We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced!!

Eudemon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the game looks very good, and I know what I have read in the norwegian GameReactor so ofcourse I'm looking very much to the release.

This is a game I have dreamed about since I was playing around with toycars. TDU1 had something going but TDU2 has even more.

Lol, I remember how long the demo for forza 2 took to download, it'll probably be just as bad for this simply because of teh traffic from here

Edit: On another note, the first thing I'm doing when the game comes out is getting the achievement for buying cars off other people... I know they say lightening doesn't strike twice, but i'm not going to put it past atari to break it and disable it for a year again :P

As far as the 'size' of the environment goes (be it stretch of road or area), can we clear things up and post the most likely situation somewhere prominent?

Wikipedia tells us that Ibiza is 220km sq, and O'ahu is 596km sq.

Ibiza in TDU2 will have more roads than O'ahu in TDU1.

O'ahu will be back in TDU2, but with more roads (offroad tracks, etc) than what was in TDU1 (according to the report in 2007 by that Intern dude) (possibly no longer the case, but we'll see).

Hypothesis for explaining why TDU2 will be 2.5x bigger than the original game:

O'ahu in TDU2 will have all of the roads from TDU1 (1x) PLUS a whole lot of new roads, since half the island had no roads before (~1x), plus there is a new, smaller island called Ibiza in the game (~0.5x).

1x + 1x + 0.5x = 2.5x

As far as the 'size' of the environment goes (be it stretch of road or area), can we clear things up and post the most likely situation somewhere prominent?

Wikipedia tells us that Ibiza is 220km sq, and O'ahu is 596km sq.

Ibiza in TDU2 will have more roads than O'ahu in TDU1.

O'ahu will be back in TDU2, but with more roads (offroad tracks, etc) than what was in TDU1 (according to the report in 2007 by that Intern dude) (possibly no longer the case, but we'll see).

Hypothesis for explaining why TDU2 will be 2.5x bigger than the original game:

O'ahu in TDU2 will have all of the roads from TDU1 (1x) PLUS a whole lot of new roads, since half the island had no roads before (~1x), plus there is a new, smaller island called Ibiza in the game (~0.5x).

1x + 1x + 0.5x = 2.5x

:confused::confused:

What do you mean "O'ahu will be back in TDU2" ??

x = legnth of roads in km of TDU1

The equation is EXISTING TDU1 ROADS x NEW OAHU ROADS x IBIZA ROADS

The road area of TDU1 is obviously equal to itself.

The new roads amount to (guessing here) almost as much as TDU1 had.

The Ibiza roads, as we've discussed, are about equal to half of Oahu.

Therefore, the only way for the equation to work is for Oahu to return with almost twice as many roads (coincidentally backing up the "increased detail" claim). Is that helpful?

-Leadfoot

Uhh, I mean "O'ahu will be back in TDU2"... :)

At the end of the first game, our character is a millionaire. The second part picks up the story after the ruin of our hero. Indeed he suffers several setbacks that lead to bankruptcy. To be able to resume his lifestyle and status, he fled on a small island and hope to return to Hawaii. The player goes in search of new challenges but also motor two wheels to recuperate.

On TDU 2, the major innovation was to bring the player in play areas do not exist in reality by allowing him to leave the road and being driven or he sees fit and all with variable weather.

It's one times PLUS one times (approx) PLUS half times (approx) EQUALS two and a half times. (1x1x0.5 = 0.5) :)

It's probably more fair to say that the new roads in O'ahu would be closer to 0.8 times, and Ibiza 0.7. (1 + 0.7 + 0.8 = 2.5)

;289641']x = legnth of roads in km of TDU1

The equation is EXISTING TDU1 ROADS x NEW OAHU ROADS x IBIZA ROADS

The road area of TDU1 is obviously equal to itself.

The new roads amount to (guessing here) almost as much as TDU1 had.

The Ibiza roads, as we've discussed, are about equal to half of Oahu.

Therefore, the only way for the equation to work is for Oahu to return with almost twice as many roads (coincidentally backing up the "increased detail" claim). Is that helpful?

-Leadfoot

Yeah but in the Gamereactor article they didn't talk about O'ahu being reused in TDU2:

"More than 1500 kilometres of road was available to drive on, located on Oahu in Hawaii. This feels like nothing compared to Test Drive Unlimited 2 which is a whole 2.5 times bigger and is enacted on the Spanish island of Ibiza [...]"

It would be very strange to have 2 completely different islands (different vegetation, architecture, climate.....) next to each other.

So I think it's 3750km of drivable roads/tracks in Ibiza only (Ibiza is 570km2 and has roads going all over the place, so 3575km is possible imo.)

I may be mistaken, but the TDU2 which involved returning to Oahu was scrapped. TDU2 as we've seen was a different project, which is why Diab reffered to it as 'Test Drive: Next' which turned out to be 'Test Drive: High Life' (which is what we're seeing now)

Simply put, don't assume we're on Oahu again until it's confirmed (they might do it as a surprise reveal later or something though) I'd also be weary if assuming we're having Hummers/Buggies/ATVs/Motocross Bikes. From what we know they're retaining the offroad aspect, but I have a suspicion they've toned it down from the hardcore offroad experience we've seen in concepts :)

we have no idea what the magazines have actually seen, how complete the game they saw was, or if they saw stuff they were not permitted to mention....yet. its all speculation, and will be until we all have a copy in our hands. Atari and Eden are playing this pretty smart, giving little bits here and there. hopefully they are including both O'ahu and Ibiza, as well as some off-road stuff

I know what you mean. I don't want to 'have' to spend too much time there completing stuff, esp near the start of the game. But if they do improve things (i.e. sealed tarmac runways at the airport, as one example), I would still hang around O'ahu to make movies, etc. It's a bit like those older Tony Hawk skateboarding games, that kept putting in the Warehouse level from the first game, or NFS 4 including the tracks from NFS3.

Like many of you have said we don't know anything and won't know anything until we are either told or shown it. Could O'ahu be back in yes it could, but at the same time why go back to an island many of us know really well even if it did include a load of new roads. It would be good and like seeing an old friend of course, but if what we have been reading is true, then it appears rather than just loosely basing the roads and such on the location like TDU, TDU2 is in fact going to be extremely close to the actual Ibiza.

Sometimes sequels like to try new things and go a slightly different direction to it's predecessor, these are true sequels they don't just throw the same thing at you and say pay for it again with extra added jam! No they innovate and grow upon the original's success and tbh I can't wait to see just a tropical island setting with dynamic day, night and of course weather. :D

Wish the end of this month would hurry up though! :lol:

I hope Oahu is not in. What's left in there for the character? He reached what he could reach, he went through everything, the whole list. He bought every car for sale on the island, he has driven all roads at least a thousand times, he has been beaten by cheaters, he has broken speedrecords, he has a Golden Membership at every estate agency. I'd say Owahoo is a closed chapter. It's time to move on to a new location...

...to go through the whole thing again :lol:

I guess nobody knows anything yet about a storyline? Asking because of the ''narrative mode'' part in the announcement... I wonder if it might be true that you went bankrupt after TDU1, and now have to work your way up in TDU2...

From what we could read in the internship Diablo posted a while ago in another TDU 2 topic, the story was something along the lines of your character looses everything and is "stranded" on a small island. He then needs to prove his skill again to go to the main island or something like that. I remember the report saying something about 2 islands, but definitely not Ohau, it's supposed to be a smaller one.

Anyway, as always it's speculation based on some foggy info that could be true or false...