We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

xYz, Microsofts' handheld?

Camel

Portable Xbox? Much more than that.

,Z-A-206038-3.jpg

Nintendo has the DS Lite and DSi. Sony has the PlayStation Portable. This leaves Microsoft sitting at the sidelines in the gaming handheld market – but according to an internet report, this won’t be for much longer.

TeamXbox has published an article that it had completed in January, but chose to hold back on it for various reasons. The information may be outdated, but it’s interesting to ponder nonetheless.

According to TeamXbox’s sources, Microsoft is working on some kind of mobile platform that meshes elements of the Xbox and Zune – earning the nickname some are calling it the “xYz.”

The Microsoft handheld is supposed to be “unlike anything on the market today … think of a mashup of the Sony Mylo, the PSP, and the iPhone… errr, the iPod Touch; [the MS handheld] doesn’t need access to a phone network.”

Zune phone? No, said the source. “Although the Microsoft handheld is definitely a converged device, this is not a Zune Phone.” The source added: “Microsoft won’t compete with its Windows Mobile customers.”

Apparently the device will make heavy use of Live Anywhere. “There will be a single online marketplace; the lines between the Zune, Xbox Live and Sky marketplaces will blur when the handheld launches.”

This could mean that one could purchase games and videos on Xbox Live Marketplace and later play and view those purchases on-the-go. Read the full story here.

It seems like a natural progression for Microsoft to try to break into the mobile sector with an all-powerful media device that’ll meld the Xbox and Zune online efforts. Perhaps we’ll find out more as E3 nears.

[/Quote]

Source

Should Microsoft/Zune enter the handheld market together?

I don't like the idea, never really been a fan of handhelds, and if they are trying to get into apples share then they will fail, the Ipod is a product that sells because it's so well done. Apart from the odd crash i've never really had any problems, or is that just me ...

The iPod sells because it is simply "the one to have". Everyone knows someone who had one and it does what it does well, so people trust the name. You have to remember the bulk buyers are not nerds and don't go on line to stat hunt, they buy what's well known and easy to use.

Microsoft, handheld. No thank you. Look at the size of the 360 controller, now add a screen and you have... a laptop.

No, the reason the i-pod is a sucess is that its not geeky. An Xbox you can hide at home and thoughs who want to can show off their gamertag thing everywhere, it works. With a handheld thing everyone can see and microsoft just don't have the image that apple and some extent playstation have. Zunes been a flop hasn't it? How would this work?

I don't like the idea, never really been a fan of handhelds, and if they are trying to get into apples share then they will fail, the Ipod is a product that sells because it's so well done. Apart from the odd crash i've never really had any problems, or is that just me ...

Not just you. :D I've had my iPod Touch for about 6 months and have literally had no problems with it at all. *Knocks on wood*

Fact is you really can't beat the iPod. Hopefully Microsoft won't try.

I don't think they can beat Apple, but if it has the strength of a DS(Its stronger than a PSP by far, not sure about iPod) and the functionality of the iTouch it would be a winner.

Every kid and elderly has a DS so no wonder that the DS is getting sold that much.

I dont think we should see Ipod Touch etc... as a really gaming device since it are simple mobile phone games. Its just like Ngage it are pretty good games but you cant compare it to a PSP

I wonder what the price would be from this Microsoft handheld