We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

iPod or normal MP3/4 Player?

Baldy

Ipod for me because its the cheapest per GB (with the ipod classic). Thanks to the clickwheel you can easily browse to your video/music collection. And with an Av cable you can easily connect your ipod to a TV

But there's one problem with the Ipod, Itunes it works like crap on windows and you have to convert your movies to .mp4 to let them work.

I-pods are great but hate i-tunes and their own format. I really want an i-phone but can't justify the cost when saving for uni. Thing is no other player really seems to have everything quite so perfect as the i-pod, small, lots of memory ect. and not at all geeky which is quite impressive on apples part.

I have an archos 504, old and too big now but great for films and music dvd's. Currently looking for a small mp3 player but the iphone keeps on tempting me way too much.

iPod.

People who don't have one just cannot understand how much easier they make your life. Well mine has for me.

I bought a cheap MP3/4 player off Ebuyer a few years ago. It had some weird earphone jack so I had to buy an adapter to get any decent earphones to fit the MP3 player. The menus were annoying to navigate around, it was slow, held a limited amount of my music and eventually it gave up on letting me listen to music altogether.

The iPod does the exact opposite for me. I'm glad I got one. I only have one problem and that's iTunes because it sometimes duplicates my music but I can deal with that easily.

Baldred you're really excelling yourself tonight with these threads, might as well though before this sub forum inevitably dies.

I-pods are great but hate i-tunes and their own format.

It isn't their own format, .m4a or AAC is a variant of MP4 and is open source. It's up to other hardware manufactures to implement it on their hardware. It is the best form of audio compression.

Otherwise open the preferences and tell iTunes to encode in MP3.

I have an iPod Touch because... it's cool and I have a mac so choice is kinda limited.

I don't really like iPods; although I have never owned one so I dunno why. Practically they seem very overpriced and iTunes is a bit of a bugger to use having tried it myself.

I use a Creative Zen 8gb which is perfect for me. An 80gb iPod would be completely useless in my case, but great for others, it all depends on your needs. The zen is light and compact but has a nice sized screen and surprisingly good audio quality, I can't really fault it.

Having not owned an iPod I can't really judge much, but I just don't feel I need one and they're too expensive imo. My 'media' player was the same price as a 4gb iPod shuffle when I bought it.

Baldred you're really excelling yourself tonight with these threads, might as well though before this sub forum inevitably dies.

Why thank you, may as well make the most of it while it still smells nice and new. (This section I mean)

I have a ye olde 4th gen ipod & it does me well. it just won't die. it's been dropped, submerged in water, flung about my glove box while i drive & it still plays like the day i got it.

This is a 4th gen ipod for those that don't know

(monochrome screen ftl)

ipod_4.jpg

I use a Creative Zen 8gb which is perfect for me. An 80gb iPod would be completely useless in my case, but great for others, it all depends on your needs. The zen is light and compact but has a nice sized screen and surprisingly good audio quality, I can't really fault it.

Wa-hey! I have one too! So great to see you buying Singaporean :D But how long have you had it? I bought mine in Dec 07 and am now starting to have quite a few problems with it. E.g. the buttons are wonky (unresponsive and sometimes not going to completely the wrong menu), some files disappear randomly, a number of songs have their names screwed up (like "Linkin Park" becoming just "L") and up till recently completely not able to go to "clean up" mode.

Up until say a year ago, i'd definitely have said "other MP3 player" simply because iPods are too darned common. Now though, with the aforementioned problems, I'm not so sure. I suppose now the main determinant will be price. The good thing about Creative products is that they are MUCH cheaper. My Creative Zen 8GB cost me $300, whereas an iPod Nano 4GB cost $350, and yet the Zen had so much more functions and features than the Nano

One main issue with me and gadgets is that they have to look nice, sleek and modern. Not many mp3/4 players do that to my standards. Expect the 4th gen iPod Nano, which is the first iPod i've owned. I love it! I did think about a touch, with it's added functionality and much bigger screen (film viewing is much better). I mainly got it over the touch because it looks soo much nicer. Especially in red.

I mean! Look!!!

3303471338_cce77f6609.jpg

:drool:

The click-wheel is very easy to use. Menus are great. I've been using iTunes for years on windows and have never had a problem. It took some getting used to with the change from mainly browsing through to find a song, to using the search bar. But I can't go back to WMP. Not ever!

The video formats in .mp4 don't bother me. If I want a film on there, I shove the .avi or .mkv into Sony Vegas and let it do it's thing - 30mins later it's ready for my iPod. Gotta love Quad-Core :D

Wa-hey! I have one too! So great to see you buying Singaporean :D But how long have you had it? I bought mine in Dec 07 and am now starting to have quite a few problems with it. E.g. the buttons are wonky (unresponsive and sometimes not going to completely the wrong menu), some files disappear randomly, a number of songs have their names screwed up (like "Linkin Park" becoming just "L") and up till recently completely not able to go to "clean up" mode.

;)

I've had it about 4-5 months and luckily haven't encountered any of these problems. You could try updating the firmware, have a look online for how to do that. The newer 8gb's come with the latest version already installed.

Another thing, how full is the memory on it? You often get alot of issues with them if you cram stuff into every last gb.

The buttons do feel a little 'clicky' at times for me, but at least then you know that you've pressed something. Other than that I'm pretty pleased with it, cost £75 I think, which is great value imo.

Yeah the firmware is one thing the customer support suggested i do. And these problems only started showing up - guess when? Just after a year after it was purchased, i.e. just as the one-year warranty ran out.

And I don't mind the "clicky" buttons, i really don't, but the issue is that nowadays you have to press the button really hard to get a response. And then there are times when it responds wrongly, e.g. when i press the "skip track" button, the player instead goes to the previous menu...