We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What To Get For My First Car

Brad_F430

Basically im 16 and looking for my first car for when im 17. I dont really want to spend more than £1000 (roughly $1500) because im only going to have it while i learn to drive and then for my remaining year or so at college then ill buy a good car so i was wondering what you all think i should get.

something like a 90's polo is a safe bet, or part of the VAG group anyway. as far as i know the 1.2 skoda fabia is insurance group 1! not bad considering it's a polo with a rubbish badge. wont have problems with it, that's for sure.

Normal bets are - Corsa (good bet), Saxo (don't crash), Ibiza (good bet, can get cheap), Fiesta (good bet), Punto (probably brake), Clio, Polo, Micra (very easy to drive, but new one very girly), 206 (terrible driving position), Ka, C2, C3, Yaris (rubbish)

Know lots of people with corsa, suppose to be very good and cheap to run. Very common so can get cheap. Know one person with a saxo, nice and lot to the ground so feel fun, clutch is suppose to be silly and footwell is cramped so not great if you have big feet. Also go in a 10 year old micra all the time, smooth, quite, good mpg, he just drives it unbelievably slowly!! Learned in a yaris, just don't go there :)

Normal bets are - Corsa (good bet), Saxo (don't crash), Ibiza (good bet, can get cheap), Fiesta (good bet), Clio, Polo, Ka.

Would have been what I suggested.

At the moment I'm learning to drive in a Mazda 323F. That's more than likely getting traded in for a new car such as a Ford Ka. I'm not kean on the looks of the new Ford Ka and it obviously isnt in your price range but there are possibly older shape ones floating about for £1k. I haven't looked.

I know plenty of people with Fiestas. I was going to get a Polo 1.4 CL myself. I'm not a fan of anything French, but I'm just biased, I know plenty of people with Peugeots and Renaults, no regrets from them so far.

And pricey to repair too

Don't break it ;)

Audi 80s drink too much no?

Probably, I don't pay attention to how much fuel goes into a car. For a beginner's car especially it doesn't matter since you won't be driving incredible distance.