacation? Why or why not?

Oh, and about the title, I seem to be turning into a Brit. I rarely listen to anything but the Kaiser Chiefs or Franz Ferdinand, I watch British TV, the only podcast I subscribe to is Scott Mills, and I try only to listen to Radio 1.

My ex-Ka driving (hehe) English tech teacher says I shouldn't know what any of the aforementioned things are. :p

I trust it is at least good for a car person ;)

You want to visit eh. Be prepared for the hostile reception you'll receive when you go anywhere. TBH, if it wasn't for the fact that I lived here I don't think I'd come here.

Diablo's a Scott.

Still a Brit.

You want to visit eh. Be prepared for the hostile reception you'll receive when you go anywhere. TBH, if it wasn't for the fact that I lived here I don't think I'd come here.

Still a Brit.

Well, it's actually normal to not like your country sometimes. When living there you can see the problems and the bad things. When you're from another country, all you think about is the joy and the good vacation. ;)

And yes, Justin, the UK includes England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. :)

Guest RB26DETT

Still a Brit.

So Brit is a term to call people from the UK in general? I always though only from Englandland. :cheeky:

And yes, Justin, the UK includes England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. :)

I know that.

So Brit is a term to call people from the UK in general? I always though only from Englandland. :cheeky:

A Brit is anyone from Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales & N. Ireland) :)

I'm English, but I'm also British.

I'm a Brit. Always have been, but as part of me enjoys it, part of me wishes I wasn't. As a nation, we're a bit of a failure. The intelligent community are in good supply, but turn it to night and all the students will have a fight. Take that recent poll or European youth culture and education for example, out of 29 countries we came 24th. The Netherlands came top, with all the Scandinavian countries closely following. Norway came third. (Link)

I'll be honest, the only parts of Britain I would want to visit are Cornwall, Scotland and the Isle Of Man. I've been to Cornwall a few times (last year, for example), and to Scotland a few less times, and I'm going to the Isle Of Man this year. And unless you come in the heat of summer, they are all horrible. But parts of them are beautiful - mountains in Scotland and the IoM, and cold beaches and landscapes in Cornwall (really there isn't much else, and don't deny it Loz!).

I don't see the point in the big cities - I especially don't get the hype about London. Probably because I've lived a 30min train journey outside of it for my whole life, so I've been loads (we have school trips to places there :p). And I don't care for Birmingham or Manchester - too far away for absolutely nothing I can't get in London.

I would love to go and live somewhere like Norway or Dutchland - the only problem is the language barrier. I am English, and speak only English. Thats one of the things the UK was put down for - we never learn foreign languages. So for us moving to a new country only really comes with either a job re-location or for retirement. Living somewhere in Northern Europe would be great, but I would have move away from everything - family, friends, a job, the concept of understanding people completely. For the benefit of what? Better scenery, maybe a better life, maybe a foreign partner.

And there in that last paragraph have I summed up exactly the point. The weather sucks most of the time, the jobs are going thick and fast, immigration is immense, the chav nature has given a lot of the country hugely bad press and we're running out of space. But no-one ever moves because we cannot be arsed. We'd rather just go down the pub, because, you know, its easier.

I hate Britain, and would love to go live somewhere like Norway, but I would hate to leave Britain. Thinking of coming on holiday to Britain? Don't bother - go to somewhere nice instead.

/rant.

And there in that last paragraph have I summed up exactly the point. The weather sucks most of the time, the jobs are going thick and fast, immigration is immense, the chav nature has given a lot of the country hugely bad press and we're running out of space. But no-one ever moves because we cannot be arsed. We'd rather just go down the pub, because, you know, its easier.

I hate Britain, and would love to go live somewhere like Norway, but I would hate to leave Britain. Thinking of coming on holiday to Britain? Don't bother - go to somewhere nice instead.

I agree with you there, most of that is half the reason why i actually moved to france. Britain just isnt a nice place to live.

A Brit is anyone from Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales & N. Ireland) :)

I'm English, but I'm also British.

Residents of Scotland call themselves Scottish

Residents of N. Ireland call themselves Irish

Residents of Wales call themselves Welsh

and guess what ....

Residents of England call themselves British, we're nearly (not fully) always too ashamed to call ourselves English for being affraid we insult the other members of GB/UK. It's stupid!

Residents of Scotland call themselves Scottish

Residents of N. Ireland call themselves Irish

Residents of Wales call themselves Welsh

and guess what ....

Residents of England call themselves British, we're nearly (not fully) always too ashamed to call ourselves English for being affraid we insult the other members of GB/UK. It's stupid!

I think its more to do with who's doing well, in tennis we're British but F1 we're English :) Probably wrong but oh well, i'm sure the scots do it the other way round (i mean at the moment, i know there have been great scottish drivers, more than english probably).

As to places to vist, if you want a city, a tourist vist to London is probably greats, lots of good stuff there.

Sceneary, south west coast (jurassic coast down really), Lake or peak district, some areas in wales and scotland (no idea where) are suppose to be great aswell.

The bit of Manchester I went to was a bit of a hole, leicester strangly was very nice, dunno about a holiday though.

.... most of that is half the reason why i actually moved to france....
You moved to France with ur age of 15 :confused:

u actually mean ur parents moved to France ;).

Well, I think I know the reason why anybody moves to south France. Because he can! :D Who on Earth wouldn't live there!!:drool: