We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Subaru is back as we know and love it!

Who

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/03/0217familywrx4d1-0.jpg

Via: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/22/new-york-preview-subaru-wrx-goes-widebody-for-2011/

Since the introduction of the third-generation Impreza, Subaru has been making incremental improvements to the rally-bred WRX, first with a significant bump in output for the 2009 MY and now the adoption of the STI's widebody design for 2011. And not only does the five-door model benefit from its pumped-up sibling's sheetmetal, but the sedan gets a much-needed testosterone injection to boot.

With a 1.5 inch-wider track front and rear, the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX's stance is decidedly more aggressive, and with firmer rear subframe bushings pulled from the STI and wider 17x8-inch wheels wrapped in 235/45R17 rubber, the 2011 'Rex is assuredly stickier than its predecessor.

The cosmetic mods don't end with the widened fenders, as the front fascia receives a restylized front lip spoiler, partnered with a larger, blacked-out grille and intakes. The whole package only increases the curb weight of the WRX by 34 pounds, and coupled with the "265-horsepower" turbocharged 2.5-liter flat-four, the 2011 WRX has the goods to back up its looks... no matter which body-style you choose. Full details in the press release after the jump and expect a slew of shots from the floor at the New York Auto Show.

I think it looks like a proper subaru again, the hatchback just isn't right.

Saw this a few days ago on Jalopnik. As an STi lover (STi - the '04 era :) ), I am happy to see the WRX be made a rally car again - enough of that "comfortable on long distances" nonsense from 2009. Thing is, it'll be interesting to see what they do to the new (or next?) STI...

-Leadfoot

It's the US version, running on their watered down petrol... hence why they get less power and less fuel efficiency

only one gripe with this actually...

they still haven't got the back end right. there needs to be a whale tail, in proper subaru style!

Ya know, when I first saw this thead title, I thought you meant that Subaru had announced they were going back to the WRC...

And about this new car, well, I was actually growing quite used to the hatchback STi... The thing I don't like about this is that it seems more a Subaru USA rather than Subaru Japan creation...