We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

StrickenHAWK?

It's running Eibach -35mm springs at the front for now. I've planned on lowering the rear aswell... And i might get some new shocks to get the car a little stiffer.

Thanx! I'll try to get some videos this summer, in this one tunnel in Monaco :lol:

There are guides on the internet on how to lower the rear and from what i understand it's not that difficult, but the torsion bars might be somewhat stuck if they haven't been touched before so it'll take some violence.

There are guides on the internet on how to lower the rear and from what i understand it's not that difficult, but the torsion bars might be somewhat stuck if they haven't been touched before so it'll take some violence.

Yeah i know. Thank god this one has a new rear axle that is just 1.5 years old so that shouldn't be to hard, i hope :lol:

these[/url] would look any good on my car? They're 18" Interlagos (mine are 16"). No idea where to get them from either.

Someone showed me these 17's from a Jetta and quoted $1250:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-b4PziRtK2MQ/T_gf62NxC0I/AAAAAAAAJns/YSY6bgPyirs/s800/20120707_115929.jpg

The first wheels would probably be nice - subtle yet different. However, watch out for a) the changes of wheel rotation (acceleration's going to be different with larger wheels, as they have the effect of gearing it up) and b) the change in ride height. The effect won't be as severe with the Golf, but you'll definitely get a huge wheel gap and huge ground clearance gap with those. Narrower tires would help that, as would lowering springs, but eventually you're paying a lot for a relatively small change. In short, you probably won't want to go higher than 17s.

But those Jetta wheels would be a really good look. :) Of course, it looks like that person's running lowering springs, so... :hmmm:

-Leadfoot

Guest MrLolololXD

In Australia it's illegal to change the wheels overall diameter from standard. So if you put 17's on a car that had 16's, to be legal you need a lower profile tyre. So you need to work that out first.

The 7.5 in the 17x7.5 sizing is the width of the rim. So 7.5 would mean the rim is 7.5 inches wide.

And 18's would be too big for a Golf imo, since it's a small car. The ride quality would drop dramatically with the downsize in tyre profile required.

I thought the size has to match what's supplied for OEM for any variation in the model.

i.e. a Golf 90TSI has 15" wheels, Golf 118TSI is 16", Golf GTI is 17" or 18" (optional), and Golf R is 18" or 19" (optional), so legally I could pick anywhere between 16-19.

The other stupid thing about ADRs is that since the Golf is treated as one model, the biggest wheels are the ones that must be at least 3kph/3% out (speedo compensation), which means my 16's are 8% out, and driving down the freeway doing 108kph is annoying when you have passengers in the back seat looking at the dash. I've connected to the onboard computer while driving and can see that the car knows the actual speed (although that's out by a more acceptable 2-3kph compared to GPS and advisory radar traps). You can only see this hidden speed by connecting a laptop or phone to the OBD2 port or by setting cruise control and then resetting the average speed data in the trip computer.

Guest MrLolololXD
damn you guys have some stupid laws over there, why aren't you allowed to change the diameter??

I honestly have no idea. Probably some craptard thinking people would use it as an excuse to get away with speeding. I think you are allowed to go a tiny bit higher, but you have to get your speedo recalibrated.

I thought the size has to match what's supplied for OEM for any variation in the model.

i.e. a Golf 90TSI has 15" wheels, Golf 118TSI is 16", Golf GTI is 17" or 18" (optional), and Golf R is 18" or 19" (optional), so legally I could pick anywhere between 16-19.

I worded it bad before :ytwh: Yeah you can, as long as the overall diameter of the rim + tyre don't exceed the the overall size of the 19's on the Golf R in this case. So in other words you can put 17's or 18's etc, aslong as with the tyres they aren't taller than the 19's on the Golf R. That still doesn't make much sense :mhmm:

If you put 18" rims on a car that had 16" before, you have to lower the tyre profile to suit. In other words, changing the size of the rims should have no impact on the height of the car itself. Only the thickness of the tyre sidewall.

Ok so going from 205/55/R16 to 17" would mean the tyre would have to be __/__/R17 (fill in the blanks)

Also how do I work out what my current offset is and then what offset I would need for a 17x7 or 17x7.5 rim?

Thanks

Guest MrLolololXD

This explains it better lol

And it appears you can go 15mm bigger in diameter :mhmm:

---------- Post added at 19:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 PM ----------

Ok so going from 205/55/R16 to 17" would mean the tyre would have to be __/__/R17 (fill in the blanks)

Also how do I work out what my current offset is and then what offset I would need for a 17x7 or 17x7.5 rim?

Thanks

205 is the width of the tyre in mm. So, since the tyre is 205mm wide, the 55 means the sidewall is 55% of that width, but in height, 112.75mm.

So to go from 16" to 17" while keeping the closest diameter to standard, the new tyre size would be 205/50/R17.

Also the offset should be in the owners manual somewhere. Otherwise you could probably find it online, to find out yourself you need to take the wheel off

EDIT: Actually going over those numbers I had a maths fail, it would be 205/50/R17 to keep the closest size :fp3:

If you put 18" rims on a car that had 16" before, you have to lower the tyre profile to suit.

lol, that's absolutely obvious...

I don't know what rims you have on your Wagen, but most 16" rims on VAG cars have 205/55 R16 (or 205/50, I don't remember exactly). Wheel arches are made to hold (don't know the right English term, sorry) 19" wheels, so there should be no rubbing issues on a non-lowered car.

7Jx17 and 8Jx17 wheels have 225/45 R17 tires according to Volkswagen DE and one wheel company we cooperate with.

6Jx16: ET (offset) 50

6,5Jx16: ET 42

7Jx16: ET 50

7Jx17 "Karthoum": ET 54

7,5Jx17 "Avignon": ET 54

7,5Jx17 "Goal": ET 50

Tire measures depend on each rims, but you can run on 225/45 R17 tires on 7Jx17 ET 35 as well as on 8Jx17 wheels.

I wouldn't be bothered with acceleration times. Your car is not a supersport and the difference between 16" or 18" will be in acceleration time small imo.

I personally like these rims, they're called Vision. 8Jx18 ET 50.

PS: We have a tire shop/ car service. I can ask my dad about your car.

Guest MrLolololXD
lol, that's absolutely obvious...

It was meant to be an obvious comparison :p

Also I agree with you, those Vision wheels would look awesome, plus they're wider :D

There are so many infos on German VW website, you can download an accesories brochure with . Don't be scared of Deutsch. :p

Hope I helped you ;)

It was meant to be an obvious comparison :p

Also I agree with you, those Vision wheels would look awesome, plus they're wider :D

Ok then. :lol: Visions look really cool, that's true. :nods: