We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Report: Dodge originally developed Mercedes SLS AMG to be Next-Gen Dodge Viper.

Shy Guy

Dodge-Viper-Mercedes-Benz-SLS-Overlay-440x330.jpg

There's a lot to like about the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. After all, we're talking about a sleek, 563-horsepower super-Benz with functional gullwing doors and a soundtrack to melt your heart. It's the embodiment of German engineering... or is it? Inside Line cites unnamed sources who say that the SLS AMG actually began life as the next-generation Dodge Viper.

The story apparently goes like this. Dodge engineers were already hard at work on the next-gen Viper, with an aluminum chassis already completed and a new suspension on the way. Mercedes caught wind of the project and decided that the chassis would be the perfect starting point for the upcoming SLS. The two teams reportedly worked side-by-side on the project until Chrysler's cash crunch caused the Dodge team to focus its resources elsewhere. The end result was a brand-new SLS for Mercedes and a hole in Dodge's Viper lineup. IL bolsters its account of the Viper-turned-SLS with the fact that early SLS test mules caught by spy photogs were fitted with ill-assembled Viper sheetmetal.

While it's hard to blame Mercedes for utilizing existing engineering work (it did, after all own Chrysler at the time) to bring the SLS to market faster and cheaper, we're thinking it would have been nice to have a new aluminum chassis Viper on the streets. Here's hoping that the 2012 Viper makes us forget about our loss.

Source: Autoblog.

To be honest I wasn't very surprised that the two were related, after all they were using Viper body parts during testing, I still like the SLS and Viper but seeing a new Viper would have been great.

but still I'd rather see a brand new car than revamped version of an already established and quality car.

I'm trying to work out if you're referring to the original 300SL or if you're labeling the Viper as a quality car?

I wasn't surprized seeing how the first mules looked like. I don't think it would have looked better though as a Viper, and the fact that Merc made it into the SLS means we get more types. The Gullwing coupe is released, the softtop convertible is upcoming, an electric version is planned, the GT3 model has been shown and the AMG Performance Studio would try to get a few SLS'es to turn them into Black Series cars.

I'm trying to work out if you're referring to the original 300SL or if you're labeling the Viper as a quality car?

Well the SLS is only a tribute to the original Gullwing, it's not based on the original car in anyway. As for the Viper being a quality car - it's better built than a Corvette. What it drives like I neither know nor care.

I don't think the SLS is ugly, nor do I think it's gorgeous, it's the same way with the Viper.

It's my first hearing that Mercedes would do something like this, Dodge shouldn't have let this be taken out of their hands. I would've been so much more excited for a new Viper, because this just didn't make me even rise an eyebrow.

(FYI, I don't really give a flying crap about Mercedes and the cars they're currently making, that's why it's that way)

I don't care for the Viper but I'm not into remakes of classics, which is why I'm delighted the new Miura never saw the light of day. Same for the SLS and the Ford GT, the originals I like, the remakes are meh.

So all in all I'd of preferred a new Viper, but I'm not excited for either.

As for the Viper being a quality car - it's better built than a Corvette.

lol what?

But anyhow, Dodge really missed out on their chance with this one. It may not be the best looking thing in he world, but it's certainly better quality then the Viper is now. Anything would be an improvement.

Well the SLS is only a tribute to the original Gullwing, it's not based on the original car in anyway. As for the Viper being a quality car - it's better built than a Corvette. What it drives like I neither know nor care.

True. If you want a modern 300SL you should contact HWA, the racingpartner of Merc for the DTM (A stands for Aufrecht, same as the A of AMG). They díd make a 300SL with modern AMG driveterrain.

Well, I just hope Mercedes doesn't prevent Dodge from building their new Viper (like the way Mercedes did with the Chrysler ME-412).

Mercedes didn't prevent the ME-412 from happening, other things did.

Chrysler's financial troubles started even before GM's or Ford's did. They simply couldn't afford to build a car like that. Plus, there was, and still really isn't, a market or that kind of car. Chrysler is a luxury car brand. Barely luxury, but luxury none the less. They have never ventured into supercar territory and are not ready to. They at least need to produce a sports car first, at least to have experience and see if people are interested.

lol what?

LOL I'm gonna try and not be a fan boy here but:p

The Viper has been around since 93? and its going out of production

The Vette has been around since 1953 and is still going on

so you tell me which is better now, obviously the general public finds the Vette better, don't get me wrong though, I like them both.

LOL I'm gonna try and not be a fan boy here but:p

The Viper has been around since 93? and its going out of production

The Vette has been around since 1953 and is still going on

so you tell me which is better now, obviously the general public finds the Vette better, don't get me wrong though, I like them both.

Keep in mind that the Viper is the reason GM took the Corvette's performance to a whole new level, before the Viper it was comparable to a Nissan 300ZX or a Mustang, but when the Viper came out it made a bang and GM improved their Corvette, the modern day ZR1 was also caused by the Viper when it got an update in 2008 with 600HP. If the Viper wasn't made the Corvette would most likely be very different than the Corvette we have today.

And the Viper is only going out of production for around 2-3 years, it will be replaced by a brand new Viper with a Ferrari-derived V10 and possibly but highly unlikely a Maserati GranTurismo based Chassis.

And the Viper is only going out of production for around 2-3 years, it will be replaced by a brand new Viper with a Ferrari-derived V10 and possibly but highly unlikely a Maserati GranTurismo based Chassis.

no even dodge themselves (Ralph Gilles actually) said that Ferrari is Ferrari and Viper is Viper they are not mixing the two, not using engines/chassis from one to make the other

Mercedes didn't prevent the ME-412 from happening, other things did.

Chrysler's financial troubles started even before GM's or Ford's did. They simply couldn't afford to build a car like that.

um no another old fashioned Daimler move to screw Chrysler over again they put the project to a halt after they realized it would destroy their dear SLR and be half the price

"The SLR McLaren is the top of the Mercedes [sport] line.. they've spent millions on it.. and they've spent years on it.. it represents the best of anything Mercedes.

Enter the ME-412.. they took a Mercedes engine.. took it to Mercedes tuner... they spent a year.. and outdid the SLR McLaren..

Chrysler can do in 12 months what it takes Mercedes years.. and not only can it do that, it can do that with their parts for less and better to boot!"

and the financial problems of Chrysler happened because of Daimler using Chrysler and leaving them out to slowly whither away :mad:

This is surprising. The SLS is an awesome car and for it to be made alongside the new Viper is worrying. The only awesome Viper was the first and second gen ones. I used to love play Gran Turismo in that trying to tackle the corkscrew.

Viper is a good car, don't get me wrong but it's completely different to the SLS.