We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Crap of Duty Going Subscription Based?

Immelmann

Kotick would like to “create an online world for Call of Duty”

June 19th, 2010 @ 20:34

By Stephany Nunneley

bobbykoticka2

Bobby Kotick has said that if he could make one instant change for Activision, it would be to create an online world for Call of Duty.

Speaking with The Wall Street Journal, Kotick that doing so would give players a much more “compelling experience” as as well as “really satisfy the interests of the customers”.

“I would have Call of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow”, he told the online version of the paper when asked what he wanted should he “snap his fingers”.

“When you think about what the audience’s interests are and how you could really satisfy bigger audiences with more inspired, creative opportunities, I would love to see us have an online Call of Duty world.

“I think our players would just have so much of a more compelling experience.

“I think our audiences are clamoring for it. If you look at what they’re playing on Xbox Live today, we’ve had 1.7 billion hours of multiplayer play on Live. I think we could do a lot more to really satisfy the interests of the customers.

“I think we could create so many things, and make the game even more fun to play. We haven’t really had a chance to do that yet, so that would be my snap of the fingers”.

When asked if that was indeed coming, Kotick only replied “hopefully”.

You can read the full thing if you have an online subscription to the site – or you can just Google: Steve Jobs Convinced Me to Quit College and get it that way.

Source

Kotick Wants Call of Duty Subscriptions "Tomorrow"

67355.jpg

Like it or not, Call of Duty is going to have a subscription service attached to it sooner than we might think.

Activision has talked about adding a subscription service to its Call of Duty franchise in the past, but now CEO Bobby Kotick is itching to make it happen soon. How soon? Tomorrow, if possible.

When asked by the Wall Street Journal what he would do with his company if he had one wish, he replied: "I would have Call of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow. When you think about what the audience's interests are and how you could really satisfy bigger audiences with more inspired, creative opportunities, I would love to see us have an online Call of Duty world. I think our players would just have so much of a more compelling experience."

He left out that it would also generate millions of dollars, but that's pretty much implied. Kotick added that this kind of service is "hopefully" coming, and that he thinks "audiences are clamoring for it."

But this isn't just about making money, it's also about expanding the Call of Duty experience and creating something bigger, if Kotick's further comments ring true. He also said: "I think we could do a lot more to really satisfy the interests of the customers. I think we could create so many things, and make the game even more fun to play. We haven't really had a chance to do that yet."

It wouldn't be crazy to expect a subscription service somehow associated with the Call of Duty franchise sometime by the end of 2011 if the top dog of Activision wants it to happen "tomorrow." I'm wondering exactly what this would mean, though Kotick's comments hint that he wants a persistent world that is still experienced through consoles rather than PCs. You never know, the MMOFPS genre that hasn't typically lit the online PC world on fire could be a perfect fit for the millions of people playing Call of Duty on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Via: VG247

Source

Gotta love Activision. I just don't understand how such a miserable game has been such a huge success! Then again, all the fashion sheep still go to AberEagle and American Fitch, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that people are this malleable.

*sigh* Doesn't he realize that the team that built him that game all, um, left and are suing because they weren't paid the money they, as per previously-made legal agreements, earned?

As one of those "consumers," I would like to give my $0.02 (not literally - stop pestering me, Activision!) and say that it would "really satisfy" me not to pay per month of usage.

-Leadfoot

If CoD really goes this way, I think I might give up on the series altogether, and that's a pretty big thing for a fan right from the first game. I already skipped WaW and was less than enamored with MW2 (wouldn't even have played if not for my schoolmates) so if they go this route, they're going to lose another paying fan

I thought their main Audience were trigger happy 12 year olds? I'm sure the majority of them will get their parents to pay out, but I still think they'll lose a lot of players by doing this.

Not that I care, at all.

Well, it wasn't like that when I started out with the franchise (even though I was a trigger-happy 13 year old, but I'd like to think I had a better attitude than the kids now). Back then most of the people were pretty mature, and games were much more balanced, thanks to the Dual 1887's and Chopper Gunners not being brought in yet. Oh, and much much less hacking and cheating. I suppose it's because CoD, CoD: UO and CoD 2 revolved around WW2, thus only the more serious gamers bothered to pick it up. I think the plot and action of MW and MW2 have drawn much more people, although as we can see, that's not necessarily a good thing

CoD going subscription = No more money from me.

I've had every CoD to date and loved them (except World at War, that was naff) but if Activision/IW agree to the subscription based playing, then I'm afraid I'll no longer contribute to their profit.

I wouldn't play it anymore. I wouldn't really have the money either. Activison are greedy people who've ruined a good game. I hope people realise that before it goes subscription based so that they don't get any more revenue.